First Grow - Closet LED Hydro - Pineapple Express

Nice job, Drift! :welldone:

My second journal I grew a couple rounds of Pineapple Express using Waterfarms and LED's in a small DIY cab. You might be interested in checking it out, but the short version is that the PE's are fantastic! :yummy:

I've expanded my space a little and going with a SOG on this grow, but you should do real well with your setup, just don't try to grow them too tall with the small LED.

+REPS!

No pics today, but a bit of an issue. Both seedlings seem like they've slowed their growth, and the leaves are drooping like mad. One leaf on the larger one seems quite dead, its soft and wilted, and the other leaves are all kinda translucent and wilty too.

I'm thinking I was too eager to get them in the power grower and step up the nutes.. does that sound like a reasonable assumption? I drained most of teh res, and filled it back up with just straight water (ph'd of course). I'm not sure if its just my imagination but after a few hours it seems like they're not getting any worse. (Which, given how quickly that wilting was progressing I think is a good sign).

Cross your fingers for a swift recovery.. and if there might be another cause, I'd love to hear opinions =]

No pics today, but a bit of an issue. Both seedlings seem like they've slowed their growth, and the leaves are drooping like mad. One leaf on the larger one seems quite dead, its soft and wilted, and the other leaves are all kinda translucent and wilty too.

I'm thinking I was too eager to get them in the power grower and step up the nutes.. does that sound like a reasonable assumption? I drained most of teh res, and filled it back up with just straight water (ph'd of course). I'm not sure if its just my imagination but after a few hours it seems like they're not getting any worse. (Which, given how quickly that wilting was progressing I think is a good sign).

Cross your fingers for a swift recovery.. and if there might be another cause, I'd love to hear opinions =]

I'd take them out of the PowerGrower until they get more roots and water by hand until then. The rockwool retains too much water and, I believe, you're drowning the seedling.

I'd take them out of the PowerGrower until they get more roots and water by hand until then. The rockwool retains too much water and, I believe, you're drowning the seedling.

Makes sense. Must be more patient! =]

Anyway, per your advice I've taken the cubes out of the powergrower. The big one has a decent little root goin on, but the smaller one is barely poking out of the rockwool. Now I'm sure you're right about the drowning. I put them in way too soon.

After pulling out the rockwool cubes, I gave them a gentle squeeze to vacate some of the excess water. I don't have one of those plastic tray things, so I did the same thing I did at the start of this grow - chopsticks in a pyrex casserole. I criss-crossed them so there's about 1/2" of space between the bottom of the rockwool and the small pool of water at the bottom of the pyrex. The root from the larger one rests in the water, and the other one should touch shortly.

I was thinking I might wait til the next set of leaves to even consider moving them back into the powergrower, longer if they dont look strong enough. Thoughts?

My makeshift tray:
121211-1_cleaned.jpg

Root on the bigger one (couldnt get the iphone to focus on it..):
121211-2_cleaned.jpg

The worst of the damage as far as I can tell:
121211-3_cleaned.jpg

They're in their most delicate stage now. I'd just look for a well developed root system before I put them back in - multiple roots coming out of the cube. My entire first journal was a documentation of nothing but me killing seedlings, so I've drowned more than a couple that way!

FYI...You're better off NOT squeezing the rockwool, since it will compress the fibers and decrease the air space. Simply hold the cube in your hand and give it a few firm shakes and the excess water will shake out.

So, it's been 2 full days out of the powergrowers and I'm starting to see signs of improvement. The seedlings stand by themselves now (still using the paperclips for support just in case), and the next set of leaves is starting to come in albiet slowly.

121411-1_cleaned.jpg

121411-2_cleaned.jpg

Disaster! One of them is certainly dead. It seemed to be improving and then just fell over limp and dead.

The other one is growing a decent looking 2nd set of leaves.. its slow going, but it does seem to be recovering. Resisting the urge to scrap it and just start fresh and not drown them this time =]

Well, after an arduous battle, the other plant finally succumbed to death.

Starting over with lessons learned.. Will wait for the seedlings to have a much more established root system and more leaves before putting in the bucket.

The new seedlings have sprouted above the rockwool and the first set of leaves is coming out. Will begin posting pics again when theyre caught up to my previous pair =]

driftme said:
Well, after an arduous battle, the other plant finally succumbed to death.

Starting over with lessons learned.. Will wait for the seedlings to have a much more established root system and more leaves before putting in the bucket.

The new seedlings have sprouted above the rockwool and the first set of leaves is coming out. Will begin posting pics again when theyre caught up to my previous pair =]

You should start a new journal and post a link on this one!

back from the dead.... literally!

pics coming, waiting for my battery to charge up, then i'll snap some.

so, the original two seedlings did die. they were too far damaged to be recoverable I think. so I started fresh with two new seeds. I think I overwatered again, this time just in the rockwool, not the drip system. I cut back on the water, and stepped up the nutes.. one plant continued to die, the other sprang back with a vigor. It's got a bunch of leaves as of this evening, but still no roots poking out of the bottom of the rockwool.

is there a point at which I should just go ahead and throw it in the hydroton and start the drip? I don't want to put it in too soon and drown it, but I don't want to wait too long.

I'm assuming that until roots start poking out, its got enough room etc, and more water/nutes isnt going to make a difference unless its drying out the rockwool from drinking faster than I water, right?

Looks like this grow will be one plant, so I'll be doing what I can to make this one the biggest/best it can be =]

Back
Top Bottom