Drying & Curing Question

So thanks to @InTheShed I found some good reading. None of which answers the question fully although it does contain the main question scientifically of, is there a difference in flower burped vs not burped. I'm burping and burping the appleberries now and will have some solid bro science to share soon. I say bro because the plants are from 2 seeds and I may or not be able to definitively answer the question. I will though...
Here's the read Reave's Soilless: Peat, Bark, Sphagnum, Perlite, White Widow 2018

The quotes you linked to mention getting fresh oxygen to the buds as part of the burping process, so according to that post, it's not just about lowering RH during the burping process, even though that is Mr. Krip's opening statement.

Also, that list of quotes doesn't link to any science, so could also just be a well-written collection of common practice rather than proven reality.

The quotes you linked to mention getting fresh oxygen to the buds as part of the burping process, so according to that post, it's not just about lowering RH during the burping process, even though that is Mr. Krip's opening statement.

Also, that list of quotes doesn't link to any science, so could also just be a well-written collection of common practice rather than proven reality.
Yeah, maybe we can sort it out a bit more in the next few weeks. My burping jars do smell of heaven! Haven't opened a #1 jar as yet. It was good reading regardless of the content. As far as I know no-one has the science. The commercial growers certainly don't. They will in the future when traditional drying goes out maybe , but until then Ptooey!

rehydrated bud, vs properly dried bud.

I finally dug out those jars of Strawberry Blue today and inspected them and just smoked a bunch. This is one of those large fluffy sativa strains. Spicy Thai smell and happy effect, with distinct strawberry smell as well. This has been my go- to bud for the last half year, for a sweet mild happy buzz.
A very unscientific test, which I think I decided to do because of chat on @Pinktiger777 ‘s thread (?)

Edit - yes, here

So anyway.... the overdried then rehydrated bud definitely seems to lack some terpenes. It seems less fumey in the nose, and I think also has a bit of a bitter off-note in the scent. I also detected this difference when smoking it.

I don’t put much faith in my own stoned judgement in a one-time comparison, without further inspection and tests. And neither should you. Will keep testing and report back, in the name of science.....
:passitleft:

:thanks: Weasel! It's so nice when folks come back and report on the tests they said they'd run. You should cross link that in Pink's thread as well if you haven't already.

the overdried then rehydrated bud definitely seems to lack some terpenes. It seems less fumey in the nose, and I think also has a bit of a bitter off-note in the scent. I also detected this difference when smoking it.
Given how long it's been in the jar (and stoned judgement notwithstanding), I'd say that sounds like old uncured weed to me. Give it another test for sure, but I'll bet you're pretty spot-on in your assessment.

I finally dug out those jars of Strawberry Blue today and inspected them and just smoked a bunch. This is one of those large fluffy sativa strains. Spicy Thai smell and happy effect, with distinct strawberry smell as well. This has been my go- to bud for the last half year, for a sweet mild happy buzz.
A very unscientific test, which I think I decided to do because of chat on @Pinktiger777 ‘s thread (?)

Edit - yes, here

So anyway.... the overdried then rehydrated bud definitely seems to lack some terpenes. It seems less fumey in the nose, and I think also has a bit of a bitter off-note in the scent. I also detected this difference when smoking it.

I don’t put much faith in my own stoned judgement in a one-time comparison, without further inspection and tests. And neither should you. Will keep testing and report back, in the name of science.....
:passitleft:
Nice test! Thanks.

Hello, @InTheShed and all. I did the burping of the appleberries test where I had a plant finished and had not burped. I just put it in jars and vac sealed, and opened one jar next to a burped one. There's no confusing the burped one is definitely more fragrant. I know two different plants from two seeds aren't a true test but it's a close second to one. So yes to burping and terpene retention vs no burping. In these jars there's a huge difference. The room fills up with stank almost immediately with burpy, not so much with vacuumy. :high-five:

So I really wish I could closet dry in the home. I've done a few smaller nugs in the closet and they always come out spectacular. However, to do circumstances, I cannot. So my tent secret grow room it is. That means warmer termperature (fluctuates between 65-80) and higher air flow. So the dry will be much faster than i'd prefer. Plan to dry the hole plant upside down. I'll only remove the large fan leaves before hanging. I'm going to jar once the buds are dry from the outside and the small stems almost snap. Then I plan to jar and burp daily for the 1st week (by burping I mean opening the jar briefly and toss the nugs in the jar lightly before re-closing) . If the RH is above 70% I'll leave them out for a few hours (Hopefully my dry is good and they go in the jars between 60-65). Once the first week of burbing is finshed, and RH is between 60-65% I'll move to once a week burping. I'll probably add 62% bovida packs on week 6.

So I really wish I could closet dry in the home. I've done a few smaller nugs in the closet and they always come out spectacular. However, to do circumstances, I cannot. So my tent secret grow room it is. That means warmer termperature (fluctuates between 65-80) and higher air flow. So the dry will be much faster than i'd prefer. Plan to dry the hole plant upside down. I'll only remove the large fan leaves before hanging. I'm going to jar once the buds are dry from the outside and the small stems almost snap. Then I plan to jar and burp daily for the 1st week (by burping I mean opening the jar briefly and toss the nugs in the jar lightly before re-closing) . If the RH is above 70% I'll leave them out for a few hours (Hopefully my dry is good and they go in the jars between 60-65). Once the first week of burbing is finshed, and RH is between 60-65% I'll move to once a week burping. I'll probably add 62% bovida packs on week 6.
Hi elbrandone, this drying thing at home seems to not be a stable science of timing and rh. With all the parameters differing from season to season we have to do the best we can. My recent harvest hung for 3 days before I had to jar/bag it for burping. Other times it takes a week and a half. Bud density has to be in the formula too. We have to juggle a bit but it's worth it to do the best we can! Your plan sounds good.

Hi elbrandone, this drying thing at home seems to not be a stable science of timing and rh. With all the parameters differing from season to season we have to do the best we can. My recent harvest hung for 3 days before I had to jar/bag it for burping. Other times it takes a week and a half. Bud density has to be in the formula too. We have to juggle a bit but it's worth it to do the best we can! Your plan sounds good.

Yeah density and size of nugs defintely play a role in drying naturally in a closet. This dry took 3 days for half the plants and another 3 days for the others. Overall I'm happy with my dry and on going cure at the moment.

I got 6 hanging right now. I screwed up my last blue cookies couple months ago jarring too early while my ak47 came out awesome. The blue cookies was denser sticky fragrant bud as well as the ak47. But the ak47 bud structure was a bit more able to dry quicker it seemed then the tougher blue cookies. With these 6 i was planning on hang whole plant for 3 weeks.. with 80 degree temps last week and air conditioning running in my drying room i was able to keep it doen to 60 70ish degrees in their. Had my dehumidifer running at around 50 1st 2 days or 3 then upto 65 now currently staying around 65ish buds feel dry but i know the denser stuff is still wet. Weathers gonna be mid 60s to 70 all week 1 day of showers so ill keep ac off and keep dehumidi at 65. I try to keep it newhere from 60-70 while drying and humidity down 1st few days . Im hoping to continue drying for im hoping least 3 or 4 more days but there looking ready soon. 1 thing i notice is irregardless of what ive tried in hang drying even if they look dry dry they never are to the point when i do jar them my humidity can go upto 80.. so i might just wait the 3 weeks. And make sure their hella dry b4 i start jarring. Only bud i see that gets to 65 rh quickly is the small buds. Those boveda 62s help alot but i notice if the bud is to wet it makes it more difficult on the bovedas to operate rh correctly by a few points. This buds so lovely and sweet all 3 strains look and smell amazing. Hate to mess this 1 up..lol the ak47 comes out super sticky sweet dank irregardless and i suspect this 9 pound hammer is gonna come out gassy olmost covered in white crystals the blue cookies seems so tough to dry i bet it just takes longer to dry compared to the others. Its alot denser. I can still feel a slight bit of moisture in the buds hanging now so i might just try letting them go for awhile since its cool all week. Better to be dry and smell like dank and what not. Then to be wet and smell like hay lol.. ill be growing these for awhile with gg4 headband and platnum yeti ill figure this out lol.. those bovedas though... good stuff.

I got 6 hanging right now. I screwed up my last blue cookies couple months ago jarring too early while my ak47 came out awesome. The blue cookies was denser sticky fragrant bud as well as the ak47. But the ak47 bud structure was a bit more able to dry quicker it seemed then the tougher blue cookies. With these 6 i was planning on hang whole plant for 3 weeks.. with 80 degree temps last week and air conditioning running in my drying room i was able to keep it doen to 60 70ish degrees in their. Had my dehumidifer running at around 50 1st 2 days or 3 then upto 65 now currently staying around 65ish buds feel dry but i know the denser stuff is still wet. Weathers gonna be mid 60s to 70 all week 1 day of showers so ill keep ac off and keep dehumidi at 65. I try to keep it newhere from 60-70 while drying and humidity down 1st few days . Im hoping to continue drying for im hoping least 3 or 4 more days but there looking ready soon. 1 thing i notice is irregardless of what ive tried in hang drying even if they look dry dry they never are to the point when i do jar them my humidity can go upto 80.. so i might just wait the 3 weeks. And make sure their hella dry b4 i start jarring. Only bud i see that gets to 65 rh quickly is the small buds. Those boveda 62s help alot but i notice if the bud is to wet it makes it more difficult on the bovedas to operate rh correctly by a few points. This buds so lovely and sweet all 3 strains look and smell amazing. Hate to mess this 1 up..lol the ak47 comes out super sticky sweet dank irregardless and i suspect this 9 pound hammer is gonna come out gassy olmost covered in white crystals the blue cookies seems so tough to dry i bet it just takes longer to dry compared to the others. Its alot denser. I can still feel a slight bit of moisture in the buds hanging now so i might just try letting them go for awhile since its cool all week. Better to be dry and smell like dank and what not. Then to be wet and smell like hay lol.. ill be growing these for awhile with gg4 headband and platnum yeti ill figure this out lol.. those bovedas though... good stuff.
Corinth, you have done well, congrats! This drying is daunting some days. When you think about it, if the rh in the room is at the perfect amount, they can hang for a very long time and there's no penalty. The bud rh never goes below the room rh. So if it takes weeks so be it, yes? When the room is right the only mistake we can make it jarring too soon in my opinion. The cure should happen in the jar or out as it's a chemical process needing fresh air(burping) anyway.

Thx brother. Yea its very daunting. But were gonna get there for sure. Ya ima let em hang as long as possible. Ive yet to see cannabis dry to the point its around 60 rh going in unless its larfy. Ty again for the encouragement .

I do notice that too if the rh in the room is high itll dry alot slower. Hoping i can let it hang this week. Id normally start trimming today but i just know there still moist inside . So yea hopefully well be hanging all week. Not in a big rush to smoke this yet so i can really get a good taste when its ready. That ak47 is really sweet and nice tasting.

Just squeezed the tips. Its dry to the touch but u can still feel moisture in them. Im sure 4 or 5 days should get them to 60s rh heh

Attachments

• 15910258687858319603617836010183.jpg
    15910258687858319603617836010183.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 15910259103973067777355281835371.jpg
    15910259103973067777355281835371.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom