DIY flood and drain table 3ft x 3ft

newbiegrwer

20160513_182837.jpg
20160513_182841.jpg
20160513_182849.jpg
20160513_182908.jpg
20160513_182954.jpg
I built a 3ft x 3ft flood and drain table with some simple supplies from lowes plus some flood and drain fittings. I used 1 x 4 for the frame with 1 x 2 for the supports in the bottom. For legs I used porch rail banister cut in half. Then (2) 3ft x 1-1/2 ft storage containers with flood and drain fittings installed. A 14 gallon Rubbermaid for the reservoir and a pond pump for the supply. I intend to add an aerator also. I used hardware cloth that I bent to fit snuggly into the containers to hold down the clay pebbles to keep them from floating up. That helps me keep water in the res. This particular system takes 3 minutes to start overflowing and about 5 to drain.

Does anyone have any questions or suggestions? Any and all are welcome. I was hoping to have discussions with this one to either help someone else or myself (being that I am fairly fresh to all of this, 1 successful dwc grow, 1 started grow to be moved outdoors, and next grow to be in this bad boy.)

I recently set up a flood table as well. I feel like I want to include a second water pump running 24/7 to keep the water circulating/ mixing within the reservoir, in addition to my air stones but am not sure it is necessary.

I recently set up a flood table as well. I feel like I want to include a second water pump running 24/7 to keep the water circulating/ mixing within the reservoir, in addition to my air stones but am not sure it is necessary.
Thanks for giving me a little attention. I like the idea of circulating the res to prevent algae growth. I'm assuming that was your concern as well. Makes sense, moving water is better than stagnant. But I'm also not sure it's completely necessary. I just completed a dwc with just an air stone and never experienced algae growth. Better safe than sorry though right?

Actually it was more for mixing faster when I add in my nutrients and adjust pH, I wanted to mix things a lot faster without using a stick or stir bar.

I could also use that second pump to help drain the reservoir easier. They're cheap, I guess I don't have to run it 24/7, but just have it available

I hate to bump my own thread but I would like to update it. My hydroton layer was just seemed too shallow and I didn't feel like spending another 40 bucks on another bag of hydroton so I picked up a few bags of lava rock at Lowes and mixed them in with my hydroton after washing it of course. Not only did it double my bed thickness for only 12 bucks but it also helped keep the hydroton from floating. No more hardware cloth needed which saves 15 dollars for anyone who wants to do something similar.

I have been thinking of going from a dwc to ebb & flow to better control algae growth. I have been using an airstone only for my dwc set up. Any suggestions on how to STOP algae growth will be greatly appreciated.

I have been thinking of going from a dwc to ebb & flow to better control algae growth. I have been using an airstone only for my dwc set up. Any suggestions on how to STOP algae growth will be greatly appreciated.
You must have light getting into your reservoir. What are you using for your dwc container?

Duh! I have a system that holds six plants, all cells are NOT being used, I just closed off the unused cells to block out entering light. Thank you for the feedback. Its really good to have a forum to bounce ideas and trade info. I'm still gonna build an ebb & flow system. DWC is very new and experimental for me. Again thank you for your quick ffollow up. PEACE

Update. I added in some lava rocks to add depth to the growing medium which helps hold down the clay pebbles and eliminates the need for the hardware cloth to hold it all day. And also this setup has been working wonders for me. I have some 30" tall plants that are about 5 weeks old and starting to show preflowers.

looks to be a decent diy setup bud.

proof is in the growth eh.

looks nice

Back
Top Bottom