First Grow - Maui

Yeah I saw the armoire you are using. I've got 3' x 3' to play with for width and as high as I can work her until I get my closet. I'll tune in around harvest to see how long your flowering cycle lasted, should give me an idea on mine. You will probably finish about the time I am either starting or mid flower.

yea only i didnt go with the 24 hr dark before flower just switched em do you think it may affect it its not showing sex yet but its only 4days flowering.. but my other clone has been goin on 2 weeks and not really getting into it either i feel.

I know 24 hour dark isn't practiced all around. If you dropped into 12/12 from whatever you had as a previous cycle should work still. 24 hour dark is a shock and awe for the plant.

Well after seeing her top 3' and now almost done to 4', I am going to start her flower cycle tonight. She is coming off of a 24/7 light cycle, and I figure the impending hurricane is as god of a reason as any to start her without lights.

Any suggestions?

I will post more specifics on stuff I have on hand, her current diet, and try and figure it all out to start her tonight.

went threw hurricane charlie in 04 and katrina in 05 this ones not gunna be anything to worry bout too much. 75mph winds. little bit of gutter damage, maybe flash flood. nothing but a windy storm. they are making it sound like its Armageddon.

post-irene-power-outage.311557
Ok so here is a long overdue update. I apologize for the delay as I have wanted to monitor her a little before making an update.

Due to the neglegence of the power companies and land owners, I lost power due to some long-dead trees that obviously fell on some power lines during Hurricane Irene.

As Nozomi was in her 24 light cycle at the time, I was expecting an outage, but not as long as it ended up being. I lost power for roughly 2 days, but to cope with it, I put her out for the sun rising. Unforunately from when I lost power it was 8:30 PM. She didn't have any good sun for about 16-18 hours and she had begun drooping.

However it kept her going along enough for the power to come back on at the end of the night. So I moved her into the house again and it was clear she was shocked (a known happenstance that it was going to happen).

Anyhow here are some pictures of her currently and some descriptions:

Here you can see she has grown a bit aggressively even after the shock.
31116.jpg

Here she is clearly filling up her nook.
32106.jpg

Some of her leaves developed this overnight with a few other issues like yellowing leaves.
33115.jpg

These leaves I lost pretty much fell off the body as I touched them, otherwise I cut them when they were looking bad. It was not due to flowering stage eating them, but figuring it was a mix of influences at once.
34106.jpg

35103.jpg

Her Tops
36101.jpg

Some of the problems that all cropped up in one day.
37101.jpg

Anyhow I gave her a tiny bit extra water hoping that may help but it looks like from some of the leaves that had already fallen off that she was out of chloros so I am debaiting givng her any, because in other pictures it sorta looks like nutrient burns.

Sooo.. I am beginning to think Nozomi is a little confused. She has been on a 12/12 hour light cycle since Hurricane Irene came through, but she has no real visable flowers starting. No pollin sacs, just more growing. I will update with pictures of her current ailments either tonight or tomorrow.

Ok so photo update. In these pictures are 2 close ups of the buds JUST starting, and 2 close ups of the current ailment which I THINK is a potassium? deficiancy. I know its one of the "P" nutrients but I'll have to confirm later. Anyhow here are the pics.

3863.jpg

4038.jpg

3928.jpg

41105.jpg

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Sorry about the lack of updates everyone, Work crunch and all. She is doing alive and well, though I have some curiosity as to how long shes going to continue to flower. It has been some time and I will be uploading some pictures tomorrow.

However I had gone to Las Vegas for vacation, got back and she had doubled in bloom. Currently she has some weight to her but nothing fancy. Her pistils are still white with traces of brown in them, but they are still wider then the "filler" of the buds. When I post some pictures tomorrow I will explain what I mean.

Pictures of the partially new setup!

This is one of those nice Hydro Tents I got off Amazon.
42106.jpg

Some size comparison, really light weight but as stated in OP, its not the yield I am going for but first time experience with long grace periods to correct mistakes. Also that is a standard sized BIC lighter. I have REALLY big hands.
44104.jpg

A little blurry but a closeup.
45100.jpg

Another closeup.
4720.jpg

Is there anything I CAN do to increase yield without hurting her at this stage?

So I snipped a bud the other day to check her trichomes. She is still all white but was very nice to see regardless. I figured it was worth it to smoke not to get high or anything but rather to see what its like developing. I have never really had an unfinished product in my hands and to get a better breadth of knowledge it was worth it. It smoked very light and felt refreshing. Almost like drinking a glass of water when your thirsty.

Slight healthy grass feel to it, overall I gotta say it was kinda nice to get a perspective of a bud prior to being ripe. When I figure how to steady my cam enough to take a picture through the microscope I will post a trichome pic if I can get a good one.

Hey man I recently got 5 maui fems. from nirvana and cant wait to get em rolling after reading this journal. Did you ever end up topping this plant (although it looks like the lst worked quite well) You really shaped that plant up from when it was a seedling!

In terms of upping your yield what kind of light are you working with? It looks like your tent is a 3x3 so if you were planning on regularly growing, invest in a 400w hps. I have a 3x3 with a 400w with a 8" fan mated to the light, temps are ideal, the plants really love it and it shows. Ive seen a lot of big talk lately with colored LEDs helping thru flowering, so again if your willing to get involved with cost and such, I personally plan on purchasing a tri-color ufo for my next harvest :) the add of color spectrums will give your plant light it cannot otherwise receive.

Elements like wind (a fan) or aeration of the soil can help, so long as your careful to not disturb your roots to much. you can do this with a fork and just giving it a few turns over the top 3" of soil. The more you improve on each area that creates your plants enviorment, the better your yield will be.

I would go with a bigger pot too. I like to look at the size of the pot in retrospect to the size of my yield. If my girl dont got some room to grow, shes not gonna say thanks you know? The absolute best pot you can get is the AIR-pot with the egg carton design. you can easily find them on amazon or something and I would definetely advise you getting one for the next grow.

Since it seems like your not too concerned with yield right now but more so experience, I would look into some of these things and see what is most realistic for you. With the right planning and supplies, you can turn that 3x3 into a space efficient powerhouse!! Good luck dude, it looks like this thread almost got abandoned so I hope I'm not too late. AND DEFF, do some topping in the future, I was trying to stick my head thru the monitor when I was on page 1 and I saw you saying you want more of a short, bushier plant. There is no better way IMO, although adding LST, and SC can take it into another league.. Enjoy the fruit of your labor :bravo:

Well my wife actually bought me the 4x4 tent. I was happy as hell when I realized that haha. As far as the grow it is still active, her trichomes are still all white.

This grow has definitely taken a while I won't deny that, but when testing her buds for coloration, she smoked very very smoothly so far. I did some topping but when I had left for Vegas for a week she basically exploded in some spots more then others by the time I got back. Right now shes a bit erratic in terms of her shape and I do wish she was a bit bushier regardless of height but I am still very content with the turn out to date.

She is over 5' high right now off of that size pot she is growing in. I had intentions to swap her over but she is a little to close to bloom I think and I don't want to sour the buds.

However I am going to try and finish the bloom, snip her buds, and throw her back into vegetation. When I do that I am going to put her in a larger pot and see if I can clone a few while I am at it. As far as the LEDs go, I have been looking at a few myself, 400W would be perfect I think.

While I have a fan inside to offer some "breeze" my 6" duct fan just arrived yesterday, but my filter was supposed to be here today but its a no show so far. Once I hook that up the noise level of the duct fan should diminish a little but I honestly don't mind it.

Next step is to see if I can rig some temperature controlled heating system and migrate this closet to my basement after harvest.

I am glad my grow so far has gotten you excited and hope the results will be pleasing!

Frost, nice work! FYI...On the LED's, a single 400w will not be enough to cover a 4'x4' tent, regardless of what the salesman tells you!. :)

I'm using a 500w AND a 180w in a 2'x4', although the 500w alone would probably be enough. In a 4'x4', I'd probably go with TWO 300w-600w for best coverage. Also, Stevehman has a good LED buyers Guide he posted.

I nearly had a conniption fit when I went in after posting my latest update. I found out that the last 2 days the lights have been OFF!?!. For some reason the power had browned out I guess while I was at work and it through the timer for a tumble. Afterwards I fixed the timer and lights, rearranged the setup and did the modifications below. Over night her top cola has probably increased by 10%. It most definitely did NOT have that definition earlier.

I have to say so far this first grow with minimal real effort on my part seems to be an astounding success. While snipping some of the leaves when getting test buds, they stick so stubbornly to the blades of the scissors, I am SOOOO wanting to just make some hash out of this.

Anyhow I will be looking into the heavier LED as recommended earlier (thank you for the responses) and forgo the HPS and MH lighting I was going to go for. Its a bit more expensive but I am sure well worth the wait.

Latest Modifications:

Well I got my HUGE carbon filter. Oh my is this sucker big. Thats a 6" duct going into it in this picture below.
4821.jpg

Top side fan-to-duct to suck out the hot air.
4917.jpg

Fan from the inside, I snipped a bit of the duct to make small collars to fit on the inside of the tent so that it kept the reflective vents open.
5015.jpg

Fan from the open to air duct down below to suck in fresh air and blow it right onto the plant.
53101.jpg

Her buds are filling out nicely now that I have good ventilation.
52101.jpg

Top Cola.
51104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom