Five's Second Attempt - Coco/Perlite - CFL/LED - NL - 2016

I add silica to the very first mixture of nutes at the most reduced dose on the bottle, sometimes less. This however, is mostly due to the amount of ppm that I'd be feeding such young plants, but none the less, calmag and silica and the other amendments I use are only given roughly 150 ppm for all 3 to fit into. This will also give your plants some time to adapt to the menu you provide, and successive doses can gradually increase with your feed regimen.

Ok great explaination, thank you :) I will have to dial things down a bit further as calmag plus week 1 nutrient schedule comes up at 300ppm which I think is a bit high

Try to fit everything into 250 ppm, silica and calmag will need to be halved to leave enough room left for the 3 part. I've found that 3mlGro/2mlMicro/1mlBloom to a gallon of water lands on 151 ppm. I remember the calculator that GH used to have on their site also returned the same result. So that leaves only 100 ppm for silica and calmag to fit into.

Try to fit everything into 250 ppm, silica and calmag will need to be halved to leave enough room left for the 3 part. I've found that 3mlGro/2mlMicro/1mlBloom to a gallon of water lands on 151 ppm. I remember the calculator that GH used to have on their site also returned the same result. So that leaves only 100 ppm for silica and calmag to fit into.

Yeah I dialed it down a bit for the first feed as I didn't want to stress them. I also didn't add the silica the fist time as I wasn't 100% sure. I will for next feed though.
I'm trying to only mix 1-2L at a time so I don't have it sitting around for too long. So it can be a bit tricky to get the right ratio's. I'm getting it close though.

I will halve the recommended doses of both CalMag and Silica as you suggest and see how I go, thanks :)

Fed them their first nutrient feed yesterday at 210ppm 3-Part Flora with CalMag and they seem to be quite happy.

#1 ended up having the inside of the seed shell stuck to her and as she tried to open, ripped one of the cotyledons off. I cleaned her up but she look like she would die pretty soon. I decided to give her a feed yesterday with the rest as I figured it couldn't hurt and she seems to have brightened up and appears like she is really trying to produce some leaves. Weather she will or not I don't know but will be interesting to see what happens.
Being that I only have a small space I can only fit two plants in the end anyway. I only did three in case one died like last time. Looks like it was a good move ;)

Anyways, some pictures.

P1312712.JPG
P1312715.JPG
P1312717.JPG
P1312718.JPG
P1312720.JPG
P1312721.JPG

Looking damn good 5! Those little sprouts look nice and green! As far as the silica goes hell I must be doing it wrong ! I have fed at every feeding with my silica supplement! The girls seem to be doing ok. Also I go off ec, there are times in my current grow that people are like you are feeding them to hot of nutrients. Well they usually can handle it, I've burned 1 plant and it was a few days younger and I forgot, flushed her and then fed her and it was like nothing very happened !

That being said I'm on day 33 and I still only feed 1.5ml per gallon of armor si. So it's between mild and full strength.

Looking damn good 5! Those little sprouts look nice and green! As far as the silica goes hell I must be doing it wrong ! I have fed at every feeding with my silica supplement! The girls seem to be doing ok. Also I go off ec, there are times in my current grow that people are like you are feeding them to hot of nutrients. Well they usually can handle it, I've burned 1 plant and it was a few days younger and I forgot, flushed her and then fed her and it was like nothing very happened !

That being said I'm on day 33 and I still only feed 1.5ml per gallon of armor si. So it's between mild and full strength.

Thanks mate.
Sorry can't really help with the silica, not very experienced with it myself. Skybound may be able to help with that one though

Some more pics of this weeks progress.
Look like #1 is alive and well, seems to be happy and has nice new growth. I'm pretty happy it looks like I saved this one instead of killing her similar to last time lol!
Have fed them twice this week with one plain ro watering in between. Look nice and healthy to me but as always love your input!

P2052722.JPG
P2052724.JPG
P2052726.JPG
P2052727.JPG
P2052729.JPG
P2052730.JPG
P2052731.JPG
P2052732.JPG
P2052733.JPG

Should be getting close to feeding a light dose of nutes 5! Something like 0.1-0.3ec. Cause them ladies are looking good! And growing big and strong ! Keep the strong and don't let them fade to a light green !

Sorry Camo, I should have been more specific. I have fed them twice now at 200-250ppm with one plain ro watering in between. First feed was Flora 3-Part + CalMag and second feed I added some silica. It has been 7 days since I gave the first feed today.
Can't see any signs of stress or burning so I think they like it so far. Please tell me if you think otherwise though

Looking really nice over here, Five. Our grows are nearly identical in age and growth. Kinda fun.

Happy Growing!
/Obi

Time for an update!

The girls seem to be growing nicely! Fed them tonight at 475ppm of week 2 ratio at 5.8ph. I have been steadily raising the ppm to see what they can handle and also because they seem to be eating it up. Run off is coming out very low ppm when using plain RO so all seems pretty good.
Been feeding every 4 days with 1 plain water in between, however they are starting to eat/drink a lot more and now feeding every 2 days with 1 plain water in between.
I also moved the lights away another half inch as #2 seems to be having a bit of heat stress with leaves curling away from the light. Will monitor and see what happens, hoping it doesn't cause a stretch but you will see in the pics. Please let me know you have any comments.

Been keeping notes of every feed/water to know what I have done and compare results. If anyone is interested I'm happy to post it.

Also, apologies for not updating as regularly as last time but everything seems to be going well and haven't had much to tell, which I guess is a good thing lol. Means I haven't run in to problems yet

Main thing is they're growing at a nice rate and are nice and green!!
Let me know what you think

All three girls. Lights too far away guys? What do you think?

P2122735.JPG

#1 - This is the one who looked like she would die when the seed didn't fall off properly. Look at her now!! ;)

P2122736.JPG
P2122737.JPG

#2 - As you can see, curling leaves. It looks like heat stress but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them

P2122738.JPG
P2122740.JPG

#3 - Happiest of all and looking the biggest too. Been good and healthy right from the start :)

P2122741.JPG
P2122742.JPG

If possible, get a small oscillating fan set to low and allow waves of air to constantly challenge the plants ability to support themselves. This is where the added silica comes in handy by strengthening the stalk and branches which will make them grow thicker which in turn will carry nutes more efficiently later in life. It is important to ensure air flow doesn't remain directed at the plants for too long, or too much wind speed as that opens you up to K def again, but enough air to keep CO2 moving around while making the plants do the twist all day will help your objective of heavy bud growth.

If possible, get a small oscillating fan set to low and allow waves of air to constantly challenge the plants ability to support themselves. This is where the added silica comes in handy by strengthening the stalk and branches which will make them grow thicker which in turn will carry nutes more efficiently later in life. It is important to ensure air flow doesn't remain directed at the plants for too long, or too much wind speed as that opens you up to K def again, but enough air to keep CO2 moving around while making the plants do the twist all day will help your objective of heavy bud growth.

I have two small fans in there at the moment but they don't oscillate. However I don't have them directly on the plants, mainly towards the lights to push the heat away. The girls do a little dance all day though, not rough, just light so I think it should be ok.
I can take a short video if you like so you can tell me if it is good or not?

Back
Top Bottom