Defoliation during flowering for greater yields!

So on Saturday evening I defoliated 5 of my girls, with the idea that I would do a side by side comparison. When I checked on the girls on Sunday evening, I couldn't resist doing the other 5. The first 5 were all happy, and perky. This morning I'm a little surprised that the girls appear that that will probably want to be fed tonight, I expected that they would be a little shocked, and slow down? heres some before, and after pics, sorry for the quality.
20150331_193752.jpg
20150405_104538.jpg

As you can see, I removed the vast majority of the fans, left some at the top that were still pretty tight to the colas.
20150331_193647.jpg

Hey buddy, I don't have journal, I'm afraid I would not be able to give it the time that I deserves.

Hortus, nice job. I' running 10 plants in a 8' x 9' space, and am thinking of changing to a scrog next cycle. What is the footprint of your plants (are they in g gallon pots), and what are you using for a light over them ?

AK, Dutty, and c526, thanks for the education.

Cheers df57 you've got some really nice plants mate. And a massive space to grow them in I'd love to have that much room to play with.

I'd recommend a scrog setup to anyone willing to put in some time setting it up well worth the agro. My screen covers just under 9sqft this is the first grow where I've actually used it to its full potential really looking forward to seeing how this works out compared to my last grow in this space.

This time round I'm using 11ltr (3 gallons) lattice pots, light wise I'm running a 600w hps in a air-cooled hood.

Gday fellow growers great thread it's inspired me to defol and scrog my current grow I'd like to say a special thanks to AK greenlover his tips/techniques is mind blowing stuff!

Here's what my girls looked like before and after defoliation/scrog 2 days ago

DSC_017417.JPG
DSC_018113.JPG
DSC_018219.JPG
DSC_018321.JPG

I'll post a update in a couple of days to show how there doing.

Thanks again guys and girls

:Namaste:

Looking great brother!!! One thing I would recommend is you sweep and reap everything under the screen. If you don't you'll have wasted energy to bud sights that are getting bad light. You also run the risk of hermie branches once that screen clogs and the under branches are shaded in mostly darkness for extended periods of time. I've had that happen to me one time when I didn't trim under the screen. Now I make it a habit each grow.

Seriously though you are going to have a max yield in your space with how you are doing things. :thumb:

Alright - I'm doing an update of a week after my defol, because I said I would.... I'll do another down the road a bit.
So, unlike what most people are reporting- my plant didn't bounce right back. After the defol the plant sort of rearranged itself to be less of a mess and perked up, but didn't start growing much until almost a week after. Now it's starting to take off again and I'll put some pictures up in maybe another week or couple weeks and compare it to the other one which was mostly left alone. I'm not sure why it had a setback, if the other folk's plants haven't. Possibly because it didn't get any defol in the two months or more that it was vegging so wasn't 'used to it'. I cant think of anything much I did wrong- not that I have a clue what I'm doing. Maybe I should have left more fans. It seems healthy and happy, but fallen behind the unmolested plant a bit, so far anyway. ..
Oh yeah, there is a bit more sugar leaf than the other plant.
Pre defol-
image22050.jpg

Post defol-
image22051.jpg

A week later-
image22869.jpg

Weaselcracker are you using a sugar boost like unsulpherized molasses? Also do you have any kind of micro enzymes in your soil? Don't give up hope yet brother. They will explode very soon as your screen should be clogged by the end of week two after the reap. I would highly recommend you start adding that molasses to each feed and watering. When you add to feed use 1/2 table spoon per gallon. When you are using straight water use 1 table spoon per gallon. I promise it will greatly help your plant.

Unsulpherized molasses is like liquid gold for your girls. It has a nice dose of potassium, calcium, magnesium and iron which is a great side effect. The sugar carbs will do wonders for any micro enzymes in your soil around your root system as well as give your girls a sugar rush which helps fatten them up. I simply can't say enough good things about this molasses. I started using this stuff a few years back and never looked back. I HIGHLY recommend peeps give this a try even if you do not defoliate in your grow as it will also help with yield and quality as well as enhance flavor.

Thanks for the reply and all your work on this subject AK. Enzymes- i think no. It's Promix so maybe you wouldn't even call that soil in the true sense. Botanicare pureblend for the moment. And plenty of bennies, but no product that specifically says much about enzymes. I have to confess I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. Will read up though. I do add molasses (didn't this time) but I admit I've just been throwing it in now and then towards the tail end of flowering but not keeping to a strict schedule. But I'm going to get more serious and add it to the weekly feedings. I'm not the least worried about the plant and I can tell from everything you are saying that defoliation does work. I just grow a perpetual for personal use and I like to experiment. Growing for quite a few years now but feel like I'm just starting out in lots of ways. Amazing how much I've learned in the last few months of being on this forum though. I lurked on the forum in the past but it was never the same as being a member and reading every day.
It doesn't faze me at all if things don't go perfectly.

I believe promix has built in enzymes in the mix. If not you can pick some up at your local grow store and add them yourself. At the very least you can get a little bit of fox farms micro brew and add that every other week.

Looking at your girl a week later she doesn't look that unusual to me. Maybe a slight bit lagging behind but looks are very deceiving once those sugar leaves swell a bit more. Growth starts to explode like mad. Defoliation is about the end result so don't get to discouraged in the beginning. The first time I did it I got upset for about 3 weeks. I knew I had messed up and followed some dumb advise. Come harvest time though it was a completely different story.

Thanks again bro. No local stores where I live but I'll read up a bit and order something. Like I said, I'm not worried at all. Will update further down the road.

i just got some molasses like stuff from foxfarm. cant remember the name of it. but, it has a few items in it. should i use it starting when? a few weeks from harvest? after i fllush the heck out of em? i have been injuring the ice plants i have in veg. they are very even now! they could go in now, but, i have no room. so, they will be extra large, when they go into flower. just hope they are danker, than their seed parents. seed plants seem to me, to be not so good. or is it my imagination? ill take some pics of the ice plants, and post em.

Been using this technique 20 years ..outdoor & in!
I believe it does improve lower buds if ur not sea of green,Scrog or any grow where U have an even canopy.Works best on Christmas trees Cuz the lower buds ain't gettin any!
Naysayers should pick one equal size & strain , defoliate & see what U think

Looks outstanding Hortus! Your growth and style look really similar to what we do! :high-five:

:high-five: thanks AK its funny how similar they are, your tips and journal have been a great inspiration into how I grow I can't wait to have another go with my new strain incredible bulk by Dr krippling from what I've read it could get messy!

:Namaste:

It is very scary. fairly new to the defoliating process but seems to be working well. I go for the unhealthy looking blocker leafs first, then if I have to the hardy healthy blockers. Question being, I have seen many grow journals most all pics show great success, but does this slow the plant down? how long into flowering should you continue to do this? Those two questions are the ones that I am unable to find a solid answer on. too much controversy!

Wow! I went into this grow, my first indoor, thinking I would only cut off healthy fan leaves.

But just now I defoliated all my plants! Not as extreme as you guys in your pictures. Being a little scared I held back on the full nakedness.

But I get it! Just like topping, it redirects the plant's growth.

I am about Day 25 of flower. I was planning to flower for 70 days. Depending on how the plant responds, I can see in the 7th week doing a more aggressive trim.

Mandy, if you read the thread, you will see the main times recommended are just before flowering, about three weeks in, and about six weeks in. All other questions, read the thread!

Generally, I remove some fan leaves during the flower phase. However, even when I don't the plants will shed the fan leaves as the get towards end of the phase. A natural process.

Everytime i see a plant defoiled, i feel like the plant is screaming rape!

Back
Top Bottom