Family Man CFL Closet Grow - First Grow Ever!

Re: Family Man CFL Closet Grow - First Grow, ever!

I'm sure many have. The only thing I would worry about is smell. It will build up in your crawl space and slowly leak out your crawl space vents. The entire perimeter of your house will reek of pot.

Invest in a quality carbon filter. There is a difference between "scrubbing" and "single pass". You will need to be set up for "single pass" filtration. If you go this route, PM me and I'll explain the difference and help size the filter to the fan while making sure exhaust is enough to remove heat.

I'm sure many have. The only thing I would worry about is smell. It will build up in your crawl space and slowly leak out your crawl space vents. The entire perimeter of your house will reek of pot.

Invest in a quality carbon filter. There is a difference between "scrubbing" and "single pass". You will need to be set up for "single pass" filtration. If you go this route, PM me and I'll explain the difference and help size the filter to the fan while making sure exhaust is enough to remove heat.
So this is how I see it... I would like to get a small portable independent a.c. unit and exhaust underneath through a carbon filter...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So this is how I see it... I would like to get a small portable independent a.c. unit and exhaust underneath through a carbon filter...

How big is the closet? A portable AC seems a little overkill. Don't get me wrong, it's always nice to have more than you need.

The issue I see is controlling day and night temps.
I keep my AC set at 69F. That never changes. I rely on the heat from my light to raise temps in cabinet to around 77F.
My exhaust fan runs 24hrs a day, so when lights turn off, cabinet cools back down to ambient 69F.
Humidity is controlled by dehumidifier/humidifier outside of cabinet. Intake air to the cabinet is always 69F - 60%RH. Humidity lowers in cabinet to around 53-55%RH because of the rise in temps.

Plants love a temp differential from day/night. I have seen them grow well with a constant day/night temp also. It's just not optimal.

Since your adding another tent in the future, I suggest a climate controller. Hook a heater to it, AC, and humidifier. Dehumidifier set to 60% NOT hooked to controller. (yes, there is a good reason for that). Exhaust fan vents to closet, filtered (sealed environment for future CO2)

Now your closet is always at perfect temp/RH. Exhaust fans run 24hrs a day, keeping tents perfect.

Either way, you'll end up buying most of this equipment anyway. One harvest would pay for it all.
This setup would allow you to go bigger if you ever decide. Maybe a spare bedroom.

OK... enough daydreaming. Seriously, this is the direction you should be going in. Even if it takes you a year to get there. In the meantime, we do the best we can with what we have.

How big is the closet? A portable AC seems a little overkill. Don't get me wrong, it's always nice to have more than you need.

The issue I see is controlling day and night temps.
I keep my AC set at 69F. That never changes. I rely on the heat from my light to raise temps in cabinet to around 77F.
My exhaust fan runs 24hrs a day, so when lights turn off, cabinet cools back down to ambient 69F.
Humidity is controlled by dehumidifier/humidifier outside of cabinet. Intake air to the cabinet is always 69F - 60%RH. Humidity lowers in cabinet to around 53-55%RH because of the rise in temps.

Plants love a temp differential from day/night. I have seen them grow well with a constant day/night temp also. It's just not optimal.

Since your adding another tent in the future, I suggest a climate controller. Hook a heater to it, AC, and humidifier. Dehumidifier set to 60% NOT hooked to controller. (yes, there is a good reason for that). Exhaust fan vents to closet, filtered (sealed environment for future CO2)

Now your closet is always at perfect temp/RH. Exhaust fans run 24hrs a day, keeping tents perfect.

Either way, you'll end up buying most of this equipment anyway. One harvest would pay for it all.
This setup would allow you to go bigger if you ever decide. Maybe a spare bedroom.

OK... enough daydreaming. Seriously, this is the direction you should be going in. Even if it takes you a year to get there. In the meantime, we do the best we can with what we have.
Well ill be definitely getting what I need for this grow to be the most successful I am not stressing the return I sow as much as getting it set up right, as of now it's a small setup I don't need nothing major... A small cheap 4" inline fan and filter...smallest ac unit I can... But big enough for scalability just within the closet... In live in burning hot ass central Arizona I need an a.c. Trust me... I have a fairly good vision of this... Ill be breaking soil anytime with seedlings and my wife says the tent arrived today...be glad to open her up when I get home... I picked up three more blue CFLs today... So I know I have decent seed and light I have decent space I just need it all comfy... Ill be posting the entire way day dreaming and all, but it will happen no doubt... So at this point priority is going to be more light... A basic nute like FF Trio and maybe Super Thrive and ventilation... Stay tuned...

420-magazine-mobile1341570188.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1822694175.jpg

First seedling appears... Blue Dream or OG Kush... One of the two...

420-magazine-mobile892252589.jpg

Box is getting crowded, tent arrived today and it will be priority to set up manana...

Well my cotton candy popped and 4 of my unknowns popped, will call those Area 87 which is my bag seed name...

Uh I know this is a cfl grow but I'm sorry I'm ordering a 400w kit this weekend, for veg... Fudge it

Looked at a nice 5000btu unit and that is a must to get this closet completely shut... Yea I know I need a fan and filter...

Currently 6 23w blue and 1 42w red, temps are at about 78, humidity is at 55...

Goodnight...

420-magazine-mobile572331059.jpg

Just found a diamond in the rough...

found an oven fan in our old oven that we just replaced...hadn't even crossed my mind...

Has a 4" intake and 6" exhaust and wired it to a computer power cord and this baby hums...

Not sure the cfm but it moves more air than I need I'm thinking...

Maybe I can get a speed controller connected to it...

Any how I'm venting underneath with this behind the tent...

Just found a diamond in the rough...

found an oven fan in our old oven that we just replaced...hadn't even crossed my mind...

Has a 4" intake and 6" exhaust and wired it to a computer power cord and this baby hums...

Not sure the cfm but it moves more air than I need I'm thinking...

Maybe I can get a speed controller connected to it...

Any how I'm venting underneath with this behind the tent...

Great score!

If hooking one of the cheap speed controllers to it causes excessive noise, consider investing in a 5 amp Variac. It's a variable autotransformer. They are recommended for the larger fans. I paid around $60 for mine.

420-magazine-mobile1658031335.jpg

Went underneath the house and got the ok, and cut the hole in the floor in my closet...

Made a hole through insulation and using the same oven fan vent going to the outside as my duct underneath...

420-magazine-mobile1697676269.jpg

This is now in place but not completely installed...

I'm satisfied, it runs with a tolerable hum. I will eventually get a filter not priority for awhile just waiting for my 400w kit...

Yo Masonman, I will be checking into that device...Thx man...

420-magazine-mobile1951362401.jpg

My first week in veg (7 days) for a couple of my plants and 3-5 days in veg for my other 3 plants...

I have 12 23w Blue cfls and the oldest plant looks like Indica dominant so perhaps it's an OG Kush seed over the Blue Dream...Not sure tho...

420-magazine-mobile1600740117.jpg

Ventilation is working super nice keeping temps around 74-78°...

Picked up and super thrive but haven't used it...it's kinda too early...

I also transplanted into a bigger pot...

Aren't the members Here awesome. Good job massonman, your quite the helpful guy. Blackwater your seedlings are in good hands, and it looks like they're up out the soil now too. Here goes nothing, I commend you on your setup. Very impressive for a snap to grow area. I wish you luck and I'll tag along to see these plants become beauties. And as always...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Aren't the members Here awesome. Good job massonman, your quite the helpful guy. Blackwater your seedlings are in good hands, and it looks like they're up out the soil now too. Here goes nothing, I commend you on your setup. Very impressive for a snap to grow area. I wish you luck and I'll tag along to see these plants become beauties. And as always...

KiG :green_heart:cheers
Thanks I appreciate that

420-magazine-mobile1875811748.jpg

OG Kush or Blue Dream... Leaning on OG (8 days old)

420-magazine-mobile859657930.jpg

OGK or BD... Named "Nemo" A light fell on one side of its first true leaves and burned half the leaf and so one fin is bigger than the other... Oh how I apologized...

Next three plants are Area 87 my unknown strains...

420-magazine-mobile193889646.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2036310847.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1066560052.jpg

All watered tonight with Super Thrive and I put just a very small drop of it in just over a gallon of water...when I say a drop I mean a drop...

Nice setup, the plants look great and healthy. I suggest you take a piece of cardboard and paint it white, or any white panel, make cutouts and put it onto your cfl fixture to minimize the light that is going upwards. More light will get to your plants that way. Keep up the great work I'm looking forward to see them bloom. :goodjob: :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom