DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

I discovered early on that the smaller you cut the buds the faster they dry. I now cut each individual flower bunch off and dry like that....I've had success using small buds and layering them lightly in the jar. You want lots of surface area.

The surface area got me thinking of something to insert in the mason jar (that I could fabricate) and then I figured...check Amazon. Has anyone had any experience using one of these? Amazon.com: Mason Jar Infuser by IMMERSED for 64 OZ Wide-Mouth jar | Stainless Steel filter for cold-brewing custom coffee and tea beverages, or infusing flavored water and liqueurs: Kitchen & Dining

Seems Freeze Dried Herb has been done for years...Ed Rosenthal suggests it.

Ok, maybe I need to read more on all of this. I thought there was some alchemy that occurred over the curing timeline and that process was meant to be slow. I will look for some follow up on the attached video as he hadn't commented on the 12 hour freeze dry compared to his standard method. Thanks for the link.

The surface area got me thinking of something to insert in the mason jar (that I could fabricate) and then I figured...check Amazon. Has anyone had any experience using one of these? Amazon.com: Mason Jar Infuser by IMMERSED for 64 OZ Wide-Mouth jar | Stainless Steel filter for cold-brewing custom coffee and tea beverages, or infusing flavored water and liqueurs: Kitchen & Dining

I believe this is what Shiggity was referring to in the Study Hall post this morning. I haven't watched the video attached to that post yet. Good find buckaroo. :high-five:

PS!

I do realize that most people won't have access to an actual cave like I do, so this is not really a method I spend much time promoting. But many people do have root-cellars in their old houses. It's probably useful to let them know they have a very good place to store their dried herbs. After reading through this thread I realize my cave-method and the slow-method you are describing is not the same thing :)

Yeah, but what a great storage place DeVille. Root cellars are a common part of the older homes around here. Victory gardens were all the rage when this community sprung up.

So lets try and wrap our or MY head around this.. I have a harvest in a week and want to try this

So Harvest Buds/branches
wash branches per Sue's Bucket system
Hang to drip for 4hrs Or do we do the 8hr Hang/dry in a closet or dark tent???
Do we trim the Buds Now?
Snip buds off of the stem and place in mason jars, loosly and not bunched up. I saw Sue had cheese cloth on hers instead of the metal lid, is this the plan??
How long, or do we, swap into a paper sack??

How long does this take, sounds like about 2 weeks

Excited for this, with the low RH in the desert this is a great option for me:thumb:

I am officially a little confused - I am all in for experimentation and always willing to take risks in the name of science - I used to be an actual scientist before I had a horrible work accident and became a chronic pain patient instead. I worked in the field "natural-sciences" for decades. So I am of course officially interested in this drying method. But I am not 100% certain I understand what the method is.

Could someone please describe the method for me? I see photos of glass jars filled with water inside a fridge? Then I see people talking about 4 or 8 hours - That's not very slow - is it? What's going on here?

The jars aren't full of water, but bud. The moisture you see is evaporation.

Basically we're trying to learn what approach works best. Most of us wash our buds at harvest, the same way you'd do with any produce. We typically hang for up to a week, but this process is an attempt to retain terpenes that would evaporate off, so at this point I'd recommend no longer than 4 hours. In the fridge, under optimal conditions of temperature and humidity, it can take two weeks or longer, depending on how densely you packed the buds and how large the buds themselves are.

If you can create lots of surface area and open spaces you'll get more efficient drying, so we're playing now with the idea to start in large jars, on their side to make use of additional surface areas, and then at some point switch to paper bags to speed up the process. It's all very experimental at the moment. Ziggy probably has the most experience.

Just signing in to stay subbed as this is interesting. I agree with DeVille in that a little more information is needed though, is there a link to the full method? I have something up my sleeve too in regards to fruiting and curing my plants which I will showcase in my current journal, you heard it here first and I think it will be another winner, or a complete failure lol.

We're developing this one on the fly Kraise, and how wonderful to have you join our little adventure.

Which one is the link to your latest journal? I'm overloaded with threads, so what's one more? :laughtwo:

Ok. If surface area is a concern, how about laying the buds out on pan? I would take a large pan and put a cookie cooling rack on the bottom. Put them in one layer. The air would circulate underneath due to the wire rack.:circle-of-love::peace:

Dave's here! :yahoo:

I never thought of that, but I'm thinking of rearranging the fridge to accomodate it. I live alone, so my fridge has less traffic. Lol!

RheinRover, how could this be adapted to a dorm fridge? How about a hook attached to the roof inside to hang a mesh drying rack? Hmmmm..... might have to custom make one for that size.

What is the benefit of the jars before the bag? I am still trying to plan my wash/dry/cure and planned on a few hours hanging in a 70F dark, dry basement space and then into paper bags until they are dry enough to go into jars. Also, would this low and slow process omit the 62% Boveda packs? Go lower? 45-50% humidity seems very low compared to all the other curing techniques offered here. Thanks!

Hey Blew, only reason I'm going with jars first is so that the wet buds aren't sitting straight on the paper bag causing it to get wet and possibly mold or what not.
I agree that the RH seems much lower with the method compared to others, but also the temperature is much lower as well. With lower temps it takes longer for the moisture to evaporate. Kinda like when you hang your clothes out to dry in the winter. They will dry it just takes a lot longer.
Once my buds were dry I threw a Boveda 62% in there, closed it up and into the closet. Still checking and burping daily for the next few days and then I'll leave it to cure.

The jars aren't full of water, but bud. The moisture you see is evaporation.

Basically we're trying to learn what approach works best. Most of us wash our buds at harvest, the same way you'd do with any produce. We typically hang for up to a week, but this process is an attempt to retain terpenes that would evaporate off, so at this point I'd recommend no longer than 4 hours. In the fridge, under optimal conditions of temperature and humidity, it can take two weeks or longer, depending on how densely you packed the buds and how large the buds themselves are.

If you can create lots of surface area and open spaces you'll get more efficient drying, so we're playing now with the idea to start in large jars, on their side to make use of additional surface areas, and then at some point switch to paper bags to speed up the process. It's all very experimental at the moment. Ziggy probably has the most experience.

Would you trim the buds before placing in the Fridge Sue???
Also are you using the cheese cloth as a lid???

Ok. If surface area is a concern, how about laying the buds out on pan? I would take a large pan and put a cookie cooling rack on the bottom. Put them in one layer. The air would circulate underneath due to the wire rack.:circle-of-love::peace:

That does make a lot of sense Dave. If the cheese cloth is used as a lid then yer idea does have great merrit

RheinRover, how could this be adapted to a dorm fridge? How about a hook attached to the roof inside to hang a mesh drying rack? Hmmmm..... might have to custom make one for that size.

So I just looked in my fridge and the racks are rubber coated wire. There is space for 3 racks. I bet you could lay some nice stainless steel mesh over it and have yourself a real proper drying machine. And it could hold quite the load as well.
Since I don't put lids on my jars I don't see why this wouldn't work plus having the air flow all around with ease a lot stressors.

I have stacking racks and some silkscreen silk that I purchased to strain oils. Some rearranging and viola'!

IMG_74583.JPG

IMG_74605.JPG

IMG_74618.JPG

IMG_74626.JPG

IMG_74637.JPG

I have a good feeling about this. :slide:

I have stacking racks and some silkscreen silk that I purchased to strain oils. Some rearranging and viola'!
I have a good feeling about this. :slide:

This is just perfect! Can't wait to see results. Also drying time just got shorter for you :bravo:

This is just perfect! Can't wait to see results. Also drying time just got shorter for you :bravo:

It's amazing, how inspiration flows when you let it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ok, I showered and dressed, but the eating thing got away from me in all this excitement. Continue playing while I refuel. :cheesygrinsmiley:

That answers my questions:thanks:

I have a 2nd fridge, seems some re-arranging is needed Myself, and some Cool Racks maybe Like Sue's

Hitting some low and slow Dark Devil Auto before breakfast as I watch Pigeon's daily video, and man! The smells and taste are unbelievable. I got a much deeper berry smell from this batch. Whew! First hit made my brain sit right up and take notice. :laughtwo:

Is this method anything for we who smoke the buds as well or is it more for oil-production?

Hitting some low and slow Dark Devil Auto before breakfast as I watch Pigeon's daily video, and man! The smells and taste are unbelievable. I got a much deeper berry smell from this batch. Whew! First hit made my brain sit right up and take notice. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom