Friend or foe: Spider

So, I've come across a few of these guys in my new grow area. And thought I'd ask if anyone could tell me if their friends or foe for my crop?

Figured I'd ask and try to find out before they become a problem (if they turn out to be foe).

Area: Northern Ontario Canada
Found around runoff pump inside of grow tent.

Thanks all!
20210409_201329_resized.jpg

So, I've come across a few of these guys in my new grow area. And thought I'd ask if anyone could tell me if their friends or foe for my crop?

Figured I'd ask and try to find out before they become a problem (if they turn out to be foe).

Area: Northern Ontario Canada
Found around runoff pump inside of grow tent.

Thanks all!
20210409_201329_resized.jpg
Looks a bit like a (male) common house spider, females are more recognizable.
They eat all the stuff you don’t want in there, they have no interest in the plants.
They are nice and won’t bite unless provoked, either.

Looks a bit like a (male) common house spider, females are more recognizable.
They eat all the stuff you don’t want in there, they have no interest in the plants.
They are nice and won’t bite unless provoked, either.
Thank you! I think the mom came by this morning, freaking huge for around here
20210411_120030.jpg

While I'm not a fan of spiders- if they feast on nasties I'll leave them be.

Thanks- I was lucky to date having zero insects in my cabinet

Now that I look at it, it may not be that particular spider. With the multi colored legs it’s likely closer to a Dolomedes tenebrosus (fishing spider) which live in man made structures as well. Neither is any more harmful than a bee, and that’s definitely not a brown recluse or hobo so it’s a friend ;)

If my wife and children saw that spider, they'd want to move houses.
Lol I'm not sure my wife wants to step foot in our garage again after seeing the photo :rofl:
Henry hoover for him
Thought about it- it's an option I'm leaving open!

Now that I look at it, it may not be that particular spider. With the multi colored legs it’s likely closer to a Dolomedes tenebrosus (fishing spider) which live in man made structures as well. Neither is any more harmful than a bee, and that’s definitely not a brown recluse or hobo so it’s a friend ;)

I gotta look those up, but man....I'm hoping that's as big as they're gonna get :nervous-guy:

The first one you show is a wolf spider, I have thousands of them in my area. I leave them alone as they do eat a lot of pests. They can have a nasty bite though. I have spiders on/around all my plants, I will not bother them till close to flower, just don't want the web in the buds.

I had a spider in the grow box, and he'd of been just fine if he stayed on the plant...but nooo,
he had to go exploring, and he found a sticky trap...he's still in there, but he doesn't get around much anymore.... :oops:

The first one you show is a wolf spider, I have thousands of them in my area. I leave them alone as they do eat a lot of pests. They can have a nasty bite though. I have spiders on/around all my plants, I will not bother them till close to flower, just don't want the web in the buds.
I was thinking it looks like the thing we call wolf spiders here too (se michigan), but when I google, wolf spider looks different. I will agree that spider is harmless regardless of its' name. I do throw them out of my house when they come in tho, because they do not hunt by catching things in a sticky web, they build a tunnel web and hide inside it and ambush their prey. There is almost certainly prey inside my house or they wouldn't come in, but not enough imo to support them, so out they go.

I was thinking it looks like the thing we call wolf spiders here too (se michigan), but when I google, wolf spider looks different. I will agree that spider is harmless regardless of its' name. I do throw them out of my house when they come in tho, because they do not hunt by catching things in a sticky web, they build a tunnel web and hide inside it and ambush their prey. There is almost certainly prey inside my house or they wouldn't come in, but not enough imo to support them, so out they go.(
(NW Michigan here) The ones I have seen in Ohio look different than the ones we have here. I think region may have something to do with variants... I could be totally wrong but, if you see them taxing babies on their abdomens... Wolf.

Back
Top Bottom