Gratefulred Grow 2.0 Sonoran Desert

Hey folks. I was just comparing these grow with my previous at around the same developmental age. In my previous grow, the plants began to show signs of overwatering (I think) around this time with leaves beginning to droop. The below was at about two weeks after germination:
December9.jpeg

And this was three days later:

December11.jpeg

I notice with this grow, they are much more spread out and open. Question: is this positive or negative? Is this what they should be doing at this stage? Or are they continuing to stretch too much?

1-18.jpeg
1-18b.jpeg

Thanks everyone.

They look fine to me- looks like you're doing everything right!

Hi all. Just an update - things seem to be progressing well. My three older/bigger ladies are seeming healthy and strong and their younger sister (one week younger - started her when I lost the first seedling) is doing well too. Feeling more confident about watering schedule. Feeding with prudence - using FF and some Myco+. Still on the right track everyone?
59B78792-91CE-49DE-AE78-28C7AE25587C.jpeg
4AA2ADBF-606A-4096-A216-261517C22511.jpeg

They look good to me- Keep doing what you're doing!

Good morning, grh...
You may have the beginning of a calcium deficiency...Do you water with heavily filtered (RO) water?
RO water lacks the calcium(and traces of magnesium) that's normally present in tap water, so the plant develops a deficiency.
Try switching to tap water first, to see if it helps.
If you already use regular tap water, and still get a deficiency, you can add some Cal-Mag to it to bring up the calcium levels...
It could also be a pH problem, (locking out nutrients), but you said you pH to 6.2 early on- if that's still the case, then that's not part of the problem...
I'm not an expert on deficiencies - but I have had the same thing you're seeing when I was watering with rainwater, and a little shot of calmag (4ml./gal.) solved it-
Those leaves won't heal, but the damage will stop progressing if low calcium is the problem.

Good Luck, Hope this helps you a bit!

The tap water will probably do it- I bought a liter of cal mag, used apx 20ml of it, and haven't needed it since, so the cheap route would be just switching to tap- most of the time, that'll do the trick...

I'll give tap water a shot today. Another question for y'all... I germinated some seeds last week. Had to be out of town for a few days after planting the seeds (all had tap roots). I most likely made the soil too wet, hoping they wouldn't dry out while I was gone. What I'm seeing in this photo is some suffocating roots leading to less-than-stellar growth.

IMG_0404.jpeg

Contrast this with one germinated that same time, but put into a bit more open soil:

IMG_0403.jpeg

Is there anything to do at this point? I'm assuming the only course of action is to not water for some time until the soil drys and the roots can breathe and hope for the best?

Thanks everyone.

Like you said, just let them dry out, and at least 3 of them should be ok- that one in the front left may have
something else going on, though- but you'll know more after things dry up a bit...it may perk right up...

Yeah, totally. Interestingly that one you are talking about looks a lot like another from a fall grow that ended up being the stronger of the bunch. I'm learning here - thanks for the reply. Thinking I should really let the soil dry almost fully at this point?

another from a fall grow that ended up being the stronger of the bunch.
My ugliest-ever seedling turned out to be my best plant ever!
Thinking I should really let the soil dry

You want all that water in the bottom of the pots to dry up, so yeah, pretty dry- wait for the pots to get really light.
After a day or 2, you can sprinkle a little water on the soil to keep the surface roots from drying out too much- just a little, though (apx 1 tbsp.), and you should do that every day until the next full watering.

So is this the same cal/mag deficiency do you think?
No, it's not the same thing-they're hungry, so they're pulling nutrients from the leaves -leave those leaves on there till they fall off on their own or she'll start pulling nutes from the other healthy leaves...
I'm not sure what you're feeding them, but it's time for a bit of a stronger dose.
Sooner rather than later would be good- that yellowing will progress pretty fast if they don't find food in the soil...

Those temps sound fine- remember though- once they go outdoors, you'll have to start dealing with
all sorts of critters (aphids, caterpillars, mites, snails) so you may need to buy some stuff to keep the bugs in check, if you don't have it already...

Those temps sound fine- remember though- once they go outdoors, you'll have to start dealing with
all sorts of critters (aphids, caterpillars, mites, snails) so you may need to buy some stuff to keep the bugs in check, if you don't have it already...
yeah, no.... I don't really have a defense system in mind...

The yellowing has increased on both - one leaf dried up almost completely and another on its way. I did feed with a bit more intensive nutrient mixture most recently. the soil seems to get dry pretty quick. Letting them dry fully each watering.
IMG_0439.jpeg
IMG_0440.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom