How many strains?

Jackalope

Anyone that has followed any of my journals knows I love to grow different strains. Even back when I first started I always grew 3 or 4 strains. I have not grown every year since then. Lots of them though. That got me thinking. How many strains have I grown? Lots of grows have something I had grown before. All had new strains. I am now growing 10 to 14 strains a year. That's for the last 5 years. Some years more than that.

I really need to go back and try and count them up. Then keep a running track of the new ones I grow. I don't know that it will ever matter for anything. It will be fun to track though. At one time I wanted to grow them all. That could never happen in this day in age. There is just to damn many. As it sits now I would expect I am over 100 strains. Bag seed would be considered though I didn't grow much of it over the years.

My one question to myself. Will I make it to 1000?

I mention this not to brag. More to entice interest. I can not stress enough not to mother up with a couple of plants and leave it at that. There are so many great strains out there. You would be missing out. It is not just the different smells and flavors. The highs from all these strains are different too.

I’ve been growing for just under 2 years now and sit at 40 different strains grown/growing. I usually do 8 plants in my small 4x4 tent but I need variety as not everyone is a winner with me for my needs. Thankfully they tend to work for other family members at home. I have found a few strains that I enjoyed and have grown twice already from seed like Black Domina, Critical Orange Punch(Photo/Auto) and to my current 2nd try of Do-Si-Dos. So I’m in the search of the strains I will love/like to grow again and again. just gotta find the room to crack a few eggs along the way to find my way

Jamaican has the distinction of being my favorite import of all time. I have had some great Thai a wonderful Hawaiian and a couple other memorable strains along the way. The best weed of them all was some rusty red colored smash weed from Jamaica. Not in flavor. I don't remember what it tasted like. The effects were what made it stand out.

I smoked half a joint with the person that I got it from. grabbed my shoes and socks and started getting ready to visit a friend. 45 minutes later. There I sat with one sock on, the other in my hand. Spacey ass shit lol. I totally forgot what I was doing LMAO. In my deference there was a tv to stare at.

When I went to Jamaica, I got my hands on two different strains...one was just some good lime green buds but nothing special. The second though... my lord, to this day I still haven’t found a strain that good. Very odd looking stuff too, fluffy buds that were drenched in trichomes but what set it apart was that it was dark brown... I figured that had something to do with the way they dried and cured the buds. Who knows, but it was the BOMB. The guy I got it from told me it was grown high up on the mountains, so maybe that had something to do with the potency. Only reason I say that is because anyone that has been to Jamaica will tell you that Blue Mountain Coffee is some of the best in the world and it’s grown on the highest peaks in Jamaica so maybe there’s something to it. I agree with you though, I love having a huge variety of strains because they all have their own distinct effects. I usually grow atleast 6 different strains every grow, last grow I had 9 different strains and I love having the variety. It’s great having a strain for every occasion/time/mood... black domina is my favorite night time smoke hands down, if I smoke a bowl of that I’m out cold and sleep good through the whole night.

When I went to Jamaica my first time, we rented a small villa, and the owner picked us up at the airport. I mentioned that I wanted some smoke, and on the way from the airport, he took us up into the Blue Mountains. We stopped at a small shack, and several Rastas were there. They took me behind the shack, gave me a spliff, and I flew over Jamaica for 10 days! Talk about shit faced!!! I had a hard time counting money to pay for the weed.

I think this is going to be a great thread @Jackalope. I'm just a new grower and I find myself spending hours looking through the strains available and adding them to my cart. I end up with hundreds of dollars worth of seed in my cart that I probably wouldn't ever have time to grow in this lifetime.

I have found a few strains that I enjoyed and have grown twice already from seed like Black Domina, Critical Orange Punch(Photo/Auto) and to my current 2nd try of Do-Si-Dos. So I’m in the search of the strains I will love/like to grow again and again. just gotta find the room to crack a few eggs along the way to find my way

How does the Critical Orange Punch smoke @EhCndGrower? I got some beans of the photo that are currently a starter for my next round. I ordered these ones after seeing Rows of Green grow them on Youtube

How does the Critical Orange Punch smoke @EhCndGrower? I got some beans of the photo that are currently a starter for my next round. I ordered these ones after seeing Rows of Green grow them on Youtube

Love the strain and find it has a pretty strong Indica effect on. Very calming body high, too much equals heavy eyes/sleepiness, and amazing on inflammation. It was by luck I screwed up my 2nd tent grow and had to start from scratch and decided to throw the freebie I got from Seedsman 2018 Halloween bundle. Then I found a deal for them but in auto form and jumped at the chance to buy them. Auto grew nicely and got about 84g dried in the end (my best auto result Of the 6 plants I’ve grown) I suck at describing flavour but I guess a strong citrus and a little gassy taste/smell is how I would describe it. Highly suggest popping a bean when you can

BubblinBuds. The dealer I got the nasty red looking Jamaican from had some green Jamaican a few months later. It wasn't near as good as the dry red stuff. Weird huh. What was REALLY weird. The Green stuff was smashed too. Or compressed anyway. It came in a 2" x 4" block about a 1/2" thick. That was how a ounce was packaged. It had the consistency as a plug of tobacco.

I should mention. Lots of the stuff I have grown needs to be regrown. I grew Bubblisious a few grows back. I still need to grow TH Seeds Bubble Gum. I made the mistake early on of thinking that copies were almost as good as the original's. That is not always the case.

To tell the truth. I still think people should grow lots of strains. I don't suggest doing it with copied strains. To truly judge a strain you need to get its best representation. That is going to cost more.

Ya they got some secret magic going on in Jamaica lol whatever it is makes for some killer smoke out of some the least suspecting looking buds it seems to. Ya I grow these varieties but I make sure to keep a few seeds of each strain on hand for when I find one of those “wow” strains, I’ll mark it in my notebook so I know to grow it again. I just grew berry bomb from thcBomb seeds and it’s a great smoke, Ill bet there bubblegum is delicious. I agree with you completely.

The last dozen or so years, I grew only in my greenhouse. Getting a few pounds each from 4 plants gave me more than enough for a year. I joined here a year ago, and was inspired by my readings to give indoors a try again, using new genetics, and methodology I had read about here. You guys saved my life, as last year's greenhouse crop was a dud because of an early October hard freeze. My indoor crop was a lifesaver. Anyway, it is nice to have several strains to choose from. I'm likin' Royal Cookies right now and on my third cycle with that strain. Greenhouse gets Blue Cheese, Royal Gorilla, Bad Azz Kush and Watermelon Skittlez this year, and in bloom right now I have Dr Grinspoon, Royal Cookies, Critical and White Widow. Just planted 2 free Strawberry Shortcake autos that I got for free from Seedsman. My first autos. Variety may be the "Spice of Life"!

I got nothing on those 2. You are right it is probably a good place to ask LMAO.

Freebies have been good to me at times. especially if they are from "Known" breeders. I have had a couple surprises along they way with them.

My biggest surprise was a freebie from Greenhouse seeds. Or that is what it said on the baggie. Since some freebies are not in breeder packs you just never know. The seed I was talking about was labeled Super Lemon Haze. I have grown the strain before and know a little about it. What grew had indica traits and smelled like Juicy Fruit. I know for sure it wasn't SLH. What it was, was killer I called it Mystery Plant. Because it was supposed to be SLH I pollinated it with a Jacks Cleaner 2 male. I have been wanting a good lemon strain. I got seeds and they are not Lemon LMAO. Those seeds became Mystery Cleaner.

Mystery Cleaner has been grown out and has great reviews so far. It grew well and smokes great. All from one freebie seed!

I keep a journal and a running tally of all the strains I've grown, in 17 years of growing I've grown 163 strains, I have actually not been trying as many new strains lately just out of budget and space constraints (moved from where I had 40+acres to grow on, to where I'm not allowed to grow outdoors). I used to just order two dozen or so different strains and sow them straight into compost enriched soil and let them go. What a change indoor growing is, so many more variables, but less pests!

The last dozen or so years, I grew only in my greenhouse. Getting a few pounds each from 4 plants gave me more than enough for a year. I joined here a year ago, and was inspired by my readings to give indoors a try again, using new genetics, and methodology I had read about here. You guys saved my life, as last year's greenhouse crop was a dud because of an early October hard freeze. My indoor crop was a lifesaver. Anyway, it is nice to have several strains to choose from. I'm likin' Royal Cookies right now and on my third cycle with that strain. Greenhouse gets Blue Cheese, Royal Gorilla, Bad Azz Kush and Watermelon Skittlez this year, and in bloom right now I have Dr Grinspoon, Royal Cookies, Critical and White Widow. Just planted 2 free Strawberry Shortcake autos that I got for free from Seedsman. My first autos. Variety may be the "Spice of Life"!
Do you have a journal running on the grinspoon? I’ve been curious about that strain for awhile, it looks wicked lol

Since I started growing I always run 4 different strains 1ea in my 4x4. I think it's amazing to be able try different stuff all the time. For me it's about the high. They are all different. I give away most of what I grow. It's interesting to see what others think about different strains. I have my preferences and other people have theirs.

When I was young we smoked what we could get and a lot of it was not that good. To be able to look through a catalog and pick out what you want to grow is way beyond what I ever thought was possible. The problem with it is that you get picky and turn into sort of a bit of a weed snob. LOL

This last grow i did my first repeat strain of Trainwreck because I liked it when I first grew it. Because my growing skills and lighting have dramaticly improved since the first time the yeild is going to be 4 fold what it was the first time and I am betting the potency will be better as well. That makes me wonder about regrowing some of the stuff I liked in the past to see if I can grow it better the next time but I keep searching for the unicorn strain that checks all the boxes. first world problems.

My indoor crop was a lifesaver. Anyway, it is nice to have several strains to choose from. I'm likin' Royal Cookies right now and on my third cycle with that strain. Greenhouse gets Blue Cheese, Royal Gorilla, Bad Azz Kush and Watermelon Skittlez this year, and in bloom right now I have Dr Grinspoon, Royal Cookies, Critical and White Widow. Just planted 2 free Strawberry Shortcake autos that I got for free from Seedsman. My first autos. Variety may be the "Spice of Life"!
I'm going to take a look at your Dr Grinpoon grow journal too, it sounds an intriguing strain. Cheers

Samsmith. Production should increase for the same reasons you mentioned. Will the smoke be better is a toss up. Phenotype has a lot to do with that. It will affect production too, like you said you grow better so that will reflected the outcome.

I do have to mention. Finding that unicorn strain is getting harder all the time. Like you mentioned. After a while we become pot snobs. The bar just keeps going up before we reach it LOL.

Back
Top Bottom