Do I need the filter?

Doctor Trevor

I thought I asked this before, but I could find it....

Do I really need the filter and pre-filter? I'm on the third floor of the building I live in. My exhaust duct is about thirty feet off the ground on a street that has a good breeze 99% of the time (at an intersection). I don't see smell being a problem, especially when New York will legalize recreational growing this summer.

I'd like to remove the filter is lessen the fan's workload. Does this even make sense?

No you don't need it, if you are unconcerned about the smell. The filter is to reduce/remove smell and the pre-filter is just to prevent the filter from becoming prematurely clogged.

I feel like even if one of your neighbors gets a momentary whiff, they won't clearly be able to identify where it came from that high up.

You can get by without a filter. Thing is, though, that it sounds like you are living in an apartment building. Even if recreational growing will be legal this summer I would not be surprised if the owner of the building is the one who decides if renters can grow in their unit. The last thing you want is one of the others in the building complaining about the smell every time your front door is opened or that it lingers in the hallway or stairway.

Experiment and run the system without the filter and see how fast the smell becomes noticeable. Go somewhere for several hours and then come back and check whether any smell is noticeable since by then you should not be 'nose-blind'. If you notice any smell as soon as the door is opened then anyone who is against recreational use/growing will really notice it, often even if they live on a different floor.

Thank you, everyone for your answers.

My closest neighbor knows I grow it. He and his wife can't use it due to their jobs. I'm not worried about my building's board as i have a NYS medical marijuana card. The law protects me in this matter.

I'm waiting for new seeds to arrive for my next grow. The smell won't be a concern for a few months. And, if the fan, sucks everything outside (I grow in a tent), the smell doesn't reach my door.

Thieves? It's possible. But, as I said, I'm thirty feet up. I think people would get suspicious of the ladder. And, then, there's my dogs.

Thieves? It's possible. But, as I said, I'm thirty feet up. I think people would get suspicious of the ladder. And, then, there's my dogs.
As long as you don't have people walking by and smelling it at your door, I'd say you are good. Thieves usually steer clear of dogs because they are a good judge of character. I have an 90lb Scottish boarder collie that decides who gets across the property line.

Back
Top Bottom