Flavoring your weed before, during and after harvest

datfatboi

hello, so i wanna talk a bit about flavoring weed. saw a few articles.

so. one method is watering with flavored water 5 hours before harvest. did anyone try this?

also putting aromas in jars while curing, anyone try this?

i'd like to make weed with a strong mint flavor (like mint tobacco) anyone got any tips?

I’ve written about this before, not an expert at anything just a newbie grower / dumb country boy / wanna be gardener trying to learn.

Sure there are skeptics that say it cant be done, but imho any strong scents whether that exposure occurs thru soil, water, air or curing methods can impact the taste. To detractors I ask - if you can flavor the bud after the chop then why not before?

No when it’s done thru soil, air & water it’s not a direct scent transfer, it’s way more subtle. The end result will be weed will have it’s own natural terpene profile based on that genetic phenotype along with included notes of the added scent. In my case it was like weed took the cinnamon flavor and put it’s own gentle spin on cinnamon.

We know weed is an accumulator, they use it at hazmat sites for cleanup.. so if weed is an accumulator and if terpenes are encoded with certain scents and flavors from genetics then couldn’t those terpenes be manipulated by ingredients added to soil, water or environmental air? Sure they can, if you read here long enough you will find cases where growers discovered their weed smelled and tasted like ona gel and guess what? They had an open container of ona gel near their grow to mask the scent from their neighbors or 50. Here’s link Flavored weed

not saying this is for everyone, it’s not something I do regularly, just saying it’s possible. sure the sky is the limit

before the chop,
mint crystals in the canopy
mint essential oils in your feed water (prolly get a boost on pest deterrence)
mint as companion plants
mint crystals laying on top of soil - even tho mint crystals are naturally derived I’m not sure if roots will tolerate direct contact with mint crystals whether finely ground or not when it’s mixed in the soil
mint foliar same as above - if the plant will tolerate that

after the chop
mint essential oil in your bud washing routine but it would need to be in last rinse bucket
mint crystals attached to plant while it’s hanging to dry
mint crystals cooked down into an extract and that flavor essence is sprayed on buds,
mint plants hanging along with colas as they dry hang
mint plants or crystals placed in jars

it would be cool if someone could run a series of 6 clones, it’s gotta be clones tho otherwise how would one account for different phenotypes coming from seeds. But run 6 clones and add simple household spices to the soil as too dress or mix in the feed water. One gets clove, second is cinnamon, the third gets garlic, fourth on citrus and so on down the line. Then have several friends to blind taste test the different spice enhanced produce. But the icing on the cake would be lab testing of the resulting terpene profiles....

Mark my words - one day soon science will catch up. Again it’s not for everyone but I'm convinced it’s plausible

So intrested in this but no1 has come back to answer it
Its a topic thats not as popular as others. Probably the only reason not many replies.
Its interesting and sounds possible. @013 had a couple great ideas.
I'll keep checking to see if anyone else answers.
I'd like to find out more.
Bill

I use Blackstrap Molasses to feed the soil... One of my Buds told me that mine tasted sweeter than his... with that said... we grew clones from the same seed, but not the same grow setup... I am organic and he was hydro.

I have tried same strain, 2 pheno's... one I fed Blackstrap and one I did not.. I didn't find a difference in the taste between the two... but the one with Blackstrap, grew bigger.:D

There will be skeptics but I believe this stuff can change the flavor and terpene profile. I noticed the other night while munching on some cheap bbq fried pork skins, there’s is a definite sugar note that has been sprayed on the skins. Food companies have done this stuff for decades they know that certain ingredients, additives or flavors captures us. Kind of like subliminal seduction that was used in TV ads during the 1960‘s & 70’s...

so yep molasses is commonly used in feed solutions for this crop but not very well understood from flavoring perspective but I’m so glad you joined in with your experience

I agree totally Nunya. It’s not something I would do to every plant, but I am interested in the concept purely as an experiment. As mentioned earlier if bud can be flavored after the chop then why not before? In the case of the ona gel flavored buds (which sounds nasty AF) it would appear this was done via environmental air exposure alone.

I still maintain that the flavor can be manipulated via soil additives, thru environmental air or ingredients in the water bucket and yes while the plant is growing.

think we should start a grow journal dedicated to the subject that way others can join in if interested or willing to experiment

To me this is akin to buying a $200 Kobe steak perfectly cooked in a fine Japanese steak house and then pulling out from your pocket old Taco Bell ketchup packets you found on the floorboard of your car and drowning it with them.
The whole point of growing your own bud is to get that fat juicy Kobe bud that you've massaged and manicured with all its terpenes preserved and trichomes intact, instead of dispensary bud which might benefit slightly from old ketchup packets because its been over dried and machine trimmed knocking all the trichomes off and destroying the terpenes.

Totally agree with your logic. I’m not going to do this with my premium beans but I do think there is merit in playing with a few clones along the way to see what results occur. Nope don’t think it will ever hit mainstream but look at menthol tobacco. A leading manufacturer spent billions in 2003 and shuffled many of their existing brands for antitrust concerns and the money was spent to acquire a single brand which was Newport Menthol because of its market share. Now back up 50 years or so to when menthol flavoring was first added to cigarettes. Turns out menthol flavored tobacco has been a huge success. Obviously menthol is added after curing and during the manufacturing process.

For me it’s not about making a name or any prospect of $$$ but a strong curiosity as to whether or not the flavor can be manipulated while the plant is growing hence the need to use clones so its all done using the exact same phenotype.

On the clone plant I could smell the cinnamon in the harvested buds, after the cure I tasted the cinnamon notes on exhale, the mother plant was not treated with cinnamon and there was no hint of cinnamon at any point - so I know it’s possible. I caught a lot of flack over this from peeps saying it can’t be done. If I’m totally wrong I can accept that with no shame, but until more are willing to try this with clones the questions remain unanswered.

I agree totally Nunya. It’s not something I would do to every plant, but I am interested in the concept purely as an experiment. As mentioned earlier if bud can be flavored after the chop then why not before? In the case of the ona gel flavored buds (which sounds nasty AF) it would appear this was done via environmental air exposure alone.

I still maintain that the flavor can be manipulated via soil additives, thru environmental air or ingredients in the water bucket and yes while the plant is growing.

think we should start a grow journal dedicated to the subject that way others can join in if interested or willing to experiment
Id be down on starting a journal about this!!

To me this is akin to buying a $200 Kobe steak perfectly cooked in a fine Japanese steak house and then pulling out from your pocket old Taco Bell ketchup packets you found on the floorboard of your car and drowning it with them.
The whole point of growing your own bud is to get that fat juicy Kobe bud that you've massaged and manicured with all its terpenes preserved and trichomes intact, instead of dispensary bud which might benefit slightly from old ketchup packets because its been over dried and machine trimmed knocking all the trichomes off and destroying the terpenes.
Personally i cant stand smoke, whether its weed or tobacco i dont like the flavor. (And trust me its not about how good the weed is, even the finest weed I'm not a huge fan of the flavor, i but is sure like the effects :) back when i was smoking ciggies i smoked mint flavored ones, the standard ones i always hated the flavor of....

Totally agree with your logic. I’m not going to do this with my premium beans but I do think there is merit in playing with a few clones along the way to see what results occur. Nope don’t think it will ever hit mainstream but look at menthol tobacco. A leading manufacturer spent billions in 2003 and shuffled many of their existing brands for antitrust concerns and the money was spent to acquire a single brand which was Newport Menthol because of its market share. Now back up 50 years or so to when menthol flavoring was first added to cigarettes. Turns out menthol flavored tobacco has been a huge success. Obviously menthol is added after curing and during the manufacturing process.

For me it’s not about making a name or any prospect of $$$ but a strong curiosity as to whether or not the flavor can be manipulated while the plant is growing hence the need to use clones so its all done using the exact same phenotype.

On the clone plant I could smell the cinnamon in the harvested buds, after the cure I tasted the cinnamon notes on exhale, the mother plant was not treated with cinnamon and there was no hint of cinnamon at any point - so I know it’s possible. I caught a lot of flack over this from peeps saying it can’t be done. If I’m totally wrong I can accept that with no shame, but until more are willing to try this with clones the questions remain unanswered.
What is the process of flavouring tobacco with menthol?

Menthol crystals and other ingredients are liquefied and sprayed on aged tobacco before it’s rolled
Ok, so how about spraying my buds with menthol cristal infused water before harvest? Should be similar result right? How about dosage? Wouldn't wanna under or over do it.

Not physically/chemically/biologically possible to add anything to the soil that will end up in the plant for taste other than organic soil mix that will bring out the terpines from the genetics of the seed.

That's the science.

You want mint flavored weed. Grow mint in your garden and add a little dried leaf to your grinder with some weed. Boom.... minty flavor and its going to be healthful.

Back
Top Bottom