How many methods of growing have you tried?

Jozo-sha

Just out of a meandering mind spurred on by some SAGE hash, I got curious about how fellow growers arrived at the style and method of growing they use now...

I started out in an AeroGarden (shallow water culture), moved to homemade DWC, then purchased DWC, tinkered with a drip ring system, and now am trying coco/perlite and hempy.

I've never grown in soil at all. And all the above has been over the span of only 4 grows!

How many different methods have you tried? How many different methods did you try before finding "the one" that worked for you?

I haven't found "the one" or I should say... I haven't found "just one way"... I plan on being great at a few ways! (may sound pompous but, it's my mindset in this thing)

I have always grown outdoors... since the late 70's anyhow. I am just now setting up and learning indo growing. By that I mean Hydroponics, I will start there... master the recipe that I am learning and then... put my spin on it from there... hopefully!

Anyways, I guess that puts me behind the curve as for knowledge of multiple grow disciplines.

So... I suppose for now... 2 is my number... peace out!

Hey Captain I dont think that's pompous one bit Bro... I carry the same mindset into every new growing venture. In fact I dont know any other way but to swing for the fences.
So with that I've tried all of these techniques before I found my happy place. I've also include a brief opinion on each of them....

Ebb & Flow~ Flood table style system. Awesome and ez but has limitations

Ebb & Gro ~ The big CAP system. Great hauls but hell on pumps. 55 gallons of nute solution every week gets very expensive too

Soil indoors & outdoors ~For as long as I grow I'll always do outdoor organics.

Passive Hydro w/ Coco ~ This is what I run now and is perfect for me, no need to look at anything else from here on out. My system is a quasi hempy thing

Aeroponics~ I've done three different types and did'nt like any. Too much maintence but the results are great. They can also go South in a hurry too.

DWC~ I have a very low opinion on dwc. The bucket style system is ok but imo dwc is like taking the longest and most difficult road possible. It's like driving from point a to b which is only 5 miles but you decide to take a route that's 20 miles out of the way, the road is full of potholes, and there's gridlock traffic. I know a lot of peeps swear by it but I've never seen any end results that make all the hassles worth it.
:peacetwo:

Out door for 15 years or so on a regular basis, 25 years on and off. 2 years ago decided to do indoor soil over the winter, changed to DWC this winter.

Talking about aerogrow, I stole one of my wifes aero 200 pros a couple of years ago for seedlings to go outside. When I started indoor I put a bubbler in it on top of the built in drip it uses for my clones. Works fantastic.

WillyB

I am like willing to try something new I did 3 grows with ebb and flo system that did really good big fat buds indoors .
Then when summer started I went to out side but had to put them in a enclosed green house with shade cloth on top had to because of the nieghbors they got evicted it did really good also had 4 kinds in there they did good on the tops because of the light situation.
just finished a soil indoors that was started in mid october had a bad batch of soil and had ph problems and still do but they are done there willl not be a lot but it is so stinky that as soon as you open the door you smell them.
The next one will be in 4" tees with a piece of pipe between them will run them lateraily in patern of 5x4x5 so there is no open hole in the middle and as the plants grow I can seperate the pipes for more room. the grow room is 6'9" X3'9" 1600 watts of light.

new_hydro_2-11_006.jpg

layed on ground
and this is what i am waiting for

10-10-10_indoor_067.jpg

lifesaver, blue dreams, mendoos,kushsage not doing as good as the others.

2 so far, I grew a mystery strain in soil, was told it was WW but not which so I say mystery. Now I'm on to nirvanas blackberry in DWC. I agree with Bandit 100% The system works well and all but why not go the simple route for the same results. Also just built an aero-cloner, anxious to get my next grow started so I can test it out. I cannot wait to try coco/perlite hempys. Everyone loves coco so much I want to try it out and maybe it will stick. I'm watching your journal too zombo, to get my plan down before I start buying a bunch of supplies! :popcorn::nicethread::reading420magazine::peacetwo:

After extreme experience in hydro (clean) i am back to what god put down here for plants to grow in...... soil.

I like the fact that with soil, you can neglect for days with no problems, you can water and then forget it. Downside is soil provides a great place for bugs.... so you have to add a regime of pest control tot he grow.

I have a buddy that does top down drip 24/7 in hydrocorton, and he hasn't used pestixcides in years, but every grow requires a week of bleach cleaning and there are no visits to the gR without going cleanroom status. He likes to come home from work, strip down buck naked, the spend a few hours gardening before we go drinking. lol

When i said, why not get a clean room lab jacket, he said the ladies prefer him naked in there.

I know i had to send McCrakin some rep for that one!! Too freakin' funny!!

:high-five::rofl::rofl::rofl::blunt:

I also love the part about neglect...Last year I totally forgot about a White Widow I had stashed out in some tall grass. I forgot about her for almost two months only to find her ready for the pickin' with about 2 oz on a three foot tall plant :grinjoint:

After extreme experience in hydro (clean) i am back to what god put down here for plants to grow in...... soil.

I like the fact that with soil, you can neglect for days with no problems, you can water and then forget it. Downside is soil provides a great place for bugs.... so you have to add a regime of pest control tot he grow.

I have a buddy that does top down drip 24/7 in hydrocorton, and he hasn't used pestixcides in years, but every grow requires a week of bleach cleaning and there are no visits to the gR without going cleanroom status. He likes to come home from work, strip down buck naked, the spend a few hours gardening before we go drinking. lol

When i said, why not get a clean room lab jacket, he said the ladies prefer him naked in there.

Glad to hear I'm not the only naked gardener! Dirt! Aero sounds fun, but too expensive for my income.

Many moons ago, 25 years or so, did some outdoor grow from bag seed and a few half a__ed attempts at indoor under 4ft fluors. Decent results.

A few years back i experimented with some hydros outside growing peppers and tomatoes. DWC, Flood & Drain, and Wicks. All worked reasonably well considering fighting the outdoor elements for hydro. Figured I might need the practice when growing some ladies one day.

Well the first recent indoor grow was basic cheap soil. Peters ferts and bag seed. Good plants, average smoke.

Then took a shot at hempy buckets. Nirvana Northern Light. Turned out really good. Nice yield and B+ smoke, everyone I have turned on to it loves it. Fairly simple too. Northern Light Finally Picked 18th Week

Current grow, good mix of a few different quality soils, CRF's and a few other additives. Hash Hounds Nirvana Super Skunk & Papaya in Soil (most recent pics on the second page).
Plants are in 7th and 6th week 12/12 from seed (another experiment) and doing fantastic. Not much work once set up. Just add water. When flowering began last week, started adding supplemental nutes and Snow Storm.
All good genetic seeds (I hope) Nirvana Papaya and a Super Skunk, Barneys Farm Vanilla Kush, Reserva Privada Kandy Kush and Dutch Passion White Widow.
I can't wait to try the results.

I only grow for head stash. I smoke very little and don't wanna get involved in supporting cartels, or seeing my money leaving the good old USA, or where ever the money ends up these days.

wow, that pipe will take a load.... better bring some oxygen when you get done with that bowl..:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom