Foliar Feeding - Why is there so much contradiction?

TheFertilizer

I was reading a wetting agent bottle and it said to spray with the lights on. This is contradictory to what I have always heard that you want to spray with the lights off. Then the reason I find is people insist the stomata are open in the morning when the lights are first on, then people say they're open right beside lights out. Some say the water droplet will form magnifying glasses and burn the leaves, others say it's just solution droplets being too big from not using a good mister or wetting agent...

What I want to know is whst definitely doesn't work. What will definitely hurt the plant. It seems like people cling on to one specific way something works that they think that's the only way it will. I think what's more likely is that most of the ways to do so will work, and only a couple have their pitfalls.

So what are, by personal verification only, ways you have damaged your plants with foliar feeding?

Have you ever done any thing that is supposed to damage them while foliar feeding but didn't?

Things I am specifically looking to debunk...

Lights turning water drops into magnifying glasses
Normal strength nutrients burning plants
No need to pH solution

I think the biggest issue is most people wouldn't be able to rule out all the factors even if they think they experienced one or the other. For example I thought I burned my plant with neem solution but I couldn't tell you if it was because it wasn't pH'd, if it was because the lights were on or if because I didn't use a wetting agent. For me it could have actually been several factors that led to foliar feed damage.

Now days I always wait until just after lights are out (to try to interrupt the darkness cycle as little possible), always pH and always use a wetting agent (Palmolive). What if I only needed to do one or two of those things though? So for example what if pH and a wetting agent are all that's needed and I am just risking interrupted dark cycles for nothing?

So yeah it seems like there's about as many different ways to foliar feed as there is to grow weed in general, but not really a lot of "This will definitely hurt it" facts.

Hi TheFertilizer.

Afraid I can't help with your "definately will hurt/kill your plants list" but I like where your head is at on this post. I like challenge some of "taboos" of conventional grow wisdom and to look at what occurs naturally as my guide to what will and won't hurt them.

Do plants growing outdoors develop damaged foliage if it rains and the sun comes right back out? Mostly not, but it does happen.
Have gardeners been foliar feeding Miracle Grow or other nutrients to the their vegatables for ages without harm? -Yep.
Are they checking the PH of those foliar feeding's prior - I'd guess 99.99% of the time - No.

I think there a bunch of widely held beliefs about what does and does not work that probably more the result of correlation rather than causation.

Be well and happy growing!

I prefer to foliar about 15 minutes before lights on. That way I will not be contributing to the danger of mold in the cooler dark period. I do not worry about magnifying glass droplets. I use yucca as a wetting agent, but I still get droplets. Just don't worry about them.

There is so much contradiction because growers live in all kinds of climates and latitudes, which affect indoor temps, RH, etc. Each grow is also different, too. You just have to use common sense, see what works for you, and adjust as your plants tell you what they need. Keep a journal, good bad and ugly, and experienced people will give you tips as you go along.

Back
Top Bottom