Hello! And a couple questions

Welcome to 420 @Lindseywink. Some people use 18/6, some use 20/4 and others use 24/0. Everyone has their own opinion. I just go 24/0 so I don't have any added worries with timers not turning on or off etc.

The link Pennywise provided in his welcoming post is full of so much information that it should almost be mandatory reading for anyone that grows anywhere in the world. Some of the best growers on the planet reside here. Use them.

Happy New Year :)

Welcome to 420 @Lindseywink. Some people use 18/6, some use 20/4 and others use 24/0. Everyone has their own opinion. I just go 24/0 so I don't have any added worries with timers not turning on or off etc.

The link Pennywise provided in his welcoming post is full of so much information that it should almost be mandatory reading for anyone that grows anywhere in the world. Some of the best growers on the planet reside here. Use them.

Happy New Year :)
Thanks for the reply! Yes I've read mannny grower pages but I just wasn't sure if the seedlings needed the same schedule as the veg stage, I couldn't seem to find that anywhere. his place has been so awesome and helpful!

Seedlings and clones don't need the same amount of light(wattage) as plants already passed their intial rooting stages. It's not about the schedule as much as it is about them getting 18+ a day. Lower powered lights are fine for seedlings and clones because they should be concentrating on root growth and not leaf growth. In fact, lower wattage CFL's seem to be almost better for new growths and clones. We want those roots balls to grow and establish!

@Emilya

has a great guide posted here about watering and root growth and how it effects yields and plant health. I'll post again with a link, I think it's amazing.

This is Emilya's post on proper watering. Light and water are the most important part of any plants life cycle. Once the people in this thread figure out your lighting issues, use her guide to keep your plant healthy and growing strong and big.

Hey again! My seedlings are doing great in their new home and seem to be growing before my eyes! I'll post a pic down below. They have about double in height since this photo. I'm curious about how tall they should get during this early seedling phase? They seem to be considerably growing in height, so I just am trying to be certain that they are getting too much stretch. I have my light at about 30" above as suggested and I'm using and LED's. They were put into my tent this past Sunday. I was going to start a grow journal but I have insufficient privelages, I'm assuming since I'm new here.

has a great guide posted here about watering and root growth and how it effects yields and plant health. I'll post again with a link, I think it's amazing.
Hiya Sub,
awesome advice. I'd like to make your life a little simpler if I could, by suggesting to add Emilya's link in your signature, such as I do. It's a great way to access it quickly. :peace:

Seedlings and clones don't need the same amount of light(wattage) as plants already passed their intial rooting stages. It's not about the schedule as much as it is about them getting 18+ a day. Lower powered lights are fine for seedlings and clones because they should be concentrating on root growth and not leaf growth. In fact, lower wattage CFL's seem to be almost better for new growths and clones. We want those roots balls to grow and establish!

@Emilya

Thanks for the link! I'm actually doing a hydroponic system but if I use soil in the future I'll definately refer to her guide!

I glossed over the DWC part of your first post I guess, I just re-read it and I'm sorry about that. Still a great readI linked you, you can never have too much knowledge :)

@MrSauga took your advice. Thanks man :)

I'll try and answer as best I can!
Hey again! I was wondering if you could point me to a guide about pruning the plants? I'm entering week 3 and they are doing great! But I can't seem to figure out when to start pruning from searching online. I feel that pruning can be complicated and I don't want to mess them up! I don't know anything about it!

Normally I clean up the lower 1/3 of the plant a few days before I flip to 12/12. Then at around 21 days into flower or when stretch stops I look at the plant from above and remove just those fans that are blocking light from budsights. I really don’t trim aggressively.

One other question. I'm confused about how long to let my plants grow in veg for. What is the recommended time to let them veg before switching to flowering lights? I'm growing Jack Herer and Critical Purple Kush. Thanks in advance for any help!
Vertical height is your limiting factor. Figure most plants will double in size during stretch. You’ll want some space between the top of the plant and your lights.

Vertical height is your limiting factor. Figure most plants will double in size during stretch. You’ll want some space between the top of the plant and your lights.
Okay. So I'm in a 6.5ft high grow space. I think Ive seen places to switch to flower at about 2-3 weeks veg, does that sound about right? Is there a benefit from letting the stay in veg longer? Thanks again for all your help!

Well bigger plants yield more bud, but you don’t want the plant growing into your lights either. 6.5 vertical space. Subtract the space your takes up and give yourself 12”-18” space between the top of the plant and your lights. That’s how much space you have for the plant. If you flip the plant at 18” tall it should end up around 3’ tall.

Back
Top Bottom