Five's Second Attempt - Coco/Perlite - CFL/LED - NL - 2016

I'm seeing a lot more cloudy now. I would start flushing soon.
Yeah thats what I thought too. A decent amount of amber as well if I'm not mistaken.

I need to have harvest fall on a weekend as that's the only time I have to do it thanks to work. So I was thinking of starting flush on Saturday unless you think that is too soon?
Anyone else feel free to chime in too :)

No, saturday will be good bud. I would have started flushing now already but I like very little amber when I harvest.

Sweet as. Yeah I had planned on there being less amber but it all of a sudden changed over the last week after 3 weeks of looking the same lol.
I'll start the flush on Friday and give them two days of dark before starting harvest on Saturday week.

Should I flush to 0 ppm on the first day or gradually let it go down?

I don't bother to do a proper flush. Just give pH'd water for 7 - 10 days before harvest.

Thanks Sir Bud I'm glad you think so :)
I just hope they don't shrink to less than half what they are now after drying. Like what happened last time

Oh i know the feeling, ive had some terrible plants that have done that too me in the past and leaves me anxious everytime im waiting for a fresh one to dry haha
Main thing is that if it happens just gotta keep ya chin up and go again each time theres something you will do better and less things to go wrong its frustrating but the rewards generally get better each grow :)

Oh i know the feeling, ive had some terrible plants that have done that too me in the past and leaves me anxious everytime im waiting for a fresh one to dry haha
Main thing is that if it happens just gotta keep ya chin up and go again each time theres something you will do better and less things to go wrong its frustrating but the rewards generally get better each grow :)
Yeah I don't intend to quit soon. I can see that getting a decent product is possible, even for me. So all I need to do is raise my skills and speed up the time between harvests.
Thinking of getting a smaller box I can start seeds in and have them grow for the first 3-4 weeks so I can start new ones before finishing the current. I think I'll need a tent for that though, not sure a plastic box would be suitable

Thats the way man, ive been thinking bout the same type of thing lately the good thing about the first 1-4 weeks is they dont need much light or exhaust, just some little cfls and and afan giving them some wind here and there and wel yeah fresh air too i guess. Haha
Problem for me is i dont have money for a 2nd tent which is what i really want so im likely going to do something similar to what youve metioned just not 100% sure how though atm

Thats the way man, ive been thinking bout the same type of thing lately the good thing about the first 1-4 weeks is they dont need much light or exhaust, just some little cfls and and afan giving them some wind here and there and wel yeah fresh air too i guess. Haha
Problem for me is i dont have money for a 2nd tent which is what i really want so im likely going to do something similar to what youve metioned just not 100% sure how though atm
I was just going to get a good sized cardboard box to start with, make a hole to fit a pc fan and put a few cfl lamps inside. I figured that should be enough for a couple of weeks at least.
If that works, I'll go to Bunnings and get a plastic tote to replace the cardboard box.
I'd really like a tent too or to build another wooden box but lacking the funds at the moment. Plus after making the first box and seeing the improvements that need to be made, it's much cheaper and easier to just get a tent lol

A cardboard box is perfectly fine, and if you can gather a few more lights, you can use multiple cardboard boxes to cater to each phase of growing. Only things you need to ensure of is that the cardboard and whatever you use to suspend your devices can bear the weight. Early veg needs less circulation, mid veg needs more ventilation, late veg still more and bloom the most. The size of the plants versus the space they are in will give you an idea of how much. Shit if you can supplement the CO2 and control the heat and RH, the boxes can be completely sealed. By chance are you into homebrewing? If yes, there's some CO2. It's always good to have circulation as long as the plant is well rooted. The older they are, the stronger breeze they can handle. I got ideas for days as I love DIY on the extra cheap. So gather some refrigerator boxes and let's have some fun!

Edit - paint the insides white!

A cardboard box is perfectly fine, and if you can gather a few more lights, you can use multiple cardboard boxes to cater to each phase of growing. Only things you need to ensure of is that the cardboard and whatever you use to suspend your devices can bear the weight. Early veg needs less circulation, mid veg needs more ventilation, late veg still more and bloom the most. The size of the plants versus the space they are in will give you an idea of how much. Shit if you can supplement the CO2 and control the heat and RH, the boxes can be completely sealed. By chance are you into homebrewing? If yes, there's some CO2. It's always good to have circulation as long as the plant is well rooted. The older they are, the stronger breeze they can handle. I got ideas for days as I love DIY on the extra cheap. So gather some refrigerator boxes and let's have some fun!

Edit - paint the insides white!

For the moment I was just thinking of using a box for the first few weeks of growth so I can have two stages going at once and speed up my harvests. Next step would be to invest in a larger tent so I can grow taller plants and use it as a flower room.
For the lights I was just going to use 3-4 desk lamps I have so as to avoid hanging anything. I don't think the cardboard would hold much weight.

I don't drink so not in to home brewing but thanks for the tip.

An old refrigerator has been an idea of mine since the start. Just don't have the tools or know-how to do it properly (story of my life lol)

I meant to imply to use the cardboard box that refrigerators are sold in. The cardboard is often thicker and can hold much more weight on the corners. Some boxes can support a man if a piece of wood is placed on top to distribute the weight to the sides.

I suggest making a veg and transition box so your wait is only limited to roughly the advertised time of your seed stock. A pair of CFL's for veg, and a pair for transition, and your LED for bloom. Just a fleeting thought, I won't be offended if you choose not to do this for any reason.

Edit - By incorporating one or more boxes, your plants that follow will have spent more time in veg and your fem seeds will grow much thicker canopies which will translate to more bud sites and larger buds at harvest. You're ultimately going to need a tent or grow room to accommodate larger plants or just start the seeds later to keep the veg time short.

I meant to imply to use the cardboard box that refrigerators are sold in. The cardboard is often thicker and can hold much more weight on the corners. Some boxes can support a man if a piece of wood is placed on top to distribute the weight to the sides.

I suggest making a veg and transition box so your wait is only limited to roughly the advertised time of your seed stock. A pair of CFL's for veg, and a pair for transition, and your LED for bloom. Just a fleeting thought, I won't be offended if you choose not to do this for any reason.

Oh right, the box lol that's a good idea, I never thought of that.
Not sure where to get one without buying a fridge though. You can also get wardrobe moving boxes from storage companies that are used to hang clothes when moving.
Great for a drying box or as you have suggested above. Plus it has a bar across the top for hanging things.

Transition box? I hadn't considered that. How long would the plants be in there for?

Haha i dunno if i still have pics on the site or not but my 2nd attempt at indoor i pulled out the insides of a projector tv i had and had a little grow going in there if i had abit more funds and tools back then it would of worked a treat, still worked good but once summer came around it wasnt pleasant haha

Haha i dunno if i still have pics on the site or not but my 2nd attempt at indoor i pulled out the insides of a projector tv i had and had a little grow going in there if i had abit more funds and tools back then it would of worked a treat, still worked good but once summer came around it wasnt pleasant haha
Yeah summer is the problem for sure. Not sure how well the box idea will go in summer but I'm thinking with only a couple of CFL's, a decent pc fan and small plants the temp shouldn't rise too much.
Money is the real issue. Oh and legality lol

Transition box? I hadn't considered that. How long would the plants be in there for?

roughly 2 weeks, you can begin 12/12 and even out the 3 part, so when you graduate to the LED in bloom, that is the day you'd start counting from. So maybe put them in transition until pistils begin to show.

roughly 2 weeks, you can begin 12/12 and even out the 3 part, so when you graduate to the LED in bloom, that is the day you'd start counting from. So maybe put them in transition until pistils begin to show.
That's an interesting idea, I like it. I was thinking of putting them under the LED a week or two before flipping to 12/12 so the plants can get used to the change before flowering. This is why I hadn't considered the transition box. Do you think it might shock them going straight under the LED as soon as flowering begins or nothing to worry about?

Nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom