Grand Daddy Purple S1 & Pre-1998 Bubba Kush S1

GDP looks fantastic Chimp, how long is her flowering time?
Just ordered some beans and really excited about it.
Cheers bud
There's lots of "fake" GDP out there. I'd have to double-check but I seem to remember you needed to get it from a clone to get the original stuff. @PotChimp probably has details.

GDP looks fantastic Chimp, how long is her flowering time?
Just ordered some beans and really excited about it.
Cheers bud

They always seem to go at about 8-9 weeks. I was actually thinking of getting some more seeds of it myself, but I know I wouldn't get what I got the first time.
Here's the six GDP plants I have going now. I have to get them repotted tomorrow because they're starting to get rootbound:

A few of them have a little color:

There's lots of "fake" GDP out there. I'd have to double-check but I seem to remember you needed to get it from a clone to get the original stuff. @PotChimp probably has details.
It's the Ken's Cut GDP that I think was clone only

It's the Ken's Cut GDP that I think was clone only
Yeah, ordered 5 fem GDP from the tube. Authentic genetics seems to be good beans, but payment options made me go to the tube
Hopefully, turn out ok.
Would have loved to grab that clone, but clones are not a option in my area unfortunately

Yeah, ordered 5 fem GDP from the tube. Authentic genetics seems to be good beans, but payment options made me go to the tube
Hopefully, turn out ok.
Would have loved to grab that clone, but clones are not a option in my area unfortunately
I don't think clones of Ken's cut have been available in over 15 years and, I'm pretty sure, you needed to be local to California to get them. I really don't remember the story too well, but I think Ken Estes or possibly one of his associates, ended up reversing a clone and either self-crossed or maybe crossed with Purple Urkle to produce seeds that got distributed.

But, GDP is basically a cross of Purple Urkle and Big Bud and I think a lot of less reputable houses/breeders sell their own crosses of those two strains but don't really have Ken's genetics.

I'm probably going back 10+ years on this story, so I may not be entirely accurate. Frankly, I'm surprised I remembered "Ken's Cut"! :bong:

Hopefully, turn out ok.
OK...It was bugging me so I did some research and it was my old Grow Brother, @Goldengoose7 where I originally got the story in this post:

He was a great guy and hasn't been active in many years, but his journal is still there and worth reading at least the first post.

:Namaste:

It was about the time that journal was written when I first got the seeds I'm working from now. When Estes started Grand Daddy Purple Seeds and went online, I missed the first run of "Ken's Original Grand Daddy Purple" seeds they sold, but caught the second run (about 1-1/2 to 2 months later). Ten regular seeds from the 'Tood. I grew six the first time, and four the next. In that second grow, I used a GDP male to pollinate two GDP females and one 818 Headband female. The first GDP female got IBL'ed for three generations, and the second GDP female got pollinated for three generations with the male IBLs of its sister. I IBL'ed the mother with more hairs on the buds; the second mother had less hairs, if I remember right. I then crossed both a male and female of those, but the offspring grow funky. That colorful plant on the previous page is one of those offspring.
I also made feminized seeds of the really nice GDP plant I kept all those years, but none of the seeds come out looking like the mother.

I think most (if not all) of these pics are of the GDP female I kept for all those years. Plus some funny ones I found :)

View media item 1587097

It's been a while, but my life has been way too busy lately; sorry :(
Here's a pic of one of the Pre '98 Bubba Kush S1 plants I have in bloom:

I culled all the males and put all the female GDP plants I'm growing now under 12/12. I'll try to get pics up later tonight of them. :thumb:

Hope your busy in a good way chimp
:passitleft:

Hey, good to see you around! :thumb:
Yeah, it's mostly in a good way, except what I'm busy with isn't exactly what I want to be busy with. Things went bad with my sister's health again (almost a carbon copy of what happened last year), but she's been back home about a month now and things are stable for the time. I'm mostly busy with that, as you can tell by the neglected way some of my plants look. And doing a little home renovation.
Hope things are going good for you and yours.

Pre '98 Bubba Kush S1:

I decided to trim down that GDP male and see if I can get it to reveg without flowering. If I can, I'll keep it and try to find a mother; it's the only true male I can remember since I've been doing this that I've come across. I'll try to get pics up of the four females I have left up tonight. :thumb:

This GDP plant is deformed. The main cola started blooming under 18/6 (like a lot of these offspring do), and the secondary branches are just now starting like they should under 12/12:

This one has deformed and spotted leaves:

I'll wait and see on this one, but it doesn't look like it's going to get very purple:

I just don't like the way this one looks:

If I had to pick a mother for that true father I'm keeping (if it lives), I would have to choose this one. It has curly leaves just like the one in the advertisement pic:

If the father doesn't live, I might try to reveg that one anyway.

That father didn't live, but I decided to keep two of these GDP crosses and try to reveg them, until I grow something better:

That second one is kinda iffy, but the buds looked nice and I might try to self it if the plant lives.

Yeah, that second one (above) croaked, but the first one lived. I'll save it and redo another plant or two, but as you can see in this pic, the purple isn't strong. Every time I reveg something with color, those colors come out a lot before the new branches start to grow. This one didn't get very purple and doesn't smell grapey:

This is a GDP f3 x GDP f3 that I kept that has some color to it and a good buzz but grows funny:

I'll keep it until I get a chance to grow more seeds. Next I'm doing GDP seeds from the first breeding I did (from the second GDP mother this time; the last time I did seeds from the first), but I'm overcrowded right now. I usually don't do dense growing plants in the Spring/early Summer, either. This year it seems kind of dry though, so I might take a chance starting them in around a month if it stays that way. :thumb:
My Pre '98 reveg which needs more room:

Grand Daddy Purple f3 x Grand Daddy Purple f3:

My Pre '98 reveg is getting to the point where I can take clones, and in about a month I'll go ahead with some more GDP seeds from my own pollinations (the second mother I was pollinating this time). I'm still trying to find one good plant that I can self, and if I don't get it in a grow or two I'll probably order more GDP seeds and try again.

Back
Top Bottom