Friend Or Foe? Predators Of Eden

@Obi 1
eggs of butterflies are usually deposited on plants the caterpillars eat ... so does it matter what hatches ?? beside voracious leafeaters :cool:

cant really see specifics on the caterpillar that leads me to identifying it ...

@FelipeBlu
see how it goes ... I think i see large eyes on the beetle which usually indicates a visual hunter ( like praying mantis and dartwings amongst many)

More today, just one leaf so its organic pruning guided by nature

Attachments

• 20200611_160334.jpg
    20200611_160334.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 57
Indeed! Glad it’s only on one leaf at a time!

I dropped in to share pics of this little buddy. Well, I thought it was a little buddy - but it’s not! A perfect ‘friend or foe’ moment.

I’d always thought anything with 8 legs is a spider and therefore a friend in the garden - not necessarily so.

This “spider” is not a spider. It’s an arachnid for sure, but it’s a mite! A clover mite.
When I took the pics I was a little suspicious because while it looked and behaved like spider (albeit a very frantic one) it also seemed a bit mite-like. This is on a young plant - the mite is very tiny for a (not) spider but quite big for a mite.

Thankfully I’ve not seen it again, nor any evidence of problems!

I’ll hv to get the mods to edit the titles and comments for the pics! Not a friend nor a guardian and certainly not a Predator of Eden.
:Namaste:

Hi Head! It‘s not to late to say :welcome: to 420 mag!

I am not sure about that little winged thing - a tiny wasp perhaps?

As for the ants - be wary of ants on your plants! Those ones may just be attacking a dead something, as ants do, but ants will also literally use your plants to ‘farm‘ aphids on!

Hi Head! It‘s not to late to say :welcome: to 420 mag!

I am not sure about that little winged thing - a tiny wasp perhaps?

As for the ants - be wary of ants on your plants! Tries Jones ma just be attacking a dead something, as ants do, but ants will also literally use your plants to ‘farm‘ aphids on!
Thanks for the welcome @Amy Gardner and the advice. I will keep an eye o the plant forsure. Only 2 spotted so far but I am sure the rest are not far behind. :)

Hi folks - I’ve had this visitor from outside in the tent recently. I’m fairly certain it is a lacewing fly and am hoping @Pterostychus or someone else with the knowledge can either confirm or deny :)

It’s not a super clear picture, but it will do. It just makes the cut to be worthy of the thread ;)

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom