How many Mason Jars?

JWPcinders

Hello, when it comes to curing my crop this year I am going to use half gallon mason jars. Does anybody know how much I can put in each one? I am expecting between 2-3 pounds maybe more from my crop. How many jars will I need? Also how does this price seem for half gallon jars? Will come to about $6 a jar. Thanks

6BB20EB9-290F-4250-AF4B-14C5B3B3351E.pngC94B5799-518B-4E9E-A1F6-9DF6FE495ADD.png

Im thinkin I would need far too many quart jars haha

i figured. hence the cheap ... :p
i think you can buy gamma lids alone if you have to go that route. then just get your own 5 gallon buckets where you like.

I am using them for curing so I will have to open them daily . But 1 gallon jars will hold a half pound?

depends on bud density and how much you pack in. i stuff the smaller jars tight, but there should be a bit of air room really. i don't care how they look coming out of the jars either, that can be a consideration for some.

depends on bud density and how much you pack in. i stuff the smaller jars tight, but there should be a bit of air room really. i don't care how they look coming out of the jars either, that can be a consideration for some.
For sure! I like the bucket ides but this is my first time and if I mess it up huuge loss there haha!

Hey JW, being your first time, you might want to consider getting some of these humidity meters and Boveda packs

image.jpg

They will make your cure easier. When you jar them up, put the humidity meter and pack in the jar as well. Check them daily and if the meter reads over 65%, open the lid for an hour and then close it and put back in a dark place. Once the humidity drops below 65% for a 24hr period, then you can store it away until you want it and no risk of mould.

The humidity packs are not essential, but help and maintain a stable humidity for long term storage :)

The meters are cheap on Amazon, bout $10 for 6 or 8 of them, I forget what I paid :rofl:

Hey JW, being your first time, you might want to consider getting some of these humidity meters and Boveda packs

image.jpg

They will make your cure easier. When you jar them up, put the humidity meter and pack in the jar as well. Check them daily and if the meter reads over 65%, open the lid for an hour and then close it and put back in a dark place. Once the humidity drops below 65% for a 24hr period, then you can store it away until you want it and no risk of mould.

The humidity packs are not essential, but help and maintain a stable humidity for long term storage :)

The meters are cheap on Amazon, bout $10 for 6 or 8 of them, I forget what I paid :rofl:
This is exactly what I am going to do, do you put the bovedas in straight away or after the humidity had settled?

I put mine in at the time I bottle my bud. I typically dry in an environment that has about 55% RH and temps about 55-60F and leave them about 10 days in drying racks, sometimes if I don’t have a indoor grow going, they may stay in the racks for a month, especially trim and small bud I intend to make oil out of. They will even cure in the rack at those temps and RH.

After bottling, I check the RH in the jars daily until I see it stay below 65%, if it jumps over 70% in the first 24hrs, I will pull the bud out and dry it for a few more days in the racks.

BTW, when you get the RH stabilized below 65%, if you can stay out of the jar for at least a month, the difference is amazing. I am smoking the last of my last indoor harvest now, must be 3 months or more, and the bud is awesome after that long :)

I put mine in at the time I bottle my bud. I typically dry in an environment that has about 55% RH and temps about 55-60C and leave them about 10 days in drying racks, sometimes if I don’t have a indoor grow going, they may stay in the racks for a month, especially trim and small bud I intend to make oil out of. They will even cure in the rack at those temps and RH.

After bottling, I check the RH in the jars daily until I see it stay below 65%, if it jumps over 70% in the first 24hrs, I will pull the bud out and dry it for a few more days in the racks.

BTW, when you get the RH stabilized below 65%, if you can stay out of the jar for at least a month, the difference is amazing. I am smoking the last of my last indoor harvest now, must be 3 months or more, and the bud is awesome after that long :)
Gotcha! I am going to be drying in my gaming room in the basement haha. It sits between 59-61 % RH. Just going to put a big fan outside the room blowing air into the room and another fan by the door higher blowing air out

Gotcha! I am going to be drying in my gaming room in the basement haha. It sits between 59-61 % RH. Just going to put a big fan outside the room blowing air into the room and another fan by the door higher blowing air out
Just don't let the fans blow directly on the buds, as it will dry them out to fast. I also get 2 ounces per quart jar unless I have big buds I don't want to squish, then less than 2 ounces...

Back
Top Bottom