Drying question

KJM

So my weed has been drying about 8 days at 55-60 rh and about 60f temp. The buds seem pretty dry but not crispy. I put some in jars overnight and the humidity in the jars stayed at about 59-60 rh. Does this mean the buds are dry enough? Will the rh creep up over time? These jars are still in the 60f temp garage, when I bring them into the warmer house for storage will this cause the rh to decrease? Sorry for all the questions but I never did this before and don't want to f-up. I plan on burping the jars daily for a while. I think around 60 rh is good?

So my weed has been drying about 8 days at 55-60 rh and about 60f temp. The buds seem pretty dry but not crispy. I put some in jars overnight and the humidity in the jars stayed at about 59-60 rh. Does this mean the buds are dry enough? Will the rh creep up over time? These jars are still in the 60f temp garage, when I bring them into the warmer house for storage will this cause the rh to decrease? Sorry for all the questions but I never did this before and don't want to f-up. I plan on burping the jars daily for a while. I think around 60 rh is good?
Good morning my friend.
Congratulations on your harvest.
When the little branches on the branches snap they are ready for jars.
Putting a few buds in jars to see rh is a good way to check.
I usually jar at anywhere under 67% .
Some like it a little drying.
But at 67 % I can burp for 3 weeks and drop rh to 62% where I like it.
What is it at now?

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

The stuff I put in the jars seemed to stay around 60%. I have all that I've trimmed now out in trays to make sure they are dry enough. If the room is 60% rh, should the buds stay at around the same, or will they get dryer and get too dry?

The stuff I put in the jars seemed to stay around 60%. I have all that I've trimmed now out in trays to make sure they are dry enough. If the room is 60% rh, should the buds stay at around the same, or will they get dryer and get too dry?

jar the rest now.
monitor the jars rh and burp it less than usual if it stays at 60%. they still could climb if you leave them sealed a day r two. when you're certain it's dead stable, leave them sealed and let sit for a month. check it occasionally. once it's been jarred a month solid it should be cured in.

you might want some boveda packs for longer term storage. you can add them now even if you like. i've burped jars stable with them before, then just left them sealed up to cure in. i think most folk add them after the burp / cure.

If the room is 60% rh, should the buds stay at around the same, or will they get dryer and get too dry?
Dryer and eventually too dry.

I can remember forgetting about weed left in the plastic sandwich bags; the kind that rolled up and not zip-lock, and when I found it again it was dry, sometimes very dry.

If your harvest is at 60% now then you are ready for the next step. Put the buds into the jars and begin the cure. The first steps include opening the jar at least once a day for awhile. Then every other day as the moisture slowly leaves the stems, etc. Eventually the jar does not have to be opened much at all.

jar the rest now.
monitor the jars rh and burp it less than usual if it stays at 60%. they still could climb if you leave them sealed a day r two. when you're certain it's dead stable, leave them sealed and let sit for a month. check it occasionally. once it's been jarred a month solid it should be cured in.

you might want some boveda packs for longer term storage. you can add them now even if you like. i've burped jars stable with them before, then just left them sealed up to cure in. i think most folk add them after the burp / cure.
Yeah, i've got those boveda packs. Probably I'll do like yo say and put it in jars and check humidity for a few days and burp every day and then if that holds steady RH i'll add the packs. Is an ounce of weed too much to put in a liter jar? It is full but not packed in tight.

Yeah, i've got those boveda packs. Probably I'll do like yo say and put it in jars and check humidity for a few days and burp every day and then if that holds steady RH i'll add the packs. Is an ounce of weed too much to put in a liter jar? It is full but not packed in tight.
Depending on the weight of bud's you can get up to 2 ounces in a jar.
But I go by volume.
Leave an inch or so at the top of the jar.
So you can shake the jars a little and the buds aren't compacted.
Then I set it upside down.
Each day I rotate the jars.
Makes it easier to tell which jars are burped already.
Cures more evenly aswell. Imo.
So volume not weight.
But you can weigh it and label each jar. :thumb:

Stay safe

Depending on the weight of bud's you can get up to 2 ounces in a jar.
But I go by volume.
Leave an inch or so at the top of the jar.
So you can shake the jars a little and the buds aren't compacted.
Then I set it upside down.
Each day I rotate the jars.
Makes it easier to tell which jars are burped already.
Cures more evenly aswell. Imo.
So volume not weight.
But you can weigh it and label each jar. :thumb:

Stay safe
your jars must be bigger then mine. I got 1 oz in each liter jar and they are loose but filled to the top! I got 10 oz so far from about half the plant.

your jars must be bigger then mine. I got 1 oz in each liter jar and they are loose but filled to the top! I got 10 oz so far from about half the plant.
That's terrific :bravo:

PSX_20221108_133240.jpg

PSX_20221107_180238.jpg

I didn't use the weird ones at the end.
But standard Mason jars.
Good solid colas will be 2 ounces when almost full.
But an ounce is Fantastic. :thumb:

Stay safe

I just went to my storage and pulled out some jars. Using a jar that has the volumes in metric and in US Imperial marked on the sides as the example, a 1 liter jar is the same as our 1 quart jar. Filling the jars up to just below the rim meets the volume.

Are you weighing the harvest before putting into the jar? I will weigh the total harvest and then put the buds into the jars without packing and do not weigh what is going in each jar.

Part of the confusion might be because @Bill284 says that the jars can hold up to 2 oz depending on how dense the buds are. If that is what he was getting at then 2 ounces of really dense buds might just fill a quart or liter volume. So if your buds are light and fluffy like many of mine are then the jar might only hold 1 ounce. How a person trims the buds will affect how much will fill a jar without packing in too tight.

He said he is going by volume so probably not all the jars hold two ounces, some maybe only holding one ounce.

While we are showing jars this is the harvest from a clone. The harvest was just over 3 ounces and most of the dried harvest is the buds still on the stick. The tall jars are mostly colas still on the stick which takes up room but does not weigh all that much. The tall jars are a regular-mouth quart, a wide-mouth quart, a regular-mouth quart and a 1 and a 1/2 pint (24 ounce) jar. The shorter jars are what looks like a straight sided regular-mouth pint and then a wide-mouth pint. The plant was a Blue Dream; a 7 generation clone from a clone after the mother.

I weighed what was in each jar. The buds are not very dense, that’s probably why I can only get an oz in each. I have 10.5 oz so far and that’s only half the plant. I put in even the small buds not just the big ones. Maybe I should keep the small ones separately? Are they all the same strength when smoked?

I weighed what was in each jar. The buds are not very dense, that’s probably why I can only get an oz in each. I have 10.5 oz so far and that’s only half the plant. I put in even the small buds not just the big ones. Maybe I should keep the small ones separately? Are they all the same strength when smoked?
I fill by volume not weight as stated above.
Doesn't matter how much weight, you don't want to compact the buds.
And need an inch or so for air at the top.
Some people separate the smaller buds out.
Smaller ones all together, not as potent sometimes.
But I just put it all together in the jar.
Making sure to leave that gap.
Are they in the jars now?

Stay safe

Yeah, they are in the jars now. The other half of the plant I cut almost a week later is still drying. I was thinking I might just put all of those buds in one plastic container with an air tight lid. That would be easier and less expensive then buying more jars.

Yeah, they are in the jars now. The other half of the plant I cut almost a week later is still drying. I was thinking I might just put all of those buds in one plastic container with an air tight lid. That would be easier and less expensive then buying more jars.
@InTheShed uses turkey bag's.
Cheep and easy.
Maby he can swing in and give you an idea of his method.
Hey Shed :ciao: got that pic of your bag's still?
Thanks.

Stay safe

Some people separate the smaller buds out.
Seems like there are several popular things to do with the small ones.

Easiest is to add to the jars and mix them all together. I do this with most plant harvests.

The other option is to separate and end up with a mini-stash saved up for hard times which is my next choice. I have noticed that other popular reasons to separate the small ones include saving for use in making hash. Or for making salves. Or for mixing into edibles.

It is that time of year. The bags should be going on sale with even better prices right after Thanksgiving so the store can clear them out.

Seems like there are several popular things to do with the small ones.

Easiest is to add to the jars and mix them all together. I do this with most plant harvests.

The other option is to separate and end up with a mini-stash saved up for hard times which is my next choice. I have noticed that other popular reasons to separate the small ones include saving for use in making hash. Or for making salves. Or for mixing into edibles.

It is that time of year. The bags should be going on sale with even better prices right after Thanksgiving so the store can clear them out.
Yeah mine are all mixed as of now. I might separate the second half of my harvest. I'm really interested in trying to make some kind of vape juice thats not too complicated and I could use the small stuff for experiments. I've been reading a lot of threads here on making the e-juice, but can't seem to find any clear methods that work well. If anyone knows of a good thread on this or has a good method I would love to hear about it!

I've been reading a lot of threads here on making the e-juice, but can't seem to find any clear methods that work well. If anyone knows of a good thread on this or has a good method I would love to hear about it!
@StoneOtter has one I believe.

Cheep and easy.
Maby he can swing in and give you an idea of his method.
Hey Shed :ciao: got that pic of your bag's still?
Thanks.
Be glad to help, thanks for the tag Bill! And like you, I don't seal mine for curing until at least 3 weeks from harvest.

The method is identical to burping in jars but with a lot less work! And besides the large size compared to jars, the air exchange is a lot more even given the size of the opening. I even lay them open on the bed with a fan on them if I need to lower the RH quickly. The wind holds them open and the hygrometers keep them from blowing around:

full

Turkey bags are only for the burping process rather than curing since they're not completely airtight and the RH inside will eventually match the ambient, so they go into jars for the curing stage.

Three bags vs 8 jars...easier, faster, and more complete!

And for anyone interested, I recently did a write up on my whole drying/burping/curing process, so let me repost it here:

I give my harvests air for the first 21 days after chop. Ideally that's 7 days hanging, 7 days of twice daily burping, and 7 days of once daily burping, though if they come off the lines early the entire process remains 21 days.
Then I seal them for curing with Boveda 62s for at least another 3 weeks before anyone gets a taste!

Keep in mind that the burping process is not just to get the flowers down to 62% from wherever the RH was when they came off the stems, though I've seen a lot of folks do that. The 21 days is important to allow the chlorophyll to outgas after harvest. In a dry area the flowers might get down to 62% in a week, and if you seal them at that point there won't be any more fresh air getting in, making the cure much less successful.

Incorrect drying/burping/curing is often why folks think their buds are harsh when they smoke them, and blame "leftover nutes in the flowers at harvest" for that. Turns out they're just messing up the last step.

Back
Top Bottom