Family Man CFL Closet Grow - First Grow Ever!

BlackwaterOG

Yo 420 Familia,

Finally got the wife on deck, finally my children old enough to understand... And so Im walking out on a limb, no pun intended...

Copped 6 seeds, 3 OG Kush and 3 Blue Dream from the big homie. 2 germinated this morning under 24 hours, paper towel method, 4 to go. I am not sure what seeds are what they where seperated and I accidentally mixed and have no idea now. I know three where darker than the other three but I haven't an idea what's what at this point. Need to order some feminized but I've been gathering grow supplies as I go and the wife convinced me to start the grow today.

I have a Milliard 36x36 tent on is it's way, so in the mean time I built a CFL DIY box. Plan on another tent for perpetual soon enough.

I got the two germed seeds in a couple solos with 75% FFOF and 25% Perlite. We'll be adding the remainder seeds once they pop...

In my DIY box I got 2 42w red CFL and 3 24w blue CFLs. Might be over kill in lights for seedlings... Lemme know. Used tap water for watering and have used no extra nutes. I plan on using Fox Farm Trio, with extra caution...

I will be installing my tent and create a CFL light fixture as I go and plan on using this forum for my own future reference as well as constructive criticism if anyone follows...

I have studied far enough and I feel like nothing special by means of a ganja farmer and so my journey begins on this day...

Bare with me this is also my first post in the forums but have sifted the site for sometime by way of googling personal grow questions...

I will answer questions and take pictures as I go and post grow statuses...

Thx BlackwaterOG

full

Re: Family Man CFL Closet Grow - First Grow, ever!

20160731_021223.jpg
At this point I removed the 2 42w red CFLs and keeping the 3 24w blue CFLs... I had temps around 85° in the DIY box, and after removing the red lights I got temps about 80° open closet...

I also added a propagation seal on the solos to help with moisture until the seedlings break out the soil... I have a feeling I'm going to be battling temp issues... The closet stays cool as long as I have the door open and the house A/C keeps temps o.k.... Once the door shuts to the closet I'm getting about 82°... I'm not liking the 82° or maybe I'm not liking shutting the closet door... Any how the box isn't stealth and did take steps to weather strip the door for light leaks not concerned with my box leaking light...

20160731_021223.jpg
At this point I removed the 2 42w red CFLs and keeping the 3 24w blue CFLs... I had temps around 85° in the DIY box, and after removing the red lights I got temps about 80° open closet...

I also added a propagation seal on the solos to help with moisture until the seedlings break out the soil... I have a feeling I'm going to be battling temp issues... The closet stays cool as long as I have the door open and the house A/C keeps temps o.k.... Once the door shuts to the closet I'm getting about 82°... I'm not liking the 82° or maybe I'm not liking shutting the closet door... Any how the box isn't stealth and did take steps to weather strip the door for light leaks not concerned with my box leaking light...

82F with 60%RH would be perfect for your babies. A higher temperature is ok with higher RH. Even better if supplemented with CO2.

82F with 60%RH would be perfect for your babies. A higher temperature is ok with higher RH. Even better if supplemented with CO2.
I think im under the impression that 77° is the perfect temperature and +/- a degree or two... I can easily foresee going mad trying to regulate this... And I havent even focused on humidity although im reading around 50%.... I would love to supplement CO2 but that inner voice is saying that is a bit advanced for me as of now... Although I thought I seen a you tube video of a bagged product that releases CO2... I can try and look into it but not sure what the price is like... I still need to purchase some hardware for the CFLs going in the tent I have some time but that inner voice once again tells me it's gonna move along faster than I think... What would you say the priority would be on incorporating CO2 as far as end yields and is it justified in a closet application such as mine being 3x3x6 with 4 plants...

#Prayingonladyplants

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi BlackwaterOG

The easiest and cheapest way to increase CO2 is to increase your air intake via your exhaust fan. We are at 400ppm now in the atmosphere (I know, it sucks).

If you double the size of your exhaust fan you're at 800ppm. Professional CO2 setup with a tank, regulator, controller, timer, etc, cost a pretty penny and the target is around 1500 ppm. Bigger exhaust fan is a bargain compared to that and with 800ppm you're already half way there without breaking the bank :)

Edit: And without all the hassle of sealing the room as an added bonus :)

All the best.

I think im under the impression that 77° is the perfect temperature and +/- a degree or two... I can easily foresee going mad trying to regulate this... And I havent even focused on humidity although im reading around 50%.... I would love to supplement CO2 but that inner voice is saying that is a bit advanced for me as of now... Although I thought I seen a you tube video of a bagged product that releases CO2... I can try and look into it but not sure what the price is like... I still need to purchase some hardware for the CFLs going in the tent I have some time but that inner voice once again tells me it's gonna move along faster than I think... What would you say the priority would be on incorporating CO2 as far as end yields and is it justified in a closet application such as mine being 3x3x6 with 4 plants...

#Prayingonladyplants

Relative humidity is just as important as temperature. The plant requires both to be within range to allow it to transpire optimally. Transpiration in part controls the movement of water throughout the plant. A quick google search on plant transpiration will be an eye opener as to how important the relationship between temp and RH are to the health of the plant. What ever you read should also include the function of the stomata and the boundary layer. After reading a few articles, you'll have a well rounded picture as to what's happening to the water you put in the soil and the relationship to the air around the plant.

I made a DIY CO2 generator for my cabinet grow. I found it to be useless. If I kept the exhaust fan off to allow CO2 to build up in cabinet, humidity would rise to unacceptable levels. To keep my temps/RH where I want them, I ended up exhausting all the CO2 before it would be of any benefit. CO2 is best left to a sealed environment. It cant hurt though unless you cannot control temps/humidity.

So many factors determine yield.

Environment is ALWAYS #1. This is the single most important part of a successful grow. To take advantage of any other aspect of your grow, the environment has to be correct. Having the biggest baddest light wont help if the temps are too high. There is a relationship between temps/humidity that control the plants ability to absorb CO2 from the atmosphere through the stomata. Nutrients can be locked out at certain temps. The examples go on and on. Everything comes back to the environment.

The best advise I can give is to put all your labor/budget into controlling the environment. Then work on improving other aspects of your grow.

If you need any help or have questions about designing an effective climate control system for your grow area, feel free to private message me.

Hi BlackwaterOG

The easiest and cheapest way to increase CO2 is to increase your air intake via your exhaust fan. We are at 400ppm now in the atmosphere (I know, it sucks).

If you double the size of your exhaust fan you're at 800ppm. Professional CO2 setup with a tank, regulator, controller, timer, etc, cost a pretty penny and the target is around 1500 ppm. Bigger exhaust fan is a bargain compared to that and with 800ppm you're already half way there without breaking the bank :)

All the best.
Hey thx for that info Croatsan, so more air in and more air out would be the most efficient way of incorporating CO2! Ok, because I havent went fan shopping for the incoming tent. I havent even begin to get into the scientific numbers associated with growing cannabis so your post is a plus for me thx.

Makes sense, doesn't it? And as I've edited later the previous post, as an added bonus you don't have to go through a hassle of sealing your growroom.

Funny, people shut down their vents to get CO2 when they should be cranking them up :)

Just kidding, nothing beats the proper CO2 setup if you're willing to cough up a grand but this is, definitely, the cheapest alternative.

All the best.

Between Croatsan and Masonman yall really exercising my brain this morning... And I feel on the right path as the environment is my biggest focus... I fear that my closet is gonna give me a challenge to keep a comfortable home for these, hopefully lady plants... I am definitely hearing the both of you and thanks much... Ill send a picture of the closet space I have I am currently rearranging and Masonman I might take you up on your PM offer on advice, I think I'm going to need all I can for this first time grow... Thx again guys :)

Between Croatsan and Masonman yall really exercising my brain this morning... And I feel on the right path as the environment is my biggest focus... I fear that my closet is gonna give me a challenge to keep a comfortable home for these, hopefully lady plants... I am definitely hearing the both of you and thanks much... Ill send a picture of the closet space I have I am currently rearranging and Masonman I might take you up on your PM offer on advice, I think I'm going to need all I can for this first time grow... Thx again guys :)

It's a huge learning curve. It doesn't have to be learned all at once though. Growers improve with experience. That is why yield should be low on your list of concerns, for now. Just browse the FAQ section, and you'll see very quickly dreams of yields fade as their plants suffer/die from a host of ailments that can be avoided.

With prohibition slowly ending, more time and effort can be spent on cultivating healthy plants. I hope one day all of us can stop hiding our girls in a closet. The larger the volume of air, the easier it is to control the environment.

20160731_121032.jpg
20160731_121009.jpg
20160731_123732.jpg
20160731_124040.jpg

So this is the space I'm working with... The 36''x36'' tent is going in here... I just bleached the walls down cleaned as best as I could.... Placed the DIY box in and also placed a vertical fan inside... I actually moved the vert fan to blow right into the intake pc fan... Placed the bin lid on turned out the lights not too bad for light exposure... Now thinking of how I'm getting fresh air (CO2) into the closet when the door is shut... At the very least I have a two inch space between the bottom of the door and floor although I fear not enough fresh air will get in....

An option for inlet and exhaust into the closet is this...

Buy a cheap replacement door for closet. Cut all the holes in it you want/need. Then, when you no longer grow there, put the original door back on. This is great if property is a rental.

Why are you using a tent? Why not use the entire closet?

An option for inlet and exhaust into the closet is this...

Buy a cheap replacement door for closet. Cut all the holes in it you want/need. Then, when you no longer grow there, put the original door back on. This is great if property is a rental.

Why are you using a tent? Why not use the entire closet?
I really would love to use the whole space... But unfortunately I had to compromise with the wife...

20160731_173129.jpg

Scored some seed from the Fam... 3x Cotton Candy, 8x Super Silver Haze, 2x White Berry, and 16x Mixed Seed...

Looking forward to White Berry and Cotton Candy, but ill try a couple Super Silver just worried about height plus it's a primarily outdoor strain from my understanding...

Super excited on this come up, wasn't expecting the seed but Fam is a seed horder who caresless to grow...

I seen some high grade seed that Fam wouldn't disclose but the deal was if I can shoot some nugs after harvest I'll get the seed :)

Been racking my brain on just how am I going to vent this operation...it dawned on me that my ventilation for my entire home is underneath... And I have made the decision to crawl underneath my home and just recon this closet underneath...looks like I will be venting exhaust underneath... And yes I will saw through the wooden base floor...need to be careful as my breaker box is in this closet and I'd hate to saw through anything electrical...anyone ever vented underneath there home?

Back
Top Bottom