Gotta Crawl Before You Walk!

So I'm using a 5 gallon dwc right. I'm ready for a water change I'm guessing at 2 weeks. So I tested what's in there now and it's still running 5.6 on ph and at 600ppm does it need changed. Will nutrients decrease over time from the plant. Do you just change the water for fresh water. Any help appreciated

Thanks tahcoe

Sounds like you are on schedule. My question is what was the ph and ppm at the beginning? There should of been a change because that is how the plant lets you know it is eating. If the ph is off the plant will not consume the nutrients like it should. There is also an add back formula to let you know how much nutrients to add back, again the plant is telling you how much it is eating. If the ppm is dropping the plant is telling you it is eating, and I would bump it up some but that is just me remember this is all a learning experience. I have to find my notes and formulas on DWC. I will get back to you. I hope this helps I am not a expert.

Here is the link for the Lucas formula as well as the add back formula. Lucas Formula

A lot of growers will say that this is old school or out dated. If you use it correctly it will work and you will always know where your nutrients are in the rez. Also I feel you can use this formula for other nutrients as well as GH nutes. I will put the add back formula below. You can put your numbers in the example.

Example:

((1330 - 947) / 1330) * 8 * 22
(383 / 1330) * 8 * 22
0.3 * 8 * 22 = 53 ml Flora Micro

53 ml Flora Micro, double that and you get 106 ml Flora Bloom. So 53 ml Flora Micro and 106 ml Flora Bloom to add back to your 22 gallon res to get you from 947 to 1330.

do not let this intimidate you once you get this down you will know what your rez is doing. I think DWC is great and gives great rewards . Do not get me wrong soil and coco also gives great rewards. All comments are welcomed. I am here for the knowledge and I am not a expert.

Here is the link for the Lucas formula as well as the add back formula. Lucas Formula

A lot of growers will say that this is old school or out dated. If you use it correctly it will work and you will always know where your nutrients are in the rez. Also I feel you can use this formula for other nutrients as well as GH nutes. I will put the add back formula below. You can put your numbers in the example.

Example:

((1330 - 947) / 1330) * 8 * 22
(383 / 1330) * 8 * 22
0.3 * 8 * 22 = 53 ml Flora Micro

53 ml Flora Micro, double that and you get 106 ml Flora Bloom. So 53 ml Flora Micro and 106 ml Flora Bloom to add back to your 22 gallon res to get you from 947 to 1330.

do not let this intimidate you once you get this down you will know what your rez is doing. I think DWC is great and gives great rewards . Do not get me wrong soil and coco also gives great rewards. All comments are welcomed. I am here for the knowledge and I am not a expert.
I appreciate any and all input. I know there are many ways to grow and success stories as eventually I will figure it out and have my own. I think I'm choosing to try cloning this plant and then flowering as 1 doesn't seem enough will come out of it.

2/5/2020

After a rough 2 weeks fighting a root canal that got infected and got another root canal on same tooth to fix it. I will make this short and sweet.

Groot is looking great actually so I thought I would give it a shot to clone some. Hahaha I got scared and only cut the most bottom biggest fanned single leaf stems I could part with. Needless to say dead nothings by morning. So stop by hydro store for fun and grabbed some rapid roots instead of my own plain rockwool. We shared a laugh at my expense and he gave me a few pointers he uses. He said I should cut new growth from a little lower or wherever but must have a few "branches" as I put it. So, I know now i will only probably kill half of the 8 right. We will see! . I only have a small humidity dome that's short so this may be a problem. Guess we shall see. So here we are. Ph is 5.7 ppm 180 to 200. Light i hope is far enough away it's also weak glowlight and i have a heat lamp below. Temps maintain a warm 76 degrees constantly and humidity 55% plus whatever is in dome. Here is a few pics! I have to post the first clones as that's pretty funny. I'm sure everyone will see my huge whoops!

Tahcoe

Attachments

• 20200205_155859.jpg
    20200205_155859.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 20200205_154418.jpg
    20200205_154418.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • 20200205_154415.jpg
    20200205_154415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 20200202_163027.jpg
    20200202_163027.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 89
Does this look like possible leaf spot. A few leaves have them so I trimmed in case. If so how to fix isnt to hard hopefully. And trimming hopefully helps. Insights please?

Attachments

• 20200208_074458.jpg
    20200208_074458.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
It looks more like pest damage to me. Thrips are most likely, although spidermites or leaf hoppers can't be eliminated. Leaf spot septoria is yellow, hence the more common name of 'yellow leaf spot.'

Thrips leave what may look like spit, as you have, or snail trails. Their young look like tiny worms on the leaf.
Spider mites are tiny, and can be hard to see. Use a magnifier to closely examine the bottom of the affected leaves.
Leaf hoppers leave clusters of spots on your leaves where they’ve sucked out all the sap.

Shouldn't be pest damage as this is in a tent. Or can it be... tent is Inside my basement and I have never had any pests really in the house but maybe a house spider or 2. It may be nothing. Could the light have been to close for a day or so. I raised it also today. Trying to eliminate possibilities.

Also I will add about the light was 18 to max 24 inches away. 2000w led. Didnt think I was 2 close. But even some lower outside leaves had this. Also all were big full leaves

Shouldn't be pest damage as this is in a tent. Or can it be... tent is Inside my basement and I have never had any pests really in the house but maybe a house spider or 2. It may be nothing. Could the light have been to close for a day or so. I raised it also today. Trying to eliminate possibilities.

Despite the precautions I take, I had fungus gnats in my tent this grow. We don't have an immunity card.

Tahcoe I look at growing as a learning experience. It does not matter if it is soil or DWC murphy's law is in effect. The good thing about it is that you are experiencing things early on, so by the next grow you have overcome a lot of obstacles now you have become well versed. Chalk it up as experience. Grow my brother.

Good point. I'm used to grass growing in a lawn. I own a lawn and pest control company but unfortunately this falls only a little in my category. Disease and growing this particular weed per say is what technically would be killed if in a lawn lol well actually removed and taken home. Thanks for everyone's insight on this. Like I said I trimmed it all out and the rest of the plant and roots still look great. Hey i guess this worked as its first real topp!

Happy Growing
Tahcoe

Back again after another 10 days and this damn root canal is still jacked up. Not to mention got sick and had to cancel dentist appointment till Wednesday. Anyways on to groot. Everything seems to be doing what its suppose to and I really have no complaints or anything crazy or new actually. Everyone has been very helpful and tonight I topped and thinned groot quite a bit for the 2nd time now. You guys are right about grooming and topping etc... these plants thrive afterwards. I'm assuming this strain is just a short and bushy plant, as well I have kept the light pretty close. The clones I pulled on the 5th have started to get some roots. I pulled 2 stems out to test and happy with this time around. Hopefully in another 7 to 10 days I can transfer to their new dwc buckets. I also found out about autoflowers (who knew, awesome) in the last few days and decided since my tent is so big I could throw some northern lights autos into soil around on the edges of my dwc's and hopefully get some smoke while these others are still vegging or starting to flower whichever comes first. Hopefully soon enough we have some good buds or some good laughable learning experiences. Oh and finally got the other strain into its dwc forever home. That little girl is purple cake.

Happy growing,
Tahcoe!

Attachments

• 20200215_173737.jpg
    20200215_173737.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • 20200215_173627.jpg
    20200215_173627.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • 20200214_065242.jpg
    20200214_065242.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • 20200214_065236.jpg
    20200214_065236.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 94
All caught up and in for the grow, things are looking good, dwc is quite a learning experience, I've only grown 1 plant in dwc, it's interesting and from what I've seen it can reap some big rewards, I don't know if it's how I want to grow, I like coco better but would still like to try an auto in dwc. Just keep it simple, change the res every 7-10 days and it's all good.
Good luck with the clones, they love humidity and need it since they have no roots yet.

I have been sitting on a block of Coco for 6 months now. I want to get into coco, some say use straight Coco and others say use it with a certain percentage of perlite, so I just do not know what to do. I have some decent beans now no more of that bag seed, and I do not want to mess them up. Maybe after a few more readings on this forum about Coco I can make up my mind.

Back
Top Bottom