Dimmable ballast

SirGrowAlot

When using a 600Watt HID lamp that has a dimmable ballast, when you dim it down to m/b 300 then will it not draw out as much electricity? Or will it draw out same amount of electricity no matter what the setting is on?

Thanks Guys

Speaking of dimmable.., If you use the dimming feature will it change the spectrum of the bulb? Will dimming a 1000w 2000k bulb to 75% change the spectral output any? I know that the bulbs are designed to run at a specfic wattage, just always wondered.

Great question Batcave...I've always wondered the same myself...From some looking around I couldn't find any solid proof one way or the other..... the majority of people opinions around the web was that it doesn't change, but again, that was with no solid proof or test results...

One interesting fact I found out about lumatek dial a watt ballasts though is this...(HPS only!!!)

You can use a 400w bulb in a 600w lumatek dial a watt ballast if the ballast is set at 400w or 360w setting.

...but more interesting is that a 400w bulb in that same 600w ballast, set to 400w, is more efficient and pushes more light than a 600w bulb, dimmed down to 400w...

Never put a lower wattage bulb on a higher setting than it is rated.

Murphy's law says "If anything can possibly go wrong it will"

I say stick with a 1k bulb in 1k dimmable ballast and so one. NO harm, no foul to worry or forget about. Known fact: 600w is the most efficient wattage per watt, when talking HID. I would consider running to dimmable 600w rather than a single 1k if I want more light.

Speaking of dimmable.., If you use the dimming feature will it change the spectrum of the bulb? Will dimming a 1000w 2000k bulb to 75% change the spectral output any? I know that the bulbs are designed to run at a specfic wattage, just always wondered.

Good question! Dimming the bulbs will not change the spectrum from our lab test (It depends on the spec of the bulb you are using obviously, all lab test is under a control environment). For the one we had tested for our 1000W ballast
Hortilux(LU1000 B/ HTL /EN) HPS & Hortilux(LU1000 MH / HTL /EN ) HPS/MH

Even at the lowest dimming setting the spectrum did not change.

Great question Batcave...I've always wondered the same myself...From some looking around I couldn't find any solid proof one way or the other..... the majority of people opinions around the web was that it doesn't change, but again, that was with no solid proof or test results...

One interesting fact I found out about lumatek dial a watt ballasts though is this...(HPS only!!!)

You can use a 400w bulb in a 600w lumatek dial a watt ballast if the ballast is set at 400w or 360w setting.

...but more interesting is that a 400w bulb in that same 600w ballast, set to 400w, is more efficient and pushes more light than a 600w bulb, dimmed down to 400w...

Never put a lower wattage bulb on a higher setting than it is rated.

Our ballast does this as well (MH&HPS), we already have members using a 400W MH bulb on a 600W ballast
My JD Lightings 600w Ballast Grow Journal & Review #2

But is not recommended for long term usage, if you don't care for the life of the bulb than okay fine use it, in the mean time when your watt to watt bulb is being ship to you, but don't try the entire 8-10 weeks with it.

Murphy's law says "If anything can possibly go wrong it will"

I say stick with a 1k bulb in 1k dimmable ballast and so one. NO harm, no foul to worry or forget about. Known fact: 600w is the most efficient wattage per watt, when talking HID. I would consider running to dimmable 600w rather than a single 1k if I want more light.

:thumb:

Thanks DigitalGrow. and that is cool that your ballast will allow other wattage bulbs at least temporarily. When I upgraded from my 400w to a 600w I was so excited to fire it up I forgot to change out the 400w bulb to the 600w bulb and ran it a whole week without knowing.

Good question! Dimming the bulbs will not change the spectrum from our lab test (It depends on the spec of the bulb you are using obviously, all lab test is under a control environment). For the one we had tested for our 1000W ballast
Hortilux(LU1000 B/ HTL /EN) HPS & Hortilux(LU1000 MH / HTL /EN ) HPS/MH

Even at the lowest dimming setting the spectrum did not change.

Interesting. I would have expected a (rather slight) blue shift. Your ballasts must really be high quality units. Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom