Five's Second Attempt - Coco/Perlite - CFL/LED - NL - 2016

Girls are all doing quite nicely. They appear to have settled in to their new homes and are getting bigger every day. Still have a bit of yellowing on #2 but other than that there are no apparent problems.
There is one anomaly though, it appears #1 has grown two colas, like it has been topped. Only I haven't touched it with anything sharp, only some LST. This is the one that didn't lose it's shell properly and looked as it may die. So I think when all that happened, it kind of topped itself. If that is even possible. Would love to hear your guys thoughts on this though.
I'm thinking of letting #1 go as is and just top #2 and #3. Would really appreciate some opinions on this one though!

Anyways, here are some pics

P3042777.JPG
P3042778.JPG

#1 - As you can see, two colas!

P3042779.JPG
P3042780.JPG

#2 - Some yellowing still here but doesn't look bad. I think it was due to needing the bigger pot.

P3042781.JPG
P3042782.JPG
P3042783.JPG

#3 - Still looking gorgeous

P3042784.JPG
P3042785.JPG
P3042786.JPG

Also meant to include the last couple of feeds/waterings I have given them as there seems to be a difference in the run off measurements between #1 and #2 & 3.
Here is what has been done since transplant

27/2 - Transplant from 200ml cups to 1.3L pots. Feed week 3 at 580ppm 5.5ph. Run off 540ppm 5.9ph average.
29/2 - RO water at 5.8ph. Run off 300ppm 5.8ph average.
2/3 - Feed week 3 at 550ppm 5.8ph. Run off 500ppm 5.9ph average.
4/3 - RO water at 5.7ph. #1 run off 165ppm 5.9ph, #2 & #3 run off 260ppm 5.9ph.

Can anyone explain why the difference may be? They are getting identical amounts of everything so I don't understand why.

#1 may have consumed more nutrient than her sisters, leaving behind fewer scraps, or you simply misread the 2 for a 1 as the ppm readings you've given were split by a hundred exactly.

#1 may have consumed more nutrient than her sisters, leaving behind fewer scraps, or you simply misread the 2 for a 1 as the ppm readings you've given were split by a hundred exactly.

It must be your first explaination because being it my mistake was my first thought. (being that it normally is my mistake lol) But I measured it several times and made sure I cleaned the meter between each test but always got the same result.

You think it might have something to do with the fact it has split in to two colas?

Duddeee! 5 your ladies are looking awesome ! I'm glad you got them transplanted and taken care of. Sorry I've been away but I'm back now. Hopefully for the rest of this ride my friend ! Good luck, looks like your tight track with these girls ;)

Thanks mate, glad to hear you're back. I've been keeping an eye on your journal and I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.
Thanks again for the kind words, its amazing what happens when you don't make drastic mistakes at the start ;) hahaha
Good luck mate!!

Man one thigh I've learned it just treat them right and they'll treat you right. But yeah I went through a little rough of time with people. Had to cut some out to be safe with myself. I missed you and your grow dude. Always such a great journalist !
Glad you got it all sorted dude, nothing worse than paranoia.
Stay safe and keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to seeing how your girls are looking.

Lookin good up in here 5 !! Lovin that lush deep green brother! :goodjob:

Thanks mate, really loving how they look at the moment too. Will top #1 & #2 today and see how they like it

Topped two of the girls last night so I thought I would post some pics to show their progress.
I only topped #2 and #3 because it appears like #1 topped herself and I though't I'd let her go to see how she turns out.

Let me know what you guys think!

P3072787.JPG
P3072788.JPG

P3072789.JPG
P3072790.JPG
P3072792.JPG

P3072793.JPG
P3072794.JPG
P3072795.JPG

Since topping the girls just over one week ago I'm thinking they're looking like they should go in to new pots.
I was thinking of turning them to flower next week.
I'm just wondering what size pot I should use as their final resting place?

The plan in my head is:
This weekend transplant to final pot.
wait 3-4 days
Start transition nute ratio
Wait 3 days
Flip to 12/12 (approximately weekend)
Finish off transition and change to flower nute ratio.

Does this sound like a decent plan or am I rushing things too much?
They way the girls are at the moment they look about 1/3 of the height they have available, so I'm thinking I wont want them much bigger or I will run out of space and I don't think I can LST too much more.
I'll post more pics when I get home but would love some opinions on this.

I'd give the transition regimen for a full 7 days, but yeah, your plan looks great!

Yeah I figured transitional for 7days in total but glad you like the plan.
Should I transplant to a much larger pot or only one size up? Should the roots have room to grow the whole time or would it be better to restrict them slightly to make it focus more on bud production than root production? Or does it not even work like that?

Primarily buds grow in the day, roots grow at night. You'll have to base your decision of what pot size to finish with based on your last grow. At last harvest, did the roots get really thick around the bottom or not? I presume everything will grow better this time around due to little to no stress, so factor that in. In nature, plants dont have to deal with pot sizes, yet they still thrive. For us though, we choose pot sizes to accomplish certain goals, one of which is amount of media per amount of roots. The more media, the more nutes you need to drench all the media. If the root mass is astronomically smaller than the pot size, the roots will consume all the nutes and water where they're at while the rest of the media would remain soaked or very wet which can lead to other problems.

You're skilled enough to make the right choice for your situation.

Primarily buds grow in the day, roots grow at night. You'll have to base your decision of what pot size to finish with based on your last grow. At last harvest, did the roots get really thick around the bottom or not? I presume everything will grow better this time around due to little to no stress, so factor that in. In nature, plants dont have to deal with pot sizes, yet they still thrive. For us though, we choose pot sizes to accomplish certain goals, one of which is amount of media per amount of roots. The more media, the more nutes you need to drench all the media. If the root mass is astronomically smaller than the pot size, the roots will consume all the nutes and water where they're at while the rest of the media would remain soaked or very wet which can lead to other problems.

You're skilled enough to make the right choice for your situation.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, I wish I had the same faith in myself lol!

At last harvest the roots were pretty thick, not quite getting root bound, but pretty close to needing a bigger home. Due to not having anywhere near the stress issues of last time, I'm thinking the roots will be a lot thicker this time around, so a bigger pot than last time may be needed.

I posted a pic previously with the pot sizes I have, I will copy it here again so you can see what I use

P1292707.JPG

From left to right:
200ml
500ml
1.3L
3L
4.2L

The girls are in 1.3L pots at the moment and finished in the 3L pots last time. So logic is telling me the larger 4.2L pots should do nicely this time. I will keep up the LST so I should be able to keep them short enough to not get burnt by the LED I'll be using in bloom.
It only took 2-3 weeks for the roots to out-grow their current pot so I'm thinking it wont take the long to settle in to one a bit bigger.

What do you think? Or is that jump in size too large in your opinion?

Yeah I would go with the 4.2 myself 5! Why not a bigger more spacious hoke for your girl
Exactly what I was thinking. Just didn't want them to focus on root production when flowering. We want 100% concentration and effort put in to some nice fat buds .

The more roots, the more nutes that can be consumed to grow fatter nugs. Promoting root growth is never a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom