Germination

shathaway

I seem to be having a problem getting seeds to germinate and sprout. I seem to be about 50 50 success rate. I have been getting my seeds from Herbie's in single packs. I will soak seeds in water over night at pH of 6.5. I have then tried both the paper towel method of two sheets damp with ph'd water folded with seeds inside between two Styrofoam plates. And I have tried putting right into peat pellets in domed container.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something else I should or could do to increase success, I hate buying seeds and not getting germination. Should I buy from somewhere else? I am in legalized state in US.

Thank you,
Steve

I soak in water for 24-36hrs ish, I usually see the seeds crack, then into paper towels

You may try placing the damp towel in a Ziploc bag, and onto a warm surface like cable box, not too warm, like 82deg ish
This has helped me with some tuff seeds
Also scruffing them with sandpaper can help also

Steve,

I just germinated 4 seeds, 100% success rate for me.

I used a small paper towel folded once. Soak them with water and put your seeds in the towel, fold it over and place in a small tray. Place on kitchen window sill. Keep wet but don't drown them. Should pop in 2-3 days.

20181216_204615.jpg

I haven't heard any mention of temperature. If temp is too low the seeds will have a tough time popping, and that's a common issue at this time of year in many areas. If your room temperature drops below the 65 - 80° range, that could explain your troubles.

You should increase your temp. 80-85 works better for me. I had issues just like you so I gave up on the paper towel and went with Jiffy pucks and a small dome. I place the dome on a specialty heating mat and about 36-48 hours later they pop up. I only soak for about 18-24 hours in ph 6.4 water.
The heat really makes the difference. At least it did for me.

Thank you all for the info. I have my peat pellets in my grow tent, but temps are a little low, 68ish. I have just put them on a heating pad on low to see if that helps. starting two more seeds that I am going to put in paper towel in Ziploc, also on heating pad.

Is it better for them to be in light or dark or does it not really matter?

Thank you again.

I have had two situations pop up over the years that might be related to your problem...
First, peat pucks...
I never had any trouble with them until that last purchase. Those pucks must have been way off with pH or something, because for 3 months I killed just about every seed I tried to start in them. After many hundreds of $$ of seeds were ruined, I stopped using that method entirely.

Then the paper towel problem. Some paper towels, especially those made from recycled paper, are bleached to get them white again. That bleach is still in there and if you don't rinse those paper towels several times before putting a seed in there, it is certain death. I also had a bad string of seed deaths after buying a budget pack of paper towels, and it took a while to figure out what was going on.

These days I have gotten much smarter about this and now enjoy a very high success rate of germinating even 5 year old seeds that have been sitting in the fridge all these years. I also soak for 24 hours, but in plain tap water. Then I soak a sterile cotton ball with tap water in the center of a pie plate and set the seed right on top. I cover the plate and the cotton ball/seed with plastic wrap, being sure to leave an air gap between the seed and the plastic on top. I put something opaque over the top to put them in the dark and set this in a warm place.

I have had two situations pop up over the years that might be related to your problem...
First, peat pucks...
I never had any trouble with them until that last purchase. Those pucks must have been way off with pH or something, because for 3 months I killed just about every seed I tried to start in them. After many hundreds of $$ of seeds were ruined, I stopped using that method entirely.

Then the paper towel problem. Some paper towels, especially those made from recycled paper, are bleached to get them white again. That bleach is still in there and if you don't rinse those paper towels several times before putting a seed in there, it is certain death. I also had a bad string of seed deaths after buying a budget pack of paper towels, and it took a while to figure out what was going on.

These days I have gotten much smarter about this and now enjoy a very high success rate of germinating even 5 year old seeds that have been sitting in the fridge all these years. I also soak for 24 hours, but in plain tap water. Then I soak a sterile cotton ball with tap water in the center of a pie plate and set the seed right on top. I cover the plate and the cotton ball/seed with plastic wrap, being sure to leave an air gap between the seed and the plastic on top. I put something opaque over the top to put them in the dark and set this in a warm place.

Thank you, I will rinse the paper towels before I put the seeds in them tonight.

Is it possible to pull seeds from pellets and put into soil? Or would that be certain death?

They have been in pellets for 2 days now, I did use ph water of 6.5.

Thank you, I will rinse the paper towels before I put the seeds in them tonight.

Is it possible to pull seeds from pellets and put into soil? Or would that be certain death?

They have been in pellets for 2 days now, I did use ph water of 6.5.
I am afraid of both pellets and soil at this stage... an inert soil would probably work fine, but I rather would be able to see what is going on, at least until I put that seed with an emerging root into the soil

I am afraid of both pellets and soil at this stage... an inert soil would probably work fine, but I rather would be able to see what is going on, at least until I put that seed with an emerging root into the soil

Is it possible to pull seeds out of pellets and put into paper towel at this point or would that cause more harm than good?

Thank you,

Steve

Could something have happened during shipping, I just tried 4 more using water glass for 15 hours, then paper towel with root magic mycrorizea(spelling off in sure). And no success. Im very frustrated, going to get some from somewhere else that ships to united states.

How long in towels

I'd keep in water longer, I go 24-36hrs

Just did 10 seeds, all germed, have 12 more going no at about 24 hrs, will go into paper towels in the am

Personally I'd go longer in the water
Ike I mentioned before I'll usually see the seeds crack in water

But ya may look into scarifying seeds with sandpaper, Putting towls in zip lock on heating pad

Also be sure towel is damp not dripping wet

The mentioning of scarification surprises me, haven't heard about that since college. Glad its still being taught, very useful.

I will never start seeds in paper towels again, only after a good long soak. Last 9 seeds have all germinated that method, and are doing well. Once root is 1/2 in or more, then its right into promix. Different methods seem to work better for some, but I see more people agreeing on the 24hr soak before paper towel method.

Can't wait to see your sprouted little babies on here. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom