Heat & Watering Question

moss1310

Hi Everyone:

We have are having a hot spell here in Portland and I question if I should be watering more often. For examp[le, I just watered my plants Saturday. By the end of Monday after 2 very hot days, my poor plants were completely wilted. This morning they had rebounded, but weren't completely perky. I did water them again this morning to be safe with at least 5 more days of heat but should I be watering them more when it is hot?

Thanks for any advice.

re: Heat & Watering Question

Hi Everyone:

We have are having a hot spell here in Portland and I question if I should be watering more often. For examp[le, I just watered my plants Saturday. By the end of Monday after 2 very hot days, my poor plants were completely wilted. This morning they had rebounded, but weren't completely perky. I did water them again this morning to be safe with at least 5 more days of heat but should I be watering them more when it is hot?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes (assuming you are growing outside).
I'm at the south end of the state and we are going to be 100+ for the next few days.
My girls need water every other day but it depends on how big they are, your soil, and how much water they get each time.

I also am in Portlandish, I have been watering every 2 or 3 days. She just started to pre flower so I have heard not to let them get to the point of wilt? Also, should I be feeding every water? With the frequency of watering I am worried about over doing the feed!!
OG79

I also am in Portlandish, I have been watering every 2 or 3 days. She just started to pre flower so I have heard not to let them get to the point of wilt? Also, should I be feeding every water? With the frequency of watering I am worried about over doing the feed!!
OG79

Yeah - I'm a BIG believer in wet/dry cycles for youngsters, but that's to build roots. By now that job is done. It is much more important to keep them happy in flower. The plants should tell you if they need more or less feeding. I'd either alternate feed with plain water, or cut back on your EC if you feed every time.

If they are in pots- keep in mind that roots can overheat and need to be moved into a cooler situation- watering helps cool them, but too much heat and they'll still boil.

Shade helps. I sometimes dig them into the ground, especially if I'm away for a while, or else pile some sort of mulch type material up around the pots.

I put white plastic bags around the pots. I have also placed things in front of the pots to create shade.
I have some in pots and some in ground. The potted plants definitely take the heat harder.

Also Portland area. I've got mine in a Smartpot in a tent in the garage. Temps in the tent have reached 91F this past week. I keep the exhaust fan on full blast during the day and swap out small tubs of ice 3x per day.

Back
Top Bottom