How are medical marijuana users interacting with doctors and therapists?

HighZenBerg

I'm a long-time marijuana enthusiast and I have used recreationally for much of my life. Quit for 16 years. Then resumed recreational use a year and a half ago. I have chronic (no pun intended) pain due to scoliosis and facet joint arthritis, I also suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety. Over that last year or so, I realized that both my pain and depression/anxiety were being managed really well with a combination of THC and CBD. I disclosed my marijuana use to both my primary care physician and my therapist. To my surprise, neither objected. I'm now working on doing the heavy lifting of trying to treat the underlying causes (regular light aerobic exercise, core strengthing excercises, and streatching to manage the arthritis and scoliosis; cognitive behavioral therapy and regular meditation to treat the depression and anxiety), in conjunction with managing the symptoms with marijuana and CBD. It's a lot of work and a lot of life changes all happening all at once. I was wondering if, in general, a more holistic approach like this is a common approach for medical marijuana users? How are other medical marijuana users putting together more holistic programs to manage pain and mood disorders?

I wish. I have VA health and disability for the rest of my life and the doc currently in charge of my meds is strongly against cannabis. I "think" they even tested my blood for it without getting my consent. Why do I believe this to be the case? Because I suddenly got a request for an appointment only days after a routine check up and Labs. I came in thinking I had a problem and was almost grilled about cannabis use and how it will be detrimental to my well being. They tried to indoctrinate me with there false facts about cannabis. That's the feds though... they actually believe their own bullshit.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any way for you to seek support outside of the VA system? I live in a very conservative state that is just bringing a medical marijuana system online in 2020. The main hospital system in the state authorized their physicians to issue letters to patients with qualifying conditions. The letters are a stop-gap measure, until the medical marijuana system comes online. The letter establishes that the patient is using medical marijuana under the supervision of a doctor. The state is basically agreeing not to arrest/prosecute patients with the letter acknowledging that partients will need to buy marijuana on the street or go out of state to purchase (purchase and possess illegally). I was really astonished at how readily both my doctor and my therapist accepted the idea as long as I was willing to also do the hard work. I think as long as you are seeking support within the federal system, and marijuana is illegal on the federal level, you are going to have a really hard time finding support. I hope you find some good support. It is helping me for sure. Keep looking!

I wish. I have VA health and disability for the rest of my life and the doc currently in charge of my meds is strongly against cannabis. I "think" they even tested my blood for it without getting my consent. Why do I believe this to be the case? Because I suddenly got a request for an appointment only days after a routine check up and Labs. I came in thinking I had a problem and was almost grilled about cannabis use and how it will be detrimental to my well being. They tried to indoctrinate me with there false facts about cannabis. That's the feds though... they actually believe their own bullshit.

Shit! I tried to post a reply to you and messed it up. I should not be trying to learn how to use this forum while buzzed! Anyway, my intend reply to you is in the thread. I hope you find some good support.

I am originally from Minnesota. I have family in the health care industry there.
The Mayo clinic has recently been putting their faculty through educational courses specifically revolving around cannabis.
I have been vocal to my doctors about my cannabis use since I was 17. I have only had one negative experience and it was with a very aged RN. My doctor is very pro-cannabis as is my phys. therapist.

My philosophy is if you don't like your doctor get a new one. I went through a few. I have anxiety so I need someone with a weird bedside manner to put me at ease.

I agree. My first therapist was not a good experience. Moved on immediately. The therapist I'm working with now is a good guy and we speak the same language and share similar philosophies. My general practitioner has always been supportive. I consider myself fortunate!

I already know the benifits, as I am reaping them. In fact, I just finished reaping them about 15 minutes ago. A big bowl of them brother! :rofl: The problem is that I am not doing it legally. I am a 100% disabled veteran. If I get the attention of the wrong people within the VA healthcare system, I stand a very real chance of losing all of my benifits. That would suck big time because I depend on my VA disability checks to survive. I am no longer able to work to provide for myself. I will probably be suckling from the government tit for the rest of my life and I'm not very happy about it. Basically, until they legalize cannabis at the federal level, I cannot approach my doctors about a maintenance dose or any of the benefits I am currently experiencing due to medicating with it. We are very lucky to have people here on the forums that are very knowledgeable on this topic. I have picked up a bit from them already. That said, thank you for your offer of information and support. It's the caring between members that makes this forum special and is the reason why 420 is the best cannabis forum out there. Keep it green my brothers and sisters!

Scott

I already know the benifits, as I am reaping them. In fact, I just finished reaping them about 15 minutes ago. A big bowl of them brother! :rofl: The problem is that I am not doing it legally. I am a 100% disabled veteran. If I get the attention of the wrong people within the VA healthcare system, I stand a very real chance of losing all of my benifits. That would suck big time because I depend on my VA disability checks to survive. I am no longer able to work to provide for myself. I will probably be suckling from the government tit for the rest of my life and I'm not very happy about it. Basically, until they legalize cannabis at the federal level, I cannot approach my doctors about a maintenance dose or any of the benefits I am currently experiencing due to medicating with it. We are very lucky to have people here on the forums that are very knowledgeable on this topic. I have picked up a bit from them already. That said, thank you for your offer of information and support. It's the caring between members that makes this forum special and is the reason why 420 is the best cannabis forum out there. Keep it green my brothers and sisters!

Scott
Sorry man. That’s a shitty situation.

I haven't said a word to any doctor and doubt that I ever will.
Not only do I not want to find out that my doctor that iam trusting with my life is some nutbag, the main reason is that 99.8% of every doctor out there literally knows less than nothing about the endocannabinoid system so you may as well get an opinion from just a random person at the mall for what good it will do you.
Only way I would ever discuss cannabis with any doctor would be if I ever were to get cancer I would find a doctor in a legal state that specializes in cannabis medication for cancer.
And if this ever happens my wife and I both plan to only use cannabis oil instead of chemotherapy.
Same with our dog.

And btw both my wife and I already use cannabis medicinally.
I use it to lower my blood pressure which it does perfectly, and for minor aches and pains.
My wife has had Fibromyalgia for over 25 years, she used to take several opioids a day plus about 6 tylenol and it might take her pain from a 7 to 8 down to a 4 to 5, it just lessened it a bit.
For the past 5 years she has been completely off of opioids altogether.
And her pain now is more like a 0 to a 2.
I dont know what telling the doctor would do one way or the other because I honestly dont care what they have to say about it, wont make any difference whatsoever in our use of cannabis.
I know what it does, how it does it, what cultivars are needed and that it works beautifully with zero bad side effects.

If my cancer ever returns... I will be doing the same. Just watch it with your dog. You may already be aware of this, but they(dogs) have many more cannabinoid receptors than we do. My dog got into a couple grams last year when a friend left/forgot some on the table. My dog was unresponsive for about 5 hours. He shit and pissed himself while he was out. He barely recognized me when he finally woke up. He was lethargic for a couple days before he fully regained his senses. My dog is almost 75 lbs, so he is not a little thing either. If you already knew this, just disregard. Take care and keep it green.

My docs provide no input on my use at this time. They are aware of my use so that it be considered along with doing the work required to manage the cause of my physical pain and factored into the work I’m doing with my therapist to deal with my depression and anxiety. If I did not trust them with this kind of information I would not be working with them in the first place.

If my cancer ever returns... I will be doing the same. Just watch it with your dog. You may already be aware of this, but they(dogs) have many more cannabinoid receptors than we do. My dog got into a couple grams last year when a friend left/forgot some on the table. My dog was unresponsive for about 5 hours. He shit and pissed himself while he was out. He barely recognized me when he finally woke up. He was lethargic for a couple days before he fully regained his senses. My dog is almost 75 lbs, so he is not a little thing either. If you already knew this, just disregard. Take care and keep it green.
I only use a drop (4mg) of CBD oil per day for her.
Shes a Chihuahua of 13# shes not fat either, mostly just muscular.
We call her a ChiBull or Great Chihuahua
9+ years old and doing great so far.

She got bitten by a Copperhead a few years ago on her back foot.
Her leg swelled up and got a big sack of fluid that bulged up on her belly and she was in severe pain.
Took her to vet they gave her a big dose of Benadryl, gave us some pain meds which didn't seem to do much if anything.
Took her home and I decided to go find some CBD treats for her, she ate one treat and in 20 minutes she actually got up herself and jumped off the couch and wanted to go pee as the pain seemed to go away and the swelling started going down.
Been on CBD ever since just as maintenance and hopefully preventative of anything bad.

20190826_223659.jpg

I'm in a similar boat, though not 100% Serv Con (40%). VA Doc, and even though our system is not them prescribing, but only certifying you have one of the listed conditions, they still won't sign. There's a clinic here specifically for doctor certification, but they want proof. All I can get my hands on to show them is a copy of an MRI, as well as evidence of direct deposit of my VA Comp & Pension. Hopefully that's enough, as I would hate to blow their "exam" fee for nothing. (Green Health Docs is the doctors office. It's a chain.)

I guess I could find a doc out in town, but I really don't want to go through all of that crap again. They're first answer is going to be pills and shots, combined with physical therapy. Been there, done that. Still do the PT stretches, but absolutely will not take those pills. All those arthritis drugs you see on the lawsuit commercials? Been on them all. When I got out of the service, I just quit taking them. That was 12 years ago. Since then I've handled it myself, and pretty well I might add. I don't overdo it, but take just enough as needed. Sometimes I forego a bit just to keep the tolerance in check. ;)

So hoping what little documentation I can scrounge up will be enough to satisfy these docs and get my card.

Back
Top Bottom