First Journal - First Indoor - 600W LED - Soil - Scrog

MrDankSinatra

Hello friends :cool:
Been a long time lurker of the forum, thought it was about time to join in on the fun!:cheer:
I have been a outdoor/greenhouse grower for several years, but this will be my first attempt at an indoor tent LED grow! I'm sure I will learn much along the way and from my fellow greenthumbs :Namaste:

My tent is 3x2x5.I began germinating 3 seeds on 4/1/. 2xAyahuasca Purple(100% Indica) and one Autoflower Original Amnesia(70/30 Sativa Dom). The Amnesia is my first autoflower, and is going to end up outside, but I thought I'd keep her in the loop of this journal to add a little variety..and in case i end up needing some help from my fellow growers here :thumb:

full

IMAG080411.jpg

After they popped taproots, I planted them in a mix of PROMIX HP/PERLITE/COCO... I use this mix as I work in a Woody tree and shrub liner propagation nursery and have access to over 50,000 lbs of it and is convenient. We use it for our cuttings so it is a great clone/seedling mix. I will eventually up-pot to a 1 gal, then a final 3 gal. Once I up-pot I will change to a FFOF/PERLITE/COCO mix.

My lights are 300wx2 LED Full spectrum. I willl be using them from veg thru flower, but am open to considering adding in boosters. The light run cool, and I have a 240cfm exhaust fan that is turned almost all the way down right now, maintaining temps of about 72-85.

IMAG078014.jpg
IMAG078314.jpg
IMAG078413.jpg

I will be using the Fox Farm Trio for nutrients. I also use Superthrive as seedlings, and throughout as a foliar spray. They will be watered using RO water w/ added cal-mag.
IMAG078513.jpg

If all goes to plan, I will be topping them and Scrogging them out to maximize the footprint of the LED's, and also to keep vertical growth to a minimum as my tent is 5ft. I have experience with LST outdoors, but SCROG indoor is new to me.

Today is the 7th day since I began germination. All seems well, although the Amnesia seems to to have stretched slightly.
IMAG08038.jpg

I had my light raised to 38" as I was keeping them on during germination for heat. I have now dropped them too 24". I will keep a close eye on them for any signs of light burn/ leaf curl/ stress. As I said, I am new to LEDs, so any tips or tricks are always appreciated! I have been misting twice a day now. Within the next week I would like to start them on GROW BIG, in accordance with FF feeding schedule.

Let the adventure begin!:lot-o-toke:

Ive got this same setup except just the one 300w led, but its the same light. Ive used it for a month and am very pleased with it. Manufacturers recommendation is 30" for seedlings but you can seem to put them closer without doing any harm.

Ive got the ff nute line too and i can tell you it works great. Just dont go full blast on the schedule, half strength seems to be perfect for my ladies. I try giving them more and they dont like it, ive learned to back off with the nutes cause of some nute burn/yellow tips and too much nitrogen. The claw is rampant in my bigger girl on her lower fans. Slowly getting the dosing right.

Looks good though so far, glad i came across this grow. I love that filter over your intake, that is such a good idea. Will be doing that to my intake today. Thanks for that!

Subbed up and excited for the future!

I run a 600 watt full spectrum and I like it at 15 inches. Tight intenodes. But I like to start them at 20 for stretch. If your scrogging keep these two things in mind. 1) keep your net 2inches from the soil. Scrogging is about bringing the bottom up to the top. Most people just wind up with support that's in the way of watering. If you keep it low she will pay you back. 2) flip before you fill the net. I flip when I start coming up on about 1/2-2/3 full. Then through the stretch I will fill it out. If you get that net in at two inches off the bottom you'll be rolling in the buds. Make sure you top it at 4 and use lst to help.i like anywhere from 16-32 tops when I Scrog. Scrogging is all about setting up the plant ahead of time then working it a little every day tucking. But it will pay you back ten times when done right. Unfortunately most people I've seen just think adding a net increases yields.

Ive got this same setup except just the one 300w led, but its the same light. Ive used it for a month and am very pleased with it. Manufacturers recommendation is 30" for seedlings but you can seem to put them closer without doing any harm.

Ive got the ff nute line too and i can tell you it works great. Just dont go full blast on the schedule, half strength seems to be perfect for my ladies. I try giving them more and they dont like it, ive learned to back off with the nutes cause of some nute burn/yellow tips and too much nitrogen. The claw is rampant in my bigger girl on her lower fans. Slowly getting the dosing right.

Looks good though so far, glad i came across this grow. I love that filter over your intake, that is such a good idea. Will be doing that to my intake today. Thanks for that!

Subbed up and excited for the future!

Thats actually my exhaust! That is part of a easy replaceable carbon filter i built, although I have the same setup on my passive intake as well, to help block dust/unwanted light leakage. and excellent! I'll have to follow along with your grow as well. Im interested to see what type of buds these LED's can produce, I've seen great results from others.

I run a 600 watt full spectrum and I like it at 15 inches. Tight intenodes. But I like to start them at 20 for stretch. If your scrogging keep these two things in mind. 1) keep your net 2inches from the soil. Scrogging is about bringing the bottom up to the top. Most people just wind up with support that's in the way of watering. If you keep it low she will pay you back. 2) flip before you fill the net. I flip when I start coming up on about 1/2-2/3 full. Then through the stretch I will fill it out. If you get that net in at two inches off the bottom you'll be rolling in the buds. Make sure you top it at 4 and use lst to help.i like anywhere from 16-32 tops when I Scrog. Scrogging is all about setting up the plant ahead of time then working it a little every day tucking. But it will pay you back ten times when done right. Unfortunately most people I've seen just think adding a net increases yields.

Thanks for the tips on the scrog! So must already be in your final size pot when you begin? I cant imagine up-potting would be easy once you have it trained into the netting. Is it easier to first just top and lst, keep it down low and tight, transplant, then fill net partially out and flip?

quick update.
IMAG081012.jpg
IMAG081211.jpg

IMAG082713.jpg
IMAG082914.jpg
IMAG083013.jpg
IMAG083115.jpg

The germinated seeds were put in the ground 12 days ago. I forgot :hmmmm: to record the day they broke the surface. Im guessing about 10 days ago, but they seem somewhat stunted to me. my mix has good drainage and i have good air circulation so ive been misting 2-3 times day alternating regular ro with cal mag and and ro with cal mag and superthirve/bigbloom. I wait until the mix is completely dry before i mist.

however some of the seedlings seem to be shooping quite a bit of drooping? My medium is dry before i mist so im fairly confident its not overwatering, but rather my mix drying out to quickly. i will switch to regular watering instead of misting, but not quite to runoff yet. also one of my ayahausca seem to be doing quite well, while the other seems a bit slower, as well as the autoflower. the cotyledons seem to be yellowing/brownish around edges.

should i be concerned or do they seem to be on track?

Sorry for the double post. The uploads are acting crazy on the app right now. Anyways she broke through the soil on the 5th. She actually grew into her CFL over night and burnt a leaf tip a little. But she is also getting 600watts of led mixed in with her CFL. So idk maybe it's the light difference or stunting. Just be gentle with them a little while and see if they speed up. She is moving slow compared to her sister since I started this one out in a 5gallon. Don't water to much either. This one has had 0water since it popped. I usually don't give my seedlings any water the first 15-20days in a 5 gallon, and then I'm only watering enough to dampen the soil just a little. Roots do best when they are lightly damp and looking for water.

yes that was my worry about the size.

i havent given them a true watering yet, only misting, have not drenched the soil at all. and i usually mist in the morning/evenining. my lights are off from 11-5pm. but the soil is competely dry throughout the entire depth of the pot before i mist, and the leaves are droopy. and i think the soil is drying out very quickly, so the soil doesnt stay moist for long between mistings(around 10 hours) and is therefore stunting the growth?

i wish i could change the mix but i know that would be too stressfull at this point.:hmmmm:

Idk I would just give her some time. If she is stunted moving her would make it worse. See if she picks up speed in 2 or 3 days. As long as she ain't dying I'd wait

thanks for the advice brother i appreciate it. my temps are fine, water is phd with 150-200ppm, lights good, airs good, so logically to me its narrowed down to either my watering, or the mix i used( from work, normally used for cuttings of woody trees and shubs that are constantly misted) or a combination of both. i will try to keep my patience and hopefully they hit a big spurt and i can up-pot and change mix.

Another thought. If those lights are viparspectra then they probably have ir. If they do that means the leaf temps are higher than the grow room. Maybe back your temps down to 75 and see if they perk up. I'm running a 600w and was having trouble till I checked the leaf temps. Room was 78 and the leaves were 82. Maybe it'll help you, maybe not. It did on mine. Also just seen your distance. Again if it's viparspectra bring them down between 15-20 inches. This is perfect for that brand of light. Maybe even angle them slightly to maximize coverage

Yeah on your Scrog. You wanna top it and lst at the same time. When your topped plant has 8 tops that are even(lst) top everything again. This will give you 16 tops. Now you can choose to top again or stop there. Then get your net in and work those tops down. The truth about scrogging is that vital aspect of getting everything low. The point is to get all the bottom stuff up to the top. More and more I see ppl that think they are scrogging but instead put the net too high then lollipop the bottom. This is pointless as your net just becomes support.

Yeah 10" won't hurt a bit on that 300. My 600 is working like a champ. But at 10" it starts to yellow the new growth with light burn. I think it's just this strain though tbh. And yeah once the roots hit a certain depth top growth explodes. Week 3 and week 6 are my favs on autos.

Back
Top Bottom