DIY veg CFL reflector

First of all, that thing is badass. I want one.
Second, some questions for Pres or Rafedial1:

1. Where did you purchase your lights?

2. I priced some lights online that were 23W and 27W. Is the 26W significant in some way or can it just be close?

3. How much should I spend per bulb?

4. Do you suggest any brands?

Wow. What an awesome job you and your girl did!!! Very amazing. Very impressive. This site is so motivating! I actually made my first light setup today! I bought the socket with 2 wires, and spliced it to an extension cord because the hardware store didn't have any lamp pigtails. Added a Y socket, and viola! Have it in my closet grow now. So easy. Great job!!

Hey Nice job, I'm gonna build one myself!
My HPS ballast went the other day so I've been scrambling to get some light to my girls. I'm re-building the HPS but have been thinking of CFL or LED. They make some wild LED lights, a bit expensive but the pros go on and on. I am concerned about my elect bill so I'm keeping an open mind. I'm old school so this site is like going back to school for me. Innovation my man innovation!
Keep up the good work and sharing your work.
Peace, love and all that shit.
OHB

First of all, that thing is badass. I want one.
Second, some questions for Pres or Rafedial1:

1. Where did you purchase your lights?

2. I priced some lights online that were 23W and 27W. Is the 26W significant in some way or can it just be close?

3. How much should I spend per bulb?

4. Do you suggest any brands?

Hey Dude,
I get some good deals @ 1000Bulbs.com

you guys sure know how to make someone feel :welcome: . just got back here and I'm kinda overwhelmed by the response. :thanks: everyone.

the reflector in the original post is still running strong at 24/0. it has proved itself in my garden for 3 veg cycles now, unmodified.

I'm glad others are out there experimenting. maybe a few people will even make 2nd and 3rd generations of this reflector.

The soul and mind grow parallel with the plant.

I thought I would add a disclaimer. The exposed ring terminals leave the live circuits open to shorting. Please....your dealing with 120v and enough amps to kill you.

1. never have the reflector plugged in while your hands or tools are near it.
2. my setup is not grounded. if your DIYing any CFL setup, grounds are highly rec.
3. Always wire grow lights into a GFCI rated outlet, so if something like a bubble cloner res flood happens, it cuts power. These are the ones like in your bathroom at home(for ladies hair dryers and such). I believe it's easy to replace any regular outlet with a GFCI. THIS ELIMINATES ALL POSSIBILITY OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK!
4. The reason my CFL reflector looks so symmetrical, is because it IS. Simple, and very unlikely to fail. it was purpose built and does create heat.
5. DO NOT try to stuff this thing into a closet without proper ventilation.
6. The black 2-wire lamp cord is was meticulously curved in the several connections between lamps, keeps circuits aay from eachother. if one gets out of place from a loose connection, I can identify it right away.
7. Stagger the lamp sockets on each side and do not use longer than 2" screws, should use 1 3/4" to prevent going through the 2X4 beam and into a socket/electrical terminal on the other side.
8. I recommend if you build this reflector to contain the wires and minimize the electrical connection points. maybe get it down to 1 main power source, with a common point and the ability to seal/black tape/solder/etc it, maybe sealed in a small electrical box. this way all e-connections are internal.
9. I have used this reflector untouched from the original pics for 3 veg cycles(5 months) without a single worry. but that is because I am Careful! I have messed with alot of AC and DC projects over the years and I consider my work as safe, as do other who trust me with their projects. SO! electrical newbs, have someone you know help you with AC power projects until you are comfortable.

my Kali Dream got me rambling :slide:

Re: DIY veg CFL reflector permalink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I would add a disclaimer. The exposed ring terminals leave the live circuits open to shorting. Please....your dealing with 120v and enough amps to kill you.

2. my setup is not grounded. if your DIYing any CFL setup, grounds are highly rec.
3. Always wire grow lights into a GFCI rated outlet, so if something like a bubble cloner res flood happens, it cuts power. These are the ones like in your bathroom at home(for ladies hair dryers and such). I believe it's easy to replace any regular outlet with a GFCI. THIS ELIMINATES ALL POSSIBILITY OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK!
4. The reason my CFL reflector looks so symmetrical, is because it IS. Simple, and very unlikely to fail. it was purpose built and does create heat.
6. The black 2-wire lamp cord is was meticulously curved in the several connections between lamps, keeps circuits aay from eachother. if one gets out of place from a loose connection, I can identify it right away.
7. Stagger the lamp sockets on each side and do not use longer than 2" screws, should use 1 3/4" to prevent going through the 2X4 beam and into a socket/electrical terminal on the other side.
8. I recommend if you build this reflector to contain the wires and minimize the electrical connection points. maybe get it down to 1 main power source, with a common point and the ability to seal/black tape/solder/etc it, maybe sealed in a small electrical box. this way all e-connections are internal.
9. I have used this reflector untouched from the original pics for 3 veg cycles(5 months) without a single worry. but that is because I am Careful! I have messed with alot of AC and DC projects over the years and I consider my work as safe, as do other who trust me with their projects. SO! electrical newbs, have someone you know help you with AC power projects until you are comfortable.

my Kali Dream got me rambling
Hey, very cool thread. but i just wanted to add something, you can use hot melt glue to insulate the electrical connections. i just heat the sticks with a lighter to get them hotter than a glue gun makes them and drip/smear it on.
Works great.

awesome post man im going to make 2 of these with 23w 2700k for veg and 10 23w 6500k side lights and reverse it for flowering was the wireing hard to do and did you buy the refelctor tin just like that or did you have to cut it?

Perhaps cover the connections with liquid electrical tape?

1663484746192.png

This project has gotten me thinking about creating a 40" wide canopy to entirly cover the width of my grow space. . .

Probably should have seen this earlier, and calculated how incredibly cheap those CFLs actually are with all the rebates that can be had.

Good job, plus rep.

my Kali Dream got me rambling :slide:

First, this creation wouldn't be possible without member Pres and his diy cfl thread. Also I have to thank my girl for helping with the design. Thank you!

I've been looking for a good veg light for my setup and didn't want to buy one. I have heard so many good things from 420 members about CFLs I went ahead and tried it.

here we go.....
My 10 bulb CFL Hood

Dimensions:
16.25" Width X 23.5" Long X 6.0" Tall at it's peak, weight 7lbs.
Materials:
(1) 16.25" Plywood circle UNTREATED wood
(4) 2" Screws
(1) 22.75" 2x4 piece of UNTREATED wood
(1) 8X24 Vent(sheet steel)
(10) Lamp sockets
(10) 26w CFLs (any K value)
(1) box of small brads/headed nails
(10ft) of 14/2 lamp cord
(20) blue ring terminals

Wiring is just 14/2 lamp cord daisy chained together with blue ring terminal connectors, setup is grounded.

Had lots of the materials around my house, so my total cost @$71.20 for 260 true watts. This thing GROWS!

Without further delay, PICS!
DSC03613_cropped.JPG

DSC03616_cropped.JPG

DSC03617_cropped.JPG

DSC03620_cropped.JPG

DSC03621_cropped.JPG

DSC03623_cropped.JPG

DSC03624_cropped.JPG

DSC03625_cropped.JPG

were you able to find the ring terminals already connected to the wire or did you do that yourself?

Many home-built reflectors can be improved if a bend/curve can be placed directly over the bulb so that light which exits the bulb traveling upwards does not get reflected directly back into the bulb. Such a bend is often referred to as a restrike bend (I guess technically it would be an anti-restrike bend?).

I am guessing you will need to make one with a Jig Saw. Mark out your 16.25" diameter and cut it out.. I am actually mulling over building this reflector as well. However im thinking about making a 20 light, 4ft long one..

Back
Top Bottom