Curing 101 help please

So, i dry trimmed all my plants, got em into jars and they were reading 55% humidity, i understand they are a little over dryed. I added a large moisture pac to bring em up to 60%.
Do i still burp the jars ??
I’d leave them at 55. Jar em up tight. No burp. There is no point to try to cure (slo-dry) once you hit 55. You are as dry as your going to get without making dust. You’re dry enough for long storage. Only reason to add moisture is because you like smoking wetter bud or you want to risk mold.
People jar up at 68–70rh and burp till around 60–62. All they’re doing is slow drying. The slower the better but if you hang your plants or colas at 60f/60rh for two weeks or more they are ready to jar and don’t need burping.

Curing—is leaving enough moisture in your buds for a specified period of time at a specific temperature to allow anaerobic digestion to occur consuming nitrogen and off gassing alcohol once you “burp”. You gotta go through the whole sweat thing to even get close to a cure.

People like the Malawians “cured”.
sometimes unintentional curing occurred in bails of Colombian gold and Mexican brick weed during smuggling when the humidity and heat was just right—other times it would mold. Smoked both—the cured stuff was amazing.

I’d leave them at 55. Jar em up tight. No burp. There is no point to try to cure (slo-dry) once you hit 55. You are as dry as your going to get without making dust. You’re dry enough for long storage. Only reason to add moisture is because you like smoking wetter bud or you want to risk mold.
People jar up at 68–70rh and burp till around 60–62. All they’re doing is slow drying. The slower the better but if you hang your plants or colas at 60f/60rh for two weeks or more they are ready to jar and don’t need burping.

Curing—is leaving enough moisture in your buds for a specified period of time at a specific temperature to allow anaerobic digestion to occur consuming nitrogen and off gassing alcohol once you “burp”. You gotta go through the whole sweat thing to even get close to a cure.

People like the Malawians “cured”.
sometimes unintentional curing occurred in bails of Colombian gold and Mexican brick weed during smuggling when the humidity and heat was just right—other times it would mold. Smoked both—the cured stuff was amazing.

Yes,Ok, they slow dryed in my tent for a week at 68° and averaged 60%RH.

They still have to remain jarred up to cure, is that correct ??

Slow drying and curing are completely different steps, correct ???

Yes,Ok, they slow dryed in my tent for a week at 68° and averaged 60%RH.

They still have to remain jarred up to cure, is that correct ??

Slow drying and curing are completely different steps, correct ???
Once you hit 55rh the cure is dead. No amount of moisture is going to bring it around and change anything.

Slow drying is what most do-People like to call it curing.

Curing occurs When moisture in the buds is above 55rh and O2 is removed and temp is above 80f the buds start to consume nitrogen (green) in place of O2. This is a type of fermentation. The buds will brown up (gold) and take on the old Colombian gold flavor and effects. But you shouldn’t worry about that with your weed—smoke it up and slow dry or cure your next grow.

Once you hit 55rh the cure is dead. No amount of moisture is going to bring it around and change anything.

Slow drying is what most do-People like to call it curing.

Curing occurs When moisture in the buds is above 55rh and O2 is removed and temp is above 80f the buds start to consume nitrogen (green) in place of O2. This is a type of fermentation. The buds will brown up (gold) and take on the old Colombian gold flavor and effects. But you shouldn’t worry about that with your weed—smoke it up and slow dry or cure your next grow.

Im not following this at all. I thought a slow dry removes moisture. Once the plant material drys to the point where it can be stored, its then left to further consuming sugars and vegge flavors, which im told is a month or so, longer the better im told also.

By your explaination, it makes it sound like its ready to be used once the dry is done.

Im new to gtrowing and im sorry if my understanding is wrong, but if i could indulge you further, to clear this up, it would be of great help.

Thank you

Im not following this at all. I thought a slow dry removes moisture. Once the plant material drys to the point where it can be stored, its then left to further consuming sugars and vegge flavors, which im told is a month or so, longer the better im told also.

By your explaination, it makes it sound like its ready to be used once the dry is done.

Im new to gtrowing and im sorry if my understanding is wrong, but if i could indulge you further, to clear this up, it would be of great help.

Thank you
I mentioned that your weed is ready to jar after two weeks of of hanging—dark 60rh 60f. It’s ready to consume right then and there, full of flavor and strong smell. Open the jar once a day and your giving up terpins, flavor and character.
You can leave your weed hanging in the dark 60/60 environment indefinitely as a perpetual jar like a walk in humidor.
I don’t know what else to tell you—continue calling the slow dry (jar burping nonsense) a cure if you want or take some of your weed a simulate a Malawi cure. Here’s an about a half ounce of ’cured’ bud. Once you go through a real cure you’ll know what’s up. The smell, the high, flavor, everything changes. You can eat this stuff too for a trippy high.
Throwing a couple racks of baby backs on the grill a 225f for 7 hours will give you some killer ribs but it isn’t ‘cured’ meat
6C60BEB2-6525-44CB-BE0A-CC0FCCA2CFE5.jpeg

Hey @The70’s If you were hanging at 60/60 they should not be that low. How long were the buds in the jar when you read 55%? Did they go up at all after the first day? Did you calibrate your hygrometer?

I have been hanging my plants whole in a tent that is humidity controlled set at 65%. So, @zigzagman should I be able to just let them hang until I need to clean them and skip the jars?

those are called cobs, its part and parcel of the Malawi cure

it does change flavor and terpenoids but it delivers a super smooth smoke. You will be puffing away thinking dang this is low potency weed but then you realize you got your A$$ handed to ya but you didn’t even cough once.

zigzagman has made some tasty looking cobs

@ZIGZAG MAN how do you acheive the malawi cure? it almost looks like hash.
That ‘cob’ was made by taking a 6” long ¾ “ diameter piece of pvc and cramming 1 ounce of 85%rh weed in it for compaction. I then had to split the pipe to remove the plug. Vacuum sealed it (seal a meal) and placed in a food dehydrator at 120f for 24hrs. Open up and let dry out at room temp for a couple hours, reseal and throw it on top of the cable box for 3mo’s at 80f—open—let dry and enjoy. Smoke it, eat it, chew it like Copenhagen. Last longer and effects can get a little trippy.

That ‘cob’ was made by taking a 6” long ¾ “ diameter piece of pvc and cramming 1 ounce of 85%rh weed in it for compaction. I then had to split the pipe to remove the plug. Vacuum sealed it (seal a meal) and placed in a food dehydrator at 120f for 24hrs. Open up and let dry out at room temp for a couple hours, reseal and throw it on top of the cable box for 3mo’s at 80f—open—let dry and enjoy. Smoke it, eat it, chew it like Copenhagen. Last longer and effects can get a little trippy.
Sounds fn great 😊 I got to try that. How much is a vacuum sealer?

Back
Top Bottom