Do these buds look ready to harvest?

gI'm a first timer here and am coming up on my first harvest. I've been experimenting taking a few buds here and there to learn to dry and cure. The big surprise is it smells like OMG Dope when I cut it down and like cut grass when it is drying! How do I make sure to keep the deep rich smells? At what point does the grass fade and the MJ smell and taste begin to take?

Dang, every part of this process is filled with nuance and opinion!

Hey @NuttyProfessor - you gave me some useful advice on this thread last week. I've taken another digital microscope photo of my trichomes. I'm struggling to tell if they're cloudy or not - maybe because the image isn't as clear as those crystal clear sharp images in your example. I wonder if you'd mind casting your eye over these and seeing if you think these are cloudy enough for harvest or still need more time? Thanks!

WIN_20201202_09_04_35_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_03_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_00_22_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_01_48_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_01_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_00_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_00_42_Pro.jpg
Nice looking grow. I want you to notice the stalk that the little trics sit on top of. If you back to your other pics, trics on your plate leaves, look at the difference. Notice how the clear trics have a tiny center point where that stalk connects on the new pics, and the older ones on the plate leaves are more solid? When the clears you have in these pics, look like the ones on the older leaves you'll be closer to that head high. I dont see any amber, and if there is its likely from a red pistol hair stuck to the sticky trichromes. Weeks at least 2 before milky takes over. You will see those plate leaves get Amber's before then but dont jump the gun to quick. Good growing.

Hey @NuttyProfessor - you gave me some useful advice on this thread last week. I've taken another digital microscope photo of my trichomes. I'm struggling to tell if they're cloudy or not - maybe because the image isn't as clear as those crystal clear sharp images in your example. I wonder if you'd mind casting your eye over these and seeing if you think these are cloudy enough for harvest or still need more time? Thanks!

WIN_20201202_09_04_35_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_03_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_00_22_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_01_48_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_01_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_00_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201202_09_00_42_Pro.jpg
Looks just like mine - FROSTY! :yahoo: I do like these pics too, great way to show off and get the right answers.

gI'm a first timer here and am coming up on my first harvest. I've been experimenting taking a few buds here and there to learn to dry and cure. The big surprise is it smells like OMG Dope when I cut it down and like cut grass when it is drying! How do I make sure to keep the deep rich smells? At what point does the grass fade and the MJ smell and taste begin to take?

Dang, every part of this process is filled with nuance and opinion!
When u harvest , you are half way.
Drying and curing properly is as important as any thing u do during that grow.
After about 4 weeks in an air tight jar ( burped every day ) , w/ 60 /62% RH , the bouquet will definitely get skunky. From hay to skunk.
Just make sure during drying , you don’t let the buds humidity get below 56%.
Don’t let all those weeks of tender loving care turn into crispy critters.
Ideally , dry till around 65% and place in the jars 3/4 full.
Finish dry and cure in the jar. I use 62% Bovida packs for a few weeks and then remove them from jars. Some people don’t like to keep the packs for very long.
Get some very good hygrometers to monitor RH in your buds.
Also , if you have a spare frig look into the Low Slow Drying Method.
:passitleft:

When u harvest , you are half way.
Drying and curing properly is as important as any thing u do during that grow.
After about 4 weeks in an air tight jar ( burped every day ) , w/ 60 /62% RH , the bouquet will definitely get skunky. From hay to skunk.
Just make sure during drying , you don’t let the buds humidity get below 56%.
Don’t let all those weeks of tender loving care turn into crispy critters.
Ideally , dry till around 65% and place in the jars 3/4 full.
Finish dry and cure in the jar. I use 62% Bovida packs for a few weeks and then remove them from jars. Some people don’t like to keep the packs for very long.
Get some very good hygrometers to monitor RH in your buds.
Also , if you have a spare frig look into the Low Slow Drying Method.
:passitleft:
That is the way ya do it folks:thumb:

What he said about the humidity after you get it in the jars. It helps along some chemical processes that really bring out those awesome smells and flavors. One thing, do follow that burping regimen or you'll be sorry when you find mold 3 weeks into it. That first week or two its still damp inside, that moisture will migrate into the air inside the jar when its closed. But it will only hold some much moisture before you have to open it and let it escape and be replaced with the outside dryer air.
I'd give you the example of green tomatoes or bananas, you can see how they need to ripen right? Not the same exact process but a better visualization.

What he said about the humidity after you get it in the jars. It helps along some chemical processes that really bring out those awesome smells and flavors. One thing, do follow that burping regimen or you'll be sorry when you find mold 3 weeks into it. That first week or two its still damp inside, that moisture will migrate into the air inside the jar when its closed. But it will only hold some much moisture before you have to open it and let it escape and be replaced with the outside dryer air.
I'd give you the example of green tomatoes or bananas, you can see how they need to ripen right? Not the same exact process but a better visualization.

Maybe this is common sense.

Drying indoor bud vs. outdoor bud seems to be like comparing bananas vs. tomatoes.

The banana and tomatoes example hits close to home to me. I use to place tomatoes and banannas together in paper bags to try to perfectly ripen my state fair tomatoes or get the tomatoes to turn color.

I’m down for bud soaking.... not bud washing. Don’t care for the baking soda & lemon juice crap gimme plain lukewarm water. Now if subject plant had heavy critters then yup baking soda & lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide would be added to my first bucket. In my version each branch stays under water for about 5 minutes then moves on to next bucket. Agree once you see the crud in first bucket, well that’s a game changer, not gonna use that as base for meds or smoke until the dust and debris are gone

Drying indoor bud vs. outdoor bud seems to be like comparing bananas vs. tomatoes.

The banana and tomatoes example hits close to home to me. I use to place tomatoes and banannas together in paper bags to try to perfectly ripen my state fair tomatoes or get the tomatoes to turn color.
The commercial outfits stack the green 'maters in a airtight building and pump ethylene into it (pretty sure that's the gas the ripening ones give off) over time idk overnight I think, otherwise it's like you said the suckers wont turn red and ripen. You can have a red tomato that's still unripe inside but you're already in that know I'm sure.

I’m down for bud soaking.... not bud washing. Don’t care for the baking soda & lemon juice crap gimme plain lukewarm water. Now if subject plant had heavy critters then yup baking soda & lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide would be added to my first bucket. In my version each branch stays under water for about 5 minutes then moves on to next bucket. Agree once you see the crud in first bucket, well that’s a game changer, not gonna use that as base for meds or smoke until the dust and debris are gone
Hey I wondered if plain water would be as effective ..thanks !

My best tomato’s ripen on the vine .
Picked , washed , sliced and right on fresh bread w/
vidalia onion and Mayo.
Salt and pepper and a cold glass of milk.
If I am going to fry green tomato , I like to sit them in a sunny widow sill for a day.
Just to throw that out there :cool:
8A812A37-5757-4249-AC60-035691C0171B.jpeg
A2550985-6E13-4AF7-8F10-3FBF632FC308.jpeg

That's nice, my wife didn't understand how we could just plant in the yard.
20200727_081540.jpg

She never expected this, its messy but I left it for her to have something to do outside during the "covid crisis" now theres 30 quart and 10 2quart jars of pickles and tomato sauce in the pantry lol I'm tempted to put some plants out there next year.

That's nice, my wife didn't understand how we could just plant in the yard.
20200727_081540.jpg

She never expected this, its messy but I left it for her to have something to do outside during the "covid crisis" now theres 30 quart and 10 2quart jars of pickles and tomato sauce in the pantry lol I'm tempted to put some plants out there next year.
The yard works for garden spots if it gets enough sun.
It has for many years.

074AFE60-923A-477E-AE53-4E15C0C6FAE4.png

33004466-2BA9-4E40-925F-DF4C064B3220.png

CE60A053-DA2F-46BE-955B-46FC36D56026.png

Hey all
So a week after my last pics I posted of my trichomes in my earlier post in this thread, I've taken some more and - to my untrained eye - these look ready, but I'd really value some more expert opinions! I'm sure I can see a few amber ones appearing in these pics but, after 6 long months of this grow, I don't want to ruin things by being too hasty. What do you think - do these look ready to go? Thanks again!

WIN_20201210_08_36_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201210_08_35_34_Pro.jpg

@NuttyProfessor @Emilya

Back
Top Bottom