Family Man CFL Closet Grow - First Grow Ever!

Still need to find out how much passive inlet you need. Since you don't know the rating of your fan all you can do is test by opening the door a little at a time to see if temp drops. If it does drop, then that gives you valuable information in determining the size of fan filter combo.
Completely understood and your absolutely right... I'm going to try that right now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Top the fifth node on my OG Kush... Hopefully I did it right...

420-magazine-mobile2048951403.jpg

That looks perfect. It'll be very short like mine. LST coming soon.

Were you able to lower temps by cracking the door more last night?
You know Mason I got it down to 82 degrees with the door cracked a couple inches... That 1000w aint no punk... I cut through my bathroom to my closet... Ill put a passive vent in the wall on both sides and DIY vent from ac vent into the closet...

I pulled my fan and set it up in my tent outside the closet... Ill get a couple passsive vents and a 400+ cfm fan and filter for the closet... At 500w I can keep it under 80° but 500w aint no fun is it?

420-magazine-mobile778286375.jpg

82 is fine, but doesn't give you any overhead. I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I had at least 20% more cooling power than needed.
Exactly....my bathroom ac vent blows nice and cold, I believe this will work fine... Just need the fan now...it'll get done... The babies age growing nice under these cfl bulbs but again I've never seen them grow any other way...

I can't remember if we talked of this, but there are two types of filtration. Single pass and scrubbing. Single pass means the filter has just one chance to filter the air. With scrubbing, the filter continuously cleans the same air. You need single pass if you vent to crawl space.

A 400 cfm fan would require an 800cfm filter. This allows the air to pass more slowly over the carbon. This will create static pressure and reduce your exhaust to about 200-250 cfm. Just have to make sure that's enough exhaust to remove heat with a little overhead.

Does this make sense? I'm using my phone. Computer is down for a few days. Cannot preview before I post.

I can't remember if we talked of this, but there are two types of filtration. Single pass and scrubbing. Single pass means the filter has just one chance to filter the air. With scrubbing, the filter continuously cleans the same air. You need single pass if you vent to crawl space.

A 400 cfm fan would require an 800cfm filter. This allows the air to pass more slowly over the carbon. This will create static pressure and reduce your exhaust to about 200-250 cfm. Just have to make sure that's enough exhaust to remove heat with a little overhead.

Does this make sense? I'm using my phone. Computer is down for a few days. Cannot preview before I post.
Yea it does make sense, how I see it is that 800 cfm filter will reduce ventilation but it will certainly clean the smell bring it a single pass setup hence the 800 cfm... So are you saying if I get a 400cfm filter it wont clean the smell on a 400 cfm fan?

It would for scrubbing. They are marketed for scrubbing. Single pass info is a little harder to find.

Ok. I explain with more detail.

A quality filter like Phresh will have a performance curve chart. It will tell you how much cfm to generate a given static pressure. Single pass should be about 0.4 w.g. Static pressure. A quality fan like Vortex well have performance charts also. Look at the graff and see how much exhaust can be expected when applying 0.4 w.g. Static pressure.

Final exhaust should be enough to remove heat.

Next we have to figure out how much exhaust you actually need and work up from there.

A 400 cfm fan filter combo will generate even more static pressure. About 0.75 w.g. So there would be even less exhaust with the 400/400. That's why it's designed for scrubbing the same air over and over
I was under the impression if my filter was 800 cfm than a 400 cfm fan would not be strong enough to pull any air to exchange it properly

Exchanging air is a hill Billy method of figuring exhaust. It comes from scrubbing marketing. How many times the air had to be recycled to remove smell.

Example:
800 cfm filter running at 0.4 w.g. Would require a 400cfm fan according to performance curve. Then using performance curve of the fan, the fan would generate 250 cfm exhaust when 0.4 w.g. Is applied to it.

Air moves easier and slower when the filter has a large rating than the fan.

Exchanging air is a hill Billy method of figuring exhaust. It comes from scrubbing marketing. How many times the air had to be recycled to remove smell.

Example:
800 cfm filter running at 0.4 w.g. Would require a 400cfm fan according to performance curve. Then using performance curve of the fan, the fan would generate 250 cfm exhaust when 0.4 w.g. Is applied to it.

Air moves easier and slower when the filter has a large rating than the fan.
Makes since but am I going to heat up ?

Back
Top Bottom