Growin' Again

on dive weights.

Good point. Being a tinkering type am going to try and move on from the last system for next grow with soil.

I had the polystyrene in the trays to reduce the water volume and get faster cycling of the wet / dry and the wieght to stop that floating.

What i plan for the next grow is to use shallow nally bins, with lids, in black, so that roots that come out the bottom of the pot are in the dark where roots like to be. Use 2 x 250mm diameter pots / bin. Much like the DWC experiment grow i am doing now but only 1 plant / pot. Fewer, but larger plants than i have done so far with more room to LST each plant.

Will use a 50/50 mix of soil / perlite. Lots of perlite to get a nicely aerated root zone and no probs with over-watering.

In each bin, an autopot smartvalve, gravity fed. That will mean the pots pretty much permanently sit in < = 25mm or so of water. But thats ok as long as the soil mix is half perlite.

Will run a couple of aquarium airstones in each bin to oxygenate the standing water in the bins 24/7. Becomes something like a shallow DWC setup, but water not nutrient solution??

Should be neater than the polystyrene i used before, no lead weights, and will have no or much less algae growth than the open trays did. But, still gives me a system i can walk away from for a few days at a time with reliable watering. Going back to a soil mix, rather than the straight the perlite i am using in my DWC grow will also mean i can forget the constant pH / ppm monitoring. :) The soil mix i make up also has a bit of fertiliser (Growers Blue and Osmocote) from day 1. Seems to give the seedlings what they want without burning them in the early stages. Once established i feed with 1/2 strength Thrive / Neem every week or 10 days and get happy plants. :)

Yup, tinkering is fun. :)

Lead (Pb) and water

Suspect that i dont actually have issues with lead toxicity with the grows i have done to date. But, worth removing it for the future so the question doesn't arise.

Hey, i grew up in the era of lead fuel additives so probably get away with less in the way of weights on a dive than i should. :(

"Used lead to soder the copper peices together. "

Yuck. :( Bit more intense chemistry involved than growing weed though.

Have a friend at work who does the home moonshine thing, but he has a strong lab background and is ODC on purity / contamination. Makes a very nice Gin though. :)

Day 50 on this DWC experiment.

Am going to flip to 12/12 and grow these out. Plants not as big as i would like but having 2/pot is a bit restrictive.

And, not really seeing much advantage in the DWC. More work / monitoring and from germination think i do as well or better in soil.

Anyhow, crank up the light and flip to 12 /12. Small harvest in 7 -8 weeks. :)

Day 57 / Day 7 of flowering.

Am having to defol quite often at the moment. Plants look like they are happy with the pH around 6.4. Getting a few spots on the older fan leaves and some crunchiness, but whip them off if they are less than perfect. Into the freezer for butter and tinc. :)

Looking at the next grow and planning. :) Have to since i'd like to veg the next one for longer. Seems to me from reading other people threads i may do better with fewer larger plants than lots of smaller ones.

Will use the plan a couple of posts upthread. Have all the gear for that already :) Have some travel for work next year so reckon i will have to get the seeds in for the next grow about 20/1/19. That will give me 20 total weeks for growing and drying before i have to go away. Could do 12 weeks veg and 8 weeks flowering i think. Will be growing at the hottest time of year but these plants seem ok to grow in the 30's.

Seeyahs!

Day 62 / Day 12 of flowering.

Another defol. Accumulating quite a bit of leaf from this lot. They grow back fast.

Not seeing flowers at the moment but they are stretching. Would expect t see first flowers in the next 4-6 days.

Flushed with water and changed solution. Flowering Thrive, some Trace Element powder, some Potash.

pH5.8 ppm 730

Seeyahs!

Day 76 / Day 26 of flowering

Ah well, things not going very well. :(

Hot weather here and temps running 37 - 39 degrees C. Much heat stress that i cant really do anything about and plants not happy. Will run this for another two weeks or so to let the buds fill out a bit and then chop.

Will put more effort into a grow starting last two weeks in Feb i think, for harvest in mid June. Will definitely go back to soil for that one though.

Day 88 / Day 38 of flowering

Happy new year all! :)

This grow ran into real temp issues. Temps in the tent 38-39C for long times which doesn't really work. :(

Had a 4 inch fan on to put ambient air in, with the 140mm computer fan ducted to extract through the light fitting.

Have now simplified by removing the 4 inch and computer fan, and installed a 6 inch variable speed fan extracting through the light fitting.

Much more airflow. Temps today while i had the fans off changing over were 39, and dropped to 32 a few minutes after the new fan went on. :) Should have done this moths ago, but live and learn i guess.

Really need 50 days / 7 weeks for flowering the variety i have so am 10-12 days from harvesting. Will see what the weather is like and if the new fan helps keep the temp down may be able to start next soil grow sooner than i thought??

Have made holders for the Autopot Smartvalves so i can get rid of the lead wieghts i was using to stop them floating. Am going to set up 2 Nally bins to hold 2 x 250mm diameter pots each. The bins will have lids (already made up for the DWC experiment) and the pots sit in there through holes in the lids. That will keep the root zone nice and dark and i will get less algae growth than i have had in open trays.

Pots have holes pre-drilled around their top edge so will be able to LST easily. Up till now i have gone for more, smaller plants in a grow. Part of that has been growing and then checking for seed stocks. Am now confident that i have a good stock of viable feminized seed from the self fertilised hermies, and a viable stock of regular seed. :)

Having read a few other people journals i think i maybe i will do better on yield with 4 larger plants. May leave them to get a bit taller before i top them and start LST though???

To cut the water volume inside down, (so it floods and drains more often) i'm going to break up and wash some paving bricks instead of using the polystyrene i used last time as they are about the right thickness already. Have tried using clay balls hydroponic media for this before but that was massive FAIL. You get clay balls under the pots every time you shift anything and the posts need to sit on the floor of the Nally bin for the watering to work properly. :(

Will probably start new grow journal for that one later on.

Anyhow, hope all well for fellow travelers in 2019. Seeyahs!

Ta for that link lowded. :) Will have a look.

Spent today cleaning tent and stuff. All good wash out with vinegar and ready to go after i mix up some soil / perlite mix.

After cleaning i have the light and fan back on to warm up the tent as have the 4 small plants just harvested hanging in the top of the tent to dry. Summer here so with everything running am getting 34 C in the tent and 35=40% humidity for drying.

Have rebuilt the watering with the smartvalves so they sit nicely in the nally bins and if i need to use a lead weight to hold them down, the lead weight is up and out of the water. No possible contamination issues. :)

Really, reverting to as simple a soil grow as possible and trying to apply lessons learned. The only "experimental thing next grow will be using the "Great White" mycorrhizal additive and NOT using neem as a prophylactic. I'll read up and follow the instructions on Great White, but would be interested in any feedback from people here that have used it. Will have to keep an eye out for insects but can use Vectobac as and when i get gnats, and if i get thrips or mites will have to work out what to use that doesn't interfere too much with the Great White.

After i have dried, worked out yield from this lot (which is a bit pathetic) and posted it , i'll start a new grow journal and post pics of the setup during assembly.

seeyahs! :)

Hi
Good harvest hope you will be satisfied with smoke result :)
You can continue in this journal and just call it perpetual :) then we don't have to search for you.

Arggh..not into perpetual threads. Useful bits get buried in pages and pages of other stuff. Each to their own.

Harvest done and dried. Got 9.4g of leaf / trim for butter, and 24g of loose bud.

6g / plant @ 0.226g/day Not the shining light in terms of result...but am well stocked at the moment.

So, any mods cruising past can shift this the completed journals sometime?

Anyhow, will be back with a new one in a few weeks and checking notifications. Seeyahs ! :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom