Help!

Chris209

420 Member
I've started seeds in coco and have a home made mix ready to transplant in to when ready. It's indoor, auto, and I just want to check the mix to see if it's ok.
It is 25 litres for 5x5ltr pots
60% coco fibre
30% perlite
10% worm castings
3 tablespoons of fish blood and bone
Half tablespoon Epsom salts
4 handfuls chicken manure pellets.

Will this be ok to start, I have A&B to feed latet.

The knowledge here is like an endless spring :) most use peat when adding organics, and off the top of my head, not sure who I could give a shout out to that might be able to help you, but i am sure there are members here who have tried coco and organics :thumb: But I will pop in later and see if anybody can help you and comment to move the thread back up of no one does :)

The knowledge here is like an endless spring :) most use peat when adding organics, and off the top of my head, not sure who I could give a shout out to that might be able to help you, but i am sure there are members here who have tried coco and organics :thumb: But I will pop in later and see if anybody can help you and comment to move the thread back up of no one does :)

Thanks again, I'm more of a fruit and veg man so know the basics of what a plant needs but the indoor thing is new to me. If it's not ideal maybe I could split the mix I have and go 50% my mix and 50% organic compost. I will wait for more advice before I re-think.

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum @Chris209 :welcome:

I've started seeds in coco and have a home made mix ready to transplant in to when ready. It's indoor, auto, and I just want to check the mix to see if it's ok.
It is 25 litres for 5x5ltr pots
60% coco fibre
30% perlite
10% worm castings
3 tablespoons of fish blood and bone
Half tablespoon Epsom salts
4 handfuls chicken manure pellets.

Will this be ok to start, I have A&B to feed latet.
I was going to say something honestly sarcastic, but figured it may be rude :rofl: yeah I know it usually doesn't stop me :rofl:

Well, when I grew in coco coir, I didn't add anything...except I had to water with cal-mag and small amounts of nutrients twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day depending on how root bound they were.
Those amendments aren't going to do shit, no offense.
You have 25 liters of coco coir mix, and only put a HALF a tbsp of Epsom salts :hmmmm: I use a full tbsp in a gallon to water my plants sometimes...okay I'm going to stop there :lot-o-toke:

I'm going to recommend that you set that coco aside and get some soil, like fox farms or something that's a full nutrient PH buffered soil, it's easier for noobs, cause this is nothing like fruits or veggies, trust me I do both besides my weed.
Otherwise you're going to constantly be asking what's wrong...most likely...
This is just my opinion!!....over a 14 year period of growing....noobs always want the hard way to learn :hmmmm:

But hey good luck with whatever you decide :thumb:

Welcome to the forum @Chris209 :welcome:

I was going to say something honestly sarcastic, but figured it may be rude :rofl: yeah I know it usually doesn't stop me :rofl:

Well, when I grew in coco coir, I didn't add anything...except I had to water with cal-mag and small amounts of nutrients twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day depending on how root bound they were.
Those amendments aren't going to do shit, no offense.
You have 25 liters of coco coir mix, and only put a HALF a tbsp of Epsom salts :hmmmm: I use a full tbsp in a gallon to water my plants sometimes...okay I'm going to stop there :lot-o-toke:

I'm going to recommend that you set that coco aside and get some soil, like fox farms or something that's a full nutrient PH buffered soil, it's easier for noobs, cause this is nothing like fruits or veggies, trust me I do both besides my weed.
Otherwise you're going to constantly be asking what's wrong...most likely...
This is just my opinion!!....over a 14 year period of growing....noobs always want the hard way to learn :hmmmm:

But hey good luck with whatever you decide :thumb:
Thanks, I'm a big boy, feel free to unleash the sarcasm. So if I go with the mix you recommend or one similar, I don't need nutes at all? There's enough in there for full grow?

I am going to make a suggestion @Chris209 , search the forum for LOS (living organic soil) and Hempy. They are 2 entirely different grow methods, both work great. LOS is a water only grow fro seedling to harvest, and Hempy is a fertilizer grow - type of hydroponics.

This is an LOS plant, in the ground, and only watered 4 times since June.

218F0F0D-3E95-48BB-9ED8-84C5C23FE033.jpeg

This is a Hempy grown plant, fed Mega Crop in a 14 gallon tote, and fed 3-4 gallons of feed daily.

791FC6B4-F167-496C-9530-799DB26BF786.jpeg

Decide “how” you want to grow first, then we can better help you with what you need :)

Thanks, I'm a big boy, feel free to unleash the sarcasm. So if I go with the mix you recommend or one similar, I don't need nutes at all? There's enough in there for full grow?
Yes, and No...it's possible but, I do recommend some form of nutrients. I use FFOF soil, 20 bucks for one and a half cubic foot bag (fox farms ocean forest) and Mega Crop almost 30 bucks for 630 gallons of nutrients...this is for my MMJ inside, not my fruits and veggies, they're in living organic soil outside :thumb:

I forgot to mention...if you do the coco route, you will need good PH & PPM pens, Liquid PH up-down, and twice or three times a day measuring PH and nutes, enough to feed how ever many plants you have, I use a gallon per plant minimum.

Now for the good news, if you decide to go soil :slide: when I water or feed my girls (in FFOF) I only use my tap water, and I DO NOT PH anything :thedoubletake: no need to, the fox farms soil does it for me, so I just saved money on pens and liquid PH up-down :high-five: not to mention the Mega Crop guarantees stable silica for strong roots, and a stable PH to feed your plants everything they need :thumb:
Just an example if you want to take a walk through my garden (in my sig)

Welcome Chris. I am also learning. I have been growing in coco and I loved it. I am now growing in a different environment where I can use soil and so I want to try it. I am overwhelmed by all of the options. Someone suggested going full on Hugelkultur. I look forward to seeing what you choose. Are you going to journal and share? :welcome:

Welcome Chris. I am also learning. I have been growing in coco and I loved it. I am now growing in a different environment where I can use soil and so I want to try it. I am overwhelmed by all of the options. Someone suggested going full on Hugelkultur. I look forward to seeing what you choose. Are you going to journal and share? :welcome:
Yes I will, I have opted for a soil mix.

If you've decided on soil I'd recommend at least 7 gallon FABRIC pots if you're going to bottle feed.
15+ gallon fabric pots if LOS with some compost and sprouted seed teas.
Inoculate with mycorrhizae.
Biobiz all-mix
It consists of 20% sphagnum peat moss, 35% garden peat, 10% high quality organic BioBizz Worm-Humus, 30% perlite and 5% BioBizz Pre-Mix.
I guess this is LOS?
7 Gallon is like 35ltr, for autos in a tent?
Wow, that is a big pot!

Biobiz all-mix
It consists of 20% sphagnum peat moss, 35% garden peat, 10% high quality organic BioBizz Worm-Humus, 30% perlite and 5% BioBizz Pre-Mix.
I guess this is LOS?
7 Gallon is like 35ltr, for autos in a tent?
Wow, that is a big pot!
That's not exactly what I'd consider LOS.

That's just soil and in 7 gallon fabric pots you'll need to bottle feed especially in flower.
LOS you basically grow soil and to effectively grow soil and have that soil contain enough energy within it to fully furnish a cannabis plant all the way to harvest you need at least a 15 gallon fabric pot even for a autoflower.

LOS I would stick to some form of a Clackamas Coots soil recipe in 15 gallon fabric pots.

You could do 7-10 gallon fabric pots and do a Super Soil mix in the bottom 1/3rd of the pot that's still somewhat considered a LOS.

I use 25 gallon fabric pots and do a true LOS No-till and I still feed a little bit.
I give them coconut water, aloe vera, comfrey peach fermented plant juice, Ferticell Algae and a Alfalfa Sprouted Seed Tea.
Then amend with Bokashi and Craft Blend couple times a month.

This thread has been moved to Frequently Asked Questions.

We work hard to make 420 Magazine as navigable as possible for members and guests so that information can be easily found. We also want to ensure that your own thread receives the most appropriate responses, views or support.

:Namaste:

I second the LOS route. Definitely takes a little more research and investment up front if you want to invest in all the dry amendments to build your soil, and has taken me a run or two to dial in my mix to the point i'm really happy with it, but it's easy and low maintenance through the grow and should last many runs without needing much attention! (Technically should get more fertile over time as all the minerals and long-term amendments break down!)

Like what others have said, you do want nice big pots to go that route. But I've gotten away with ~10gal pots that didn't really need any additional feeding aside from some CalMag in the form of fermented egg shells (I grow under led, so that was to be expected)

There are so many helpful and knowledgeable growers here on the site though, so however you decide to proceed, there is a huge wealth of information and assistance! Welcome to the party! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom