First grow - Not sure what's wrong

hanibalctr420

Hi guys,

I am new here on the forums and a first time grower. I got 2 seeds started just 2 weeks ago, and I've started encountering problems with both my plants. I will try and give you as much information as possible and include pictures.

To start with, some basic info about my setup:

Strain: Sweet Bloody Skunk Auto
Medium: Coco
Pots: 11L and 7.5L
Light: 125W CFL
Feeding schedule: Every 48 hours (given top of medium is relatively dry), approx 350-400ml each plant
pH of water used: 5.8 to 6.1
Light schedule: 18/6
Distance of light from top of plants: approx. 4 inches
Temperature: 69-71F

My problems initially started with one of the plants having a flimsy stem. It began to lean over to a point it was almost flat. I used bambu sticks to give it some support, and started using a fan as I read that air flow will help strengthen the stems. I also noticed that one of the leaves was also clawing and there were some yellowish spots, as you can see in the picture below.

IMG_20170226_153712.jpg

Initially I thought I either had an under/over watering problem, but given that the leaf is clawed at the end rather than the whole leaf being droopy, given what I had been reading online I figured it was probably nitrogen toxicity I was dealing with. This seemed logical as I realised that most people don't give nutes with every watering, which is what I was doing at the beginning. I then decided to flush the soil using pHd water, and I have not given nutes for the last 4 days now to try and lay off it and see how the plants react. I was hoping things would have improved by now, but the problems seem to be increasing.

The leaves have started curling in funny ways, some downwards, some upwards, I'm not sure if this is some type of droopiness or something else, but it doesn't look right. The leaves also feel a bit "crispy". Now, to top it all off, it seems like I've got some whiteness over the leaves, I'm wondering if it's powdery mildew but I'm not sure... I'm also not sure what the humidity is at the moment but I'll be able to check that tomorrow as I've just ordered a hygrometer. As a side note, the growth rate seems to have slowed down a bit since all of this has happened.

IMG_20170226_153636.jpg

IMG_20170226_153514.jpg

Things I've tried so far:

- Water more generously (suspecting underwatering)
- Flush with pHd water and lay off nutes
- Use a fan (18 hours/day)
- Allow more airflow in grow tent
- Move plants further from light
- Clean leaves gently with wet towels

I've read a lot of different threads and a lot of information online but to be honest as a first time grower all the information available has confused me even more because it seems many conditions have similar symptoms and it's hard to make out the problem, there's also lots of different advice and it can sometimes be hard to work out what's right and what's not. I think I've also jumped to conclusions and assumed it was this problem or that problem before knowing for sure, trying different solutions and probably making the problem worse because of that, which is why I've decided to post and get your advice!

Getting a little worried for the girls now and would love to hear your advice. Thanks guys :volcano-smiley:

Approx. 4 inches above the top branch - is that still not close enough? I had actually suspected they might be too close because of the "crispy" feel, the spots and the curling.

The cfls should be at least 2 inches from the leaves.

I don't like coco as a medium, so I can't help you there, but maybe your watering system & schedule also needs tweaking. I like to soak the medium and then let it dry out, but I think coco should be soaked every day til runoff?

Do you have good airflow?

I'd say the airflow is pretty good, I've got a fan and some windows in the tent which let air out. Would you suggest leaving the fan on 24/7 because currently I turn it off when the light goes off (18/6)?

I'm not sure about soaking every day, but I guess I could give it a go. Judging from the pictures and the info I've provided, do you think this could be an underwatering issue? I don't really get much runoff, so maybe that's where I've gone wrong? As with most first time growers, I'm worried about overwatering them which is why I've tried to air on the side of caution. I currently give around 350-400 ml per plant, one of them is in an 11L pot and the other in a 7.5L, reckon that's enough?

Also, judging from the pictures and my post, what would you say is the possibility that there was some heat stress caused by the lights being too close? I can move the light closer in but again I'm worried that heat stress could have been one of the culprits?

Appreciate all the help!

Your plants have stretched a lot, usually a sign that the light was too weak or too far away.

If you have been uber-careful with watering, then they possibly have a stunted root system.

Plants like to get flooded and then drain, that is how oxygen is actively transported to the roots.

I would suggest using more water, letting it drain & see how that affects them.

I have never had success with coco, except with a tomato plant in a leaky greenhouse. it essentially got drip fed every day and grew huge.

Thanks Richard, I've given them each 1L just now, and they are closer to the light, let's see how they react.

Any comments with regards to what may be causing the curling leaves, yellow spots and small white patches though? And the clawed leaf on one of my plants? I'm guessing these aren't all problems that can be attributed to plants not being close enough to the light?

I dont knw about coco but with soil the Ph is suppose to be between 6.1 to 6.9..... And u also stated that you were already giving nutes so early.......

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

From what I've read, coco is happy with anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5, so I don't think that's the issue, unless there are some minor fluctuations between waterings which the plants don't like, i.e. 5.9 pH one watering and 6.2 pH the next?

I definitely did make the mistake of giving nutes early and with every watering too, so I've been giving them pHd water for the last 5 days now, don't plan on giving them nutes until they start to show signs of improvement, if they do that is...

Anyone have any idea what might be causing the leaves to curl at the ends and the small white patches (these feel something like salt buildup) as seen in the pics?

PS: I've just been monitoring the humidity and its at 45% at the moment. Temps are actually around 72-75 F (22-24 C), so you can ignore values in initial post.

Hi guys, here's the latest situation. Some leaves are becoming crispy and yellowish at the edges and tips, the "white patches" that look like salt buildup and the weird curling of some leaves also continues... There's also some drooping particularly on lower leaves.. I'd really appreciate some feedback as this is my first grow and I'm not sure what, if anything...

IMG_20170301_191614.jpg

IMG_20170301_191634.jpg

IMG_20170301_191719.jpg

Thanks guys

I agree with everything Richard recommended. I would add that you are going to have to get lots more light into your setup. Your first grow is going to feel at times to be over whelming. You will second guess every move you make. That is normal, but unnecessary. Cannibals is a weed and really very hardy. Best wishes to you and your garden. I look forward to seeing them bounce back.

Thanks for the reply growguy. So from what you're saying I gather the yellowing edges, tips and the crispiness on some leaves is nothing too serious and probably not heat stress from lights being too close? And 125w cfl is not enough for 2 autos?

Also, any opinion on the curling of some leaves and the white patches that look something like a salt buildup?

Thanks!

Thanks rabbi, I suspected nute burn earlier and gave them ph'd for 5 days but things didn't seem to improve. Maybe I went back on them too soon though... I've posted on the thread - thanks for sharing. Let's see what he makes of it.

Coco needs to be watered at least once a day until you get runoff. According to LEDRF coco holds 30% oxygen even when fully saturated. If coco is not watered fully then the dry areas or spots become hot spots that can burn and damage roots. Most coco users shoot for 5.5-6.0 ph. Go easy on nutrients when the plants are small. Start nutes at 1/4 strength and increase gradually.

StarKiller OG - Rockwool - Ebb & Flow - 1200W LED - 2016
New Member Start Links
How do I top my plants?
Auto Growers Unite - A Community Thread

Thanks penny! I have recently switched to daily waterings, thing is I'm not quite sure how much I should be giving them. I've been giving 1L to my girl that's in the 11L pot and ~800ml for the one in the 7.5L, does that sound about right, because looking at the soil it definitely feels like a lot? Also do you reckon it's good to give them 1/4 strength nutes every 2 days and phd water in between?

Great I will try and be more generous with my watering and see how that goes. Any thoughts on the salt like buildup on the leaves? I'm guessing this isn't anything that will cause harm but as a first time grower I'm suspicious of pretty much anything at this point :)

Back
Top Bottom