Humidifier maintenance

What is your go to method for maintaining your humidifiers? I have 2 and hard water. At least once a week I have to take the humidifiers apart, wipe them down, run a vinegar solution through the system for 15 minutes then purge it and fill it with water. Even still I’m dealing with scale build up that doesn’t want to come off very easily at all.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for minimizing their maintenance time and effort? Or is this just one of those things we all have to deal with?

Adding a little Citric might help to reduce/remove the scale
Water is so hard here I have to filter it before it goes into the kettle [or humidifier] or it gets caked within weeks

This is a great idea! I’ve thought about using my RO water to fill them but the flow rate from the faucet is low. I was considering just filling a few buckets so I have it on hand but a little citric is even less work. I’ll give it a shot on the next refill.

I use a cleaner called CLR(calcium,lime,rust). I soak the element in it for a couple hours then use a screwdriver to scrape the rest off. The element went from being 100% covered to maybe 5-10% scaling left afterwards.

I use a cleaner called CLR(calcium,lime,rust). I soak the element in it for a couple hours then use a screwdriver to scrape the rest off. The element went from being 100% covered to maybe 5-10% scaling left afterwards.

Do you soak it in pure CLR or dilute it?

using RO will definitely help keep it down if you can source enough. CLR is a great cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom