Grow cab critique wanted

VindictiveB

420 Member

Hey long time no see y’all!
So it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, moving soon and no longer renting! The gf and I have bought a house.
All my grows have been indoor and with tents and with moving I was hoping to upgrade to a bigger tent but it’s not gonna happen as the house layout will not accommodate any tents.. which leaves me the garage, unheated and the Canadian climate..
I haven’t figured out the dimensions just yet but rough sketches my general idea. I intend on including some sort of environmental controller on the exterior of the cab and I’m sure I’ll add other details along the way.
I’m thinking 3/4” mdf for the exterior painted with a truck bed paint and routed corners, 1.5-2” rigid insulation?.. possibly a thicker roxall. Interior will be 1/2 mdf with a couple coats of white paint and possibly an epdm (rubber) base for water proofing. I have a 6” can fan and vortex for exhausting may add a 6” duct booster for the hps for the warmer months. Also planning on going with soil and likely heating mats as needed.

Now I’m no where near building stages and still have some Reno work to do on the new place but this has been running throug my mind for some time.

Anyone care to chime in, thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!
VindictiveB

MDF is quite heavy and a pain to work with/doesn't take screws or nails very well is my first thought, and not terribly good around moisture but if you paint/seal it well it should be okay.. I would go for some low grade 3/4 cabinet plywood if it was me. Depending on how cold your garage gets you might be better off framing up a cabinet with 2x4 or 2x6 and using fiberglass batt insulation as it has far more r value than the rigid foam. I would try to incorporate a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation to prevent your moisture from escaping and condensing either in or on the outside of the wall if the garage is to remain unheated... You may get condensation in your garage from the exhaust during cold weather so that may need to be routed outdoors. Be sure to insulate the floor too as I see you have in the drawing. A lot of people seem to like the oil filled radiator type heaters for safety and nice even heat. Congrats on the new place! Hope we get to see your project and plants eventually!

2nd the mdf comment. how good does it have to look ? 1/4 ply with styro insulation glued to it would be easy to work with. maybe refectix on inner walls. fiber batt might be over kill lol. part of the trouble is building it for the cold can limit it to seasonal use.

2nd the mdf comment. how good does it have to look ? 1/4 ply with styro insulation glued to it would be easy to work with. maybe refectix on inner walls. fiber batt might be over kill lol. part of the trouble is building it for the cold can limit it to seasonal use.
Very true about the insulation lol my own garage would probably need it in winter though. The good thing about batt is it could be easily and selectively removed as needed if the outside sheathing was screwed on

just be aware that fiber batt will need vapor barrier. it's super bad for mold in a humid environment without it.

sThank you all who took the time to respond! :Namaste:

MDF is quite heavy and a pain to work with/doesn't take screws or nails very well is my first thought, and not terribly good around moisture but if you paint/seal it well it should be okay.. I would go for some low grade 3/4 cabinet plywood if it was me. Depending on how cold your garage gets you might be better off framing up a cabinet with 2x4 or 2x6 and using fiberglass batt insulation as it has far more r value than the rigid foam. I would try to incorporate a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation to prevent your moisture from escaping and condensing either in or on the outside of the wall if the garage is to remain unheated... You may get condensation in your garage from the exhaust during cold weather so that may need to be routed outdoors. Be sure to insulate the floor too as I see you have in the drawing. A lot of people seem to like the oil filled radiator type heaters for safety and nice even heat. Congrats on the new place! Hope we get to see your project and plants eventually!

I do agree, Not a fan of using MDF, its big, bulky and just a plain pain in the a$$. The only reason I thought of it is because of the ability to router the 90 degree corners with minimal chipping. I have since sketched up a panel design, 6 panels to make the box, leaving the front panel out while I frame the inside of the box. The panels will be made with 2x3's and 1/2" plywood and insulated for a total wall thickness of 4" but as I type this I'm also thinking of what bluter said; 2x4's with 1/4 ply :rolleyes:
I'm a commercial roofer by trade so I have access to commercial vapor barriers and single ply roofing membranes as well, thus the rubber liner for the bottom of the grow areas.

As for the looks, I was shooting for something kind of modern/industrial that wouldn't be an eyesore in the garage so this will test all of my woodworking skills haha. As for heating, I was hoping the 600w would be enough when letting the heat vent in the cab, warmer months I plan to vent through the top either passively or with the help of a fan. I just got rid of my oil filled heater aha. At the same time, I've been told the garage of the soon to be new place is heated, but I don't recall seeing a furnace when looking at the garage. We take possession on the 20th so I'll have a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Humidity is another thing I'll have to consider.. I'll definitely document the build process when the time comes.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom