Gort's Outdoor Grow In Oregon

Some pictures from this morning. I'll be putting up a second round of netting this weekend. I've also got to get cracking on a hoop frame. I know that its going to rain eventually and I want to have a frame in place so I can cover them at short notice.
817 Jilly.jpg
817 Tangerine.jpg
817 Blue Dream.jpg
t
Just beautiful. How much space between do you suggest?

Things are coming along and the smoke is finally gone. Temps are lower too. Just a few pictures. Put up a second round of netting.
824 Jilly.jpg
824 single Jilly.jpg
824 Lost.jpg
Thats good news about the smoke! I hope it's done for good. Been hearing nightmarish smoke stories about your area. Breath man. Your ladies look like they haven't missed a beat. So when you put the second layer on, does it rely mostly on like the mass of everything to keep things up? I don't know weather to put another layer on or go tying branches. I know this is difficult but can you describe how the second layer went on please?

Pretty much Stone. When I planted them I had no idea how big they were going to get. This is my first grow here and my previous grows were in my eight by eight foot greenhouse that got six to seven hours of sun a day . Those i used bamboo poles and twist ties to support the flowers lol.

The first round of netting a friend helped me unravel the stuff stretch if our and drape it over the plants. I tucked a few branches through and the canopy just grew up through it. I thought I was going to have to fasten the netting to poles but it was fine on its own. I did the same with the second round only I took more time fishing branches and tops through. So yes the netting is just kind of holding everything together and even when its windy it isn't a problem. The one thing I'm careful of is trying not to water when its going to be windy. I think that's what happened when the trunk split on the Blue Dream.

I'm not sure what I'm going to need to do when the buds start putting on bulk and weight. No way I'm going to be able to support all of them. The things are so big I can have some casualties as I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of it anyway!

I got the second round of netting on Amazon. Way cheaper than the local hydro store.

Pretty much Stone. When I planted them I had no idea how big they were going to get. This is my first grow here and my previous grows were in my eight by eight foot greenhouse that got six to seven hours of sun a day . Those i used bamboo poles and twist ties to support the flowers lol.

The first round of netting a friend helped me unravel the stuff stretch if our and drape it over the plants. I tucked a few branches through and the canopy just grew up through it. I thought I was going to have to fasten the netting to poles but it was fine on its own. I did the same with the second round only I took more time fishing branches and tops through. So yes the netting is just kind of holding everything together and even when its windy it isn't a problem. The one thing I'm careful of is trying not to water when its going to be windy. I think that's what happened when the trunk split on the Blue Dream.

I'm not sure what I'm going to need to do when the buds start putting on bulk and weight. No way I'm going to be able to support all of them. The things are so big I can have some casualties as I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of it anyway!

I got the second round of netting on Amazon. Way cheaper than the local hydro store.
I'm thinking of going the same way. Blew Hiller put me onto something I searched "green garden tape" and it came up on the amazon. I just ordered some for the ones I can't truss up with nets. Check it out.

So since I moved up here to Oregon from CA I have been kind of obsessed with getting the soil in my backyard as good as I can get it. My old yard was infested with gophers so my only in ground option was in my 8 ft x 8 ft greenhouse. I didn't put in a floor just dug it out and lined it with Gopher wire. When I did I had to go down about two feet. The clay layer there was like potters clay and it took along time to get it into decent shape. Lots of compost, manure, peat and some Gypsum to help break up the clay. I had it in pretty good shape and then I moved here.

The soil here is a red clay base but nothing like I had in CA. The Willamette valley was a flood plain. When I started digging I found all the rocks to be like those you'd find in a riverbed. I'm not much for soil testing but I do have a simple PH meter. It was in the mid range. The beds were for the most part rotting and when I was digging up the soil I found that in each bed they had put that fabric membrane in the bottom of each bed. I'm not sure why they put it in as all it was doing was keeping worms out of the beds. I dug them all out and added some new beds. It was a lot of work digging down and amending below the grade level but I wanted to do it right the first time. I have piles of stones that I pulled out. The good news was that I didn't have many tree roots to deal with. There was one thing I did notice and that was a total lack of earthworms when I dug down a ways. So that is one of my goals to get plenty of earthworms in the soil. I did all the soil work this last spring so when I amended the soil I did so that I could grow vegatables and cannabis this season. So in the lower level I used compost, peat, manure, gypsum and some lyme. When the season is over I'm hoping to do an experiment.

I have been reading up on winter mulches for beds and cover crops. There are tons of leaves here in the fall you just have to get the right ones. Nothing too acidic. I also got my hands on a couple bales of straw that hasn't been treated with herbicides. I'm hanging onto plain cardboard and I'm saving coffee grounds. I also get them for free from the coffee houses. What I'm hoping to do if my back holds up is do dig out the beds again before the rains set in and layer coffee grounds, manure, leaves, straw and cardboard. Put the dirt back in and plant a cover crop. I will have a good five months for everything to decompose.

I have looked into buying worms but most are for compost piles red wiglers. There are night crawlers which are regular earthworms from what I have been able to read so I may get some of them and throw them in when I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom