Defoliation

BTW, can anyone point me to a study that concludes that buds need more light than the large fan leaves that may shade them.

pretty sure that's not the point. at least that's not why i'm trying it.

To be fair though, not everything is about finding scientific articles that back preconceived comfortabilities, and styles that “someone” abides by. For example, some of the best growers in the world (objective) based on measures like world cannabis titles, revenue, global footprint, breeding credibility, etc. do a lot of stuff that people on this (and other sites disagree with). And that’s fine, but maybe... just maybe they know what they’re talking about and doing. That’s only to say any beliefs with cannabis shouldn’t be too rigid and people should always be open to perhaps my way isn’t the only way.

I appreciate your perspective, but I’m really curious. I hear this concern all the time, and was just wondering if there was anything behind it.
:ganjamon:

BTW, can anyone point me to a study that concludes that buds need more light than the large fan leaves that may shade them.

i have had buds below the canopy that were lime green-yellowish that turned green after i defoliated and light reached the flower. thats enough for me. no light= no chlorryphll=no growth

Haven't read the comments. But at that late stage I wouldn't remove more than %10. But usually of done correctly at the right stage for your strain, you shouldn't need to do very much past week 3. So long as it's fine pre flower then into transition and then just as the budget sites form and never more than 30% at a time from the first one and reduced %wise the next 2. Good luck. Here's mine at 6 weeks untouched since week 3.

I get that. I’m really not on a soapbox.
even if you were, it's totally cool

:passitleft:

i gotta say. i never expected to try the grow i am in. my last grow was completely different, fewer plants, zero defol. i read a few journals, and decided to try this.

Haven't read the comments. But at that late stage I wouldn't remove more than %10. But usually of done correctly at the right stage for your strain, you shouldn't need to do very much past week 3. So long as it's fine pre flower then into transition and then just as the budget sites form and never more than 30% at a time from the first one and reduced %wise the next 2. Good luck. Here's mine at 6 weeks untouched since week 3.
IMG_20190521_212406.jpg

yes it takes experience to know what to trim off after stretch to minimize larfy stuff.
im learning, the plant i have going now has been my best yet. i still let a few of the bottom branches grow up on mistake. they are close enough to light they wont be complete larf, but its definitely an art know what to chop off after stretch.

people make it sound simple who have done years of grows, i am starting to understand more every plant i finish through to harvest

even if you were, it's totally cool

:passitleft:

i gotta say. i never expected to try the grow i am in. my last grow was completely different, fewer plants, zero defol. i read a few journals, and decided to try this.

i think i learned more about the plant on my third grow when i did not do any crazy mainline or lst topping stuff.
it was just a simple topping and semi quadline i think it is called. i needed to grow a normal plant to finally realize how much i was stressing the plant doing all the HST stuff. i figured i wanted to get all the noob stuff out of the way first so i wouldnt continue growing wondering what all these other techniques were.
from here on out only doing quadlining and/or scrogging

defol and a fakey sog are what i'm trying on this one. the plants themselves have been gold. i sorted out a bunch of issues last time, and the experience helped.

defoliation was for light penetration / canopy management.

I appreciate your perspective, but I’m really curious. I hear this concern all the time, and was just wondering if there was anything behind it.
Only study I’ve read along the lines of lighting impact on flowers vs. leaves is related to UV exposure and the reaction from the plant. In terms of basic impacts of defole... studying that would similar to studying any technique like topping, FIMming, LST, quadlining, etc.. Could be a worthwhile study, but most ppl just come to conclusions on their own to whether it suits their growing styles/ goals in a positive way. And back to the light study, I’m not providing it only because it led me to buy and build a light that so far I feel only damages my plants, so I want to spare everyone else the (growca perceived) scientific bullshit.

And back to the light study, I’m not providing it only because it led me to buy and build a light that so far I feel only damages my plants, so I want to spare everyone else the (growca perceived) scientific bullshit.

I think I must have missed something. But it sounds interesting..
:nomo:

I know what you mean. I find that water can build up on the leaves if you let em get too bushy and the next thing you know you've got bud rot or mold.
Do you have a fan running under the canopy. That's where the stomata are and where it's need.
To be fair though, not everything is about finding scientific articles that back preconceived comfortabilities, and styles that “someone” abides by. For example, some of the best growers in the world (objective) based on measures like world cannabis titles, revenue, global footprint, breeding credibility, etc. do a lot of stuff that people on this (and other sites disagree with). And that’s fine, but maybe... just maybe they know what they’re talking about and doing. That’s only to say any beliefs with cannabis shouldn’t be too rigid and people should always be open to perhaps my way isn’t the only way.
I know what you are saying but please don't lump science as a belief. Science is repeatable by anyone with the knowledge and equipment and is falsifiable.

Do you have a fan running under the canopy. That's where the stomata are and where it's need.

I know what you are saying but please don't lump science as a belief. Science is repeatable by anyone with the knowledge and equipment and is falsifiable.
It’s safe to say you missed my point entirely, but no need to discuss further. GL with your grow.

yes it takes experience to know what to trim off after stretch to minimize larfy stuff.
im learning, the plant i have going now has been my best yet. i still let a few of the bottom branches grow up on mistake. they are close enough to light they wont be complete larf, but its definitely an art know what to chop off after stretch.

people make it sound simple who have done years of grows, i am starting to understand more every plant i finish through to harvest
Never a truer word spoken my friend. I will say that common sense should prevail over the science mumbo jumbo. So I'll make this clear. Cannabis over vegges. Why? Cause it supposed to grow in the actual wild (no not your backyard), where low and behold there are extremely harsh conditions like bugs which eat the plant alive, typhoons, extreme heat, fire, flood, stampedes of animals, birds using it to make its nests and all manner of crawling slithering things. All prey and most plants life will either over veg /overbreed. This is to make sure its survives to reproduce. In your grow space YOU ARE GOD. Therefore you must try to reproduce such disasters. Removing leaves is a very quick and easy way to do so. It can give the plant some good stress, allow light to penetrate into the canopy so increase bud sites and size under the canopy, futhermore it reduces the chance of mould and bolting down below
Did you know that most fruit-bearing plants prefer stress? The best wine in the world comes from stressed grapes, Cause they are bigger fatter and juicier. Same goes for most fruit. Ever noticed the apple that's bruised and battered tastes the best? But forget all that. I always get bigger fatter taster buds whenever i defoliate properly. Theres no comparison at all. Ive done it so many times now that i dont need to read about it. My eyes, taste buds and scales dont lie. Its not even a choice anymore. Always defoliate...always

Never a truer word spoken my friend. I will say that common sense should prevail over the science mumbo jumbo. So I'll make this clear. Cannabis over vegges. Why? Cause it supposed to grow in the actual wild (no not your backyard), where low and behold there are extremely harsh conditions like bugs which eat the plant alive, typhoons, extreme heat, fire, flood, stampedes of animals, birds using it to make its nests and all manner of crawling slithering things. All prey and most plants life will either over veg /overbreed. This is to make sure its survives to reproduce. In your grow space YOU ARE GOD. Therefore you must try to reproduce such disasters. Removing leaves is a very quick and easy way to do so. It can give the plant some good stress, allow light to penetrate into the canopy so increase bud sites and size under the canopy, futhermore it reduces the chance of mould and bolting down below
Did you know that most fruit-bearing plants prefer stress? The best wine in the world comes from stressed grapes, Cause they are bigger fatter and juicier. Same goes for most fruit. Ever noticed the apple that's bruised and battered tastes the best? But forget all that. I always get bigger fatter taster buds whenever i defoliate properly. Theres no comparison at all. Ive done it so many times now that i dont need to read about it. My eyes, taste buds and scales dont lie. Its not even a choice anymore. Always defoliate...always

i never thought of it like that but now that i do it makes sense.
and one thing i have notcied since growing is its not that complicated, we just overthink it because marijuana is so valuable for people like us.
cannabis would never have a stress free life in the wild, its built for stress, much like a human.

who is stronger? the human raised in a laboratory eating supplements, lifting weights, sleeping right and using a treadmill his/her entire life?
or the one busting his ass working, surviving, being hurt and breaking bones in the wild?
strength-wise maybe the laboratory one, but toughness wise its probably the one in the wild. which do you prefer? both probabaly have their own characteristics.
i think this is close to the differences from indoor and outdoor plants.
we want the strength, but no exposure to stress gives us little bitches.
so we defoliate to induce some stress, giving us the best of both worlds

Back
Top Bottom