Hempy Headquarters

I used to water every day - even when I didn’t need to - but I have gotten lazy. By its nature, perlite provides plenty of air to the roots without having to bring it in by watering. So now it’s just about refreshing the reservoir when the plants are too small to empty it within 3 days.

When it gets to where you have to water every day, you will know that you can up-pot.
This brings up a good point that I've been debating amongst myself, i.e., perlite providing plenty of air to the roots.

Understanding of course that this wouldn't technically be "hempy", what I'm going back and forth on in my setup plan, is whether or not it would benefit the overall grow to install an air bubbler in the bottom of my hempy res. As you mentioned, perlite is already going to be doing a great job of this up top, I'm curious if anyone has experienced/witnessed real worth while benefits to adding just that much more air below?

If you want to add more fresh air, just water more often.
From my experience bubbling nutrient solutions, an airstone in the reservoir will tend to make the pH of the solution rise.
Ah, yes! See this was what I was hoping for, something I would not have thought of. It's been so long since I dabbled in hydro, completely dismissed the impact that CO2 dissolving in and reacting with the water has.

Thank you!

Finally got my "hempy"ish grow up and running! This first Blue Cindy isn't very happy she had to spend the last 4 weeks in a solo cup. I'll try and start a grow journal, but just wanted to drop in here with a teaser...

20210727_223939.jpg

Finally got my "hempy"ish grow up and running! This first Blue Cindy isn't very happy she had to spend the last 4 weeks in a solo cup. I'll try and start a grow journal, but just wanted to drop in here with a teaser...

20210727_223939.jpg
Nice clean setup with the tubes for drainage. How big are your tubs?

Nice clean setup with the tubes for drainage. How big are your tubs?
Thanks! Also tubes for top feeding, just haven't setup the automatic feed yet. With a roughly 12gal supply res and the condensate pump below, I should be able to get more than a few maintenance free days, in-between pH checkups.

They're 3 gal tubs supposedly. Normal buckets of any size would fit fine, but I snagged these oval/oblong ones for like $2 a piece, because I can line 3 up going the other direction (just have to drill holes on the ends) and they fit nice and snug in my stealth cabinet, perfect for a little mainline/sea of green.

Excellent - congrats! :thumb:

What are you feeding? I think I see signs of hunger.
Thanks for the kind words @FelipeBlu.

I'm trying out the Lucas/k.i.s.s/Maxibloom method, whichever of the 3 it is...

I believe you're right, she's definitely craving nutrients, but everytime I mix up the recommended dose (7g/gal) of Maxibloom, my EC is off the charts. Even with RO water and limiting it to only 5g/gal puts the EC at well over 2.0. that's not to mention that I still need to fit some CalMag in there.

So that, combined with the fact that she had a bit of a rough start (this is the seedling that was getting waterlogged in her hempy cup from using a coco coir starter puck), I've just been mixing up the full strength recipe of Maxibloom+CalMag and then diluting down the EC to match her condition.

I started at about 0.8 EC (400ppm) 2 weeks ago, and now she's taking it at about 1.4 EC (700+ppm). Not sure how much more I should push it, I've got a bad track record for misdiagnosing excesses as deficiencies.

Here's a closer pic of her, had to start a bit of foliar feeding last weekend once I noticed she was losing color.

20210727_214449.jpg

Thanks for the kind words @FelipeBlu.

I'm trying out the Lucas/k.i.s.s/Maxibloom method, whichever of the 3 it is...
!
I believe you're right, she's definitely craving nutrients, but everytime I mix up the recommended dose (7g/gal) of Maxibloom, my EC is off the charts. Even with RO water and limiting it to only 5g/gal puts the EC at well over 2.0. that's not to mention that I still need to fit some CalMag in there.

So that, combined with the fact that she had a bit of a rough start (this is the seedling that was getting waterlogged in her hempy cup from using a coco coir starter puck), I've just been mixing up the full strength recipe of Maxibloom+CalMag and then diluting down the EC to match her condition.

I started at about 0.8 EC (400ppm) 2 weeks ago, and now she's taking it at about 1.4 EC (700+ppm). Not sure how much more I should push it, I've got a bad track record for misdiagnosing excesses as deficiencies.

Here's a closer pic of her, had to start a bit of foliar feeding last weekend once I noticed she was losing color.

20210727_214449.jpg

Hey Rickle !

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I kinda lurk this thread. All kinds of great info in it.
Anyhow I wanted to compliment your setup! Also just a heads up....that clear line at the bottom might be an issue. I'm not sure since it's hempy....but my thoughts are it should be blacked out allowing zero light into it.

And I also wanted to drop this link for some reading on the Lucas method.

Your in great hands with Felipe, he's gotten some next level kind of results that I can only dream of!

Hey Rickle !

I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I kinda lurk this thread. All kinds of great info in it.
Anyhow I wanted to compliment your setup! Also just a heads up....that clear line at the bottom might be an issue. I'm not sure since it's hempy....but my thoughts are it should be blacked out allowing zero light into it.

And I also wanted to drop this link for some reading on the Lucas method.

Your in great hands with Felipe, he's gotten some next level kind of results that I can only dream of!
Hey! No worries, and thanks for the kind words and info link!

Yeah I ran out of black tubing, but figured that it'd be ok since it's the drain to waist line that's clear and feeding into the condensate pump. The top feed tubing though (coming out the back of the cabinet) is all black, just haven't gotten my other halo ring in yet to finish the automatic watering.

Wait! You’re using Maxibloom in early veg? From what I understand, it’s 5-15-14, meaning only 5% Nitrogen. No wonder she’s hungry even though your EC is too high!

I think you want to be using MaxiGro and be somewhere around 1.0 EC at this point.

Wait! You’re using Maxibloom in early veg? From what I understand, it’s 5-15-14, meaning only 5% Nitrogen. No wonder she’s hungry even though your EC is too high!

I think you want to be using MaxiGro and be somewhere around 1.0 EC at this point.
That's correct, Maxibloom only. My understanding (corroborated by the link that @Rexer just shared in their reply) is that Maxibloom can - and has been - successfully used from veg to harvest at approx 7g (dry) per gallon of RO water. Unless of course I missed something,which is entirely possible...

Here's an excerpt from the Lucas thread:

"GH MaxiBloom dry nutes
Lucas Formula using General Hydroponics Dry Nutrients (Maxibloom)

MaxiBloom and MaxiGro are dry nutrient also from General Hydroponics. It turns out, Maxibloom, used in a ratio of 7 grams per gallon of water*, is very close to the original Lucas Formula (above.) You do not need MaxiGro, and so this is the cheapest and easiest recipe to use.

Add 7 grams of Maxibloom into 1 gallon of water*, and then adjust the pH, and stir vigorously to dissolve the Maxibloom in the water. I advise putting the 7g of Maxibloom into a cup of warm water, dissolving it, and then adding it to the remaining gallon of water, before pH adjusting and mixing again."

To be honest, I don’t think very highly of that approach. And your experience is supporting that opinion.

Your plant is clearly hungry for Nitrogen and Maxibloom will not provide what it needs within a reasonable EC.

Good luck

To be honest, I don’t think very highly of that approach. And your experience is supporting that opinion.

Your plant is clearly hungry for Nitrogen and Maxibloom will not provide what it needs within a reasonable EC.

Good luck
Thanks for the feedback, that's what I was afraid of going into this.

Not sure how so many others have had such success with it, maybe it's really strain specific.

Not sure how so many others have had such success with it
Me neither. MaxiGro has a NPK ratio of 2-1-3, which is pretty well established for good vegetative growth. MaxiBloom is 1-~3-3, which is too much P and a N:K ratio that is close enough to result in lockout.

Hey! No worries, and thanks for the kind words and info link!

Yeah I ran out of black tubing, but figured that it'd be ok since it's the drain to waist line that's clear and feeding into the condensate pump. The top feed tubing though (coming out the back of the cabinet) is all black, just haven't gotten my other halo ring in yet to finish the automatic watering.

Might be ok then. But in a pinch, a roll of cheap electric or duct tape wrapping the tube can achieve the results.

Hey FelipeBlu

When it comes to NPK numbers, I get lost, for some reason it just flies right over- glossing my eyes in the process. That being said...you can use the Maxibloom throughout the entire grow, provided its done correctly (Lucas Formula).
That also being said, using the MaxiGro simplifies it, the only reason (guessing here) it's not part of the Lucas formula is to keep costs minimal.
If you get a chance, read over that link I posted...it'll probably make more sense to you then anything I can type.

I've done it using Maxibloom, though in my Lucas grow I started my plants using GH micro+Bloom, later when doing res changes I used the Maxibloom.

Your a much more experienced grower, and I'm only throwing this out there for conversation on the topic. As I agree with you, if the funds are available, the OP should get the MaxiGro and save some headaches.

@Dr Fish is still active on the forum and could probably explain it better then I, as I think he uses the Lucas approach fairly regularly?

And by the way @FelipeBlu - I loved your auto reveg journal!!!! Very inspirational!

Might be ok then. But in a pinch, a roll of cheap electric or duct tape wrapping the tube can achieve the results.

Hey FelipeBlu

When it comes to NPK numbers, I get lost, for some reason it just flies right over- glossing my eyes in the process. That being said...you can use the Maxibloom throughout the entire grow, provided its done correctly (Lucas Formula).
That also being said, using the MaxiGro simplifies it, the only reason (guessing here) it's not part of the Lucas formula is to keep costs minimal.
If you get a chance, read over that link I posted...it'll probably make more sense to you then anything I can type.

I've done it using Maxibloom, though in my Lucas grow I started my plants using GH micro+Bloom, later when doing res changes I used the Maxibloom.

Your a much more experienced grower, and I'm only throwing this out there for conversation on the topic. As I agree with you, if the funds are available, the OP should get the MaxiGro and save some headaches.

@Dr Fish is still active on the forum and could probably explain it better then I, as I think he uses the Lucas approach fairly regularly?

And by the way @FelipeBlu - I loved your auto reveg journal!!!! Very inspirational!

And thanks again for that link. I just wish it went into more detail, particularly in terms of EC at certain growing stages, aside from just the recommended 1/8-1/4 dose for the first few weeks.

Are the EC amounts typically standard for most MJ strains in their respective stages (e.g., germ, seedling, veg, preflowers, flower, ripening)? Like, does each stage have an "industry standard" EC range to target?

Like, does each stage have an "industry standard" EC range to target?
There might be standards that commercial growers follow, but since nutrition is so strain-dependent, an operation would probably stick with one strain, especially if they were fertigating with an injection system.

The best strategy is to keep your fertilizing a bit on the deficiency side and learn to read your plants’ needs. That being said, a good guide is presented on the MC website, and it goes something like:

Seedlings/early veg: 0.55 EC
Normal veg: up to 1.1 EC
Extended veg: up to 1.25

Bloom to harvest: 1.4 to 1.75

Back
Top Bottom