Flavoring your weed before, during and after harvest

Buds Buddy dropped this on other thread from Royal Queen Royal Queen should have ratios.

you gotta to be willing to experiment, maybe don’t risk an entire harvest, 50/50 split so you’ve got something to compare against.

I respect the crap out of you, if you quit growing today you will have seen more plants than I will in 3 lifetimes. been watching you for over a year now. you are fast on the draw, you have seen every possible plant problem and you nail it every single time. you truly are a master grower! so I respect you highly!!!

but we are manipulating nature here, nature does not have to answer to science, it’s one role of science to understand nature

we are not concerned about terpenes genetically encoded by the seed, somehow we are hitchhiking a ride via the roots and/or exploiting other ways thru air & water. how that works I don’t know other than - plants respond to changes in the soil, air & water. some of those terpenes or the biomass itself must end up getting tagged by the added flavor. guess since it’s plant based & fairly well tolerated this is skating right by NPK too.

To me this is akin to buying a $200 Kobe steak perfectly cooked in a fine Japanese steak house and then pulling out from your pocket old Taco Bell ketchup packets you found on the floorboard of your car and drowning it with them.

there's a legendary story about remy martin cognac that comes to mind.

some time in the mid 90's remy noticed there was a lot of cognac being consumed in a particular asian country. remy martin cognac in particular. the stuff is expensive, especially in asia, where cognac in general can be regarded as a status object.

so the company dispatched some executives to figure out what the bump in sales was over, and if they could replicate it elsewhere.

when they got there, they discovered a youth club oriented segment had twigged on to the stuff, and was mixing it as a cocktail in dance clubs with coca-cola.

not really what remy was hoping to promote as an image lol

so the executives had a few coke and cognacs, then hopped on a plane and got outta dodge with a vow to never discuss it again. :cheesygrinsmiley:

yep I get it there are so many purists here, heck we should be. no telling what was in that street weed from 1970’s up until we became a grower. so we have learned no matter what don’t hose up the meds.

manipulating flavor is a controversial subject, but that’s not what I’m asking.

the question is can it be done? can the results be repeated by others? i believe that everything environmental or systemic (soil, water & air) that touches the plant has the potential to manipulate the plant in ways we don’t understand.

science can revise the textbooks later, or I can eat theses words later, I’m down for either

I have been watching this thread and one of those that want to taste the natural flavors. I personally would not do this, flavor my bud, I don't even like blunts and flavored papers or wraps. I do however think experimenting is a good thing and to each his own.

yep I get it there are so many purists here, heck we should be. no telling what was in that street weed from 1970’s up until we became a grower. so we have learned no matter what don’t hose up the meds.

manipulating flavor is a controversial subject, but that’s not what I’m asking.

the question is can it be done? can the results be repeated by others? i believe that everything environmental or systemic (soil, water & air) that touches the plant has the potential to manipulate the plant in ways we don’t understand.

science can revise the textbooks later, or I can eat theses words later, I’m down for either
OK sure here's the trail to your answer.

How are terpines produced in the plant? Its not all genetic.

I don't have your answer but I know there are studies on it. Not for cannabis but there are whole industries dependent on terpines in plants.

This has been studied. I'm sure on it.

Might even be something to do with the Rhizosphere around the roots and the different types of bacteria and fungi that populate it. Manipulate them and change your terpine profile. Its not going to be a huge change but its there.

That's what I remember of what I read but this is an ever changing science.

We really know very little about the root zone and the play the bacteria and fungi have on plant health, pest control and flavors. But there's some science there.

Wanted to apologize @bobrown14 and to anyone else following this thread -I wasn’t trying to be a dick about the flavor concept. I’m still a novice here and at growing too, but based on my limited experience along with copious amounts of reading, then when all the pieces come together and you see something new and different..…. well let’s just say that when you know - then you know.

For me it’s not about being right or wrong - is this repeatable? I’m pretty confident but want to see how this shakes out. Nunya had a great comment on the Kobe beef but flip the script - what if you can take regular hamburger add that packet of Taco Bell hot sauce from the floorboard and turn that burger meat into a Kobe steak?? Again the flavor of my bud is fantastic but to think everyone in the country shares my taste preferences well that’s unrealistic.

Anyway to all of you here - thanks for being amazing! I don’t mind the questions or comments and do appreciate the diversity of opinions. I sure don’t have the answers but I’m trying to dig in….

Its a topic thats not as popular as others. Probably the only reason not many replies.
Its interesting and sounds possible. @013 had a couple great ideas.
I'll keep checking to see if anyone else answers.
I'd like to find out more.
Bill
I got interested when I got some weed that tastes like "Tangerine" vape that the State of Minnesota sells. The bud had some seeds. Two of those girl seeds are finishing up. Very different looking from each other and smell different as well. Different dirt and different phenotype?
Anyhow, they smell of amazing citrus something. I can't get that smell far enough into my brain to satisfy. I must look like an idiot sniffing my fingers. "Here, smell my fingers." I NEED to intensify that smell. This must not include putting stuff onto my weeds. I put apple in my bags when I was a kid. I definitely changed the taste. Now I am looking at how much potassium is there in apple juice.
Do you use RO water? Nope, I use apple juice and cantaloupe juice. Watermellons? Someone has access to a truckload of unmarketable fruit. It is not practical or practicable, it is a step forward in understanding

I
Not physically/chemically/biologically possible to add anything to the soil that will end up in the plant for taste other than organic soil mix that will bring out the terpines from the genetics of the seed.

That's the science.

You want mint flavored weed. Grow mint in your garden and add a little dried leaf to your grinder with some weed. Boom.... minty flavor and its going to be healthful.
That's the science... of a decade ago. New n-MRI tests [sic] show plants are fully capable of uptake and transportation of large complex compounds.

Any food farmer will tell you that virtually everything he adds will change the taste of his produce. They often take great pride that their stuff taste better than their neighbors. Every State Fair has contests to the same.

I use Blackstrap Molasses to feed the soil... One of my Buds told me that mine tasted sweeter than his... with that said... we grew clones from the same seed, but not the same grow setup... I am organic and he was hydro.

I have tried same strain, 2 pheno's... one I fed Blackstrap and one I did not.. I didn't find a difference in the taste between the two... but the one with Blackstrap, grew bigger.:D
I used that also amd yea my baby was HUGE last year, but my weed still has an off smell n taste that I can't figure out been on cure for 4 months, any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom