"Hydro VS Soil" Which do you prefer?

Ritter

This is my 1st post here , So I have a few -Newbie- questions about the differences between Hyrdo & soil , I mean , I know people stand by Hydro and will not do it another way. Then there are folks that have great results with soil and will never do hydro?
So if a few of you could fill me in on the pluses and negatives of each I would really appreciate it. I want to give Bubblephonics a whirl but am having a hard a hard time deciding. & also If any of you have a great all around strain for the newbie grower that would be great..
Thanks
Ritter:rollit:

Re: "Hydro VS Soil" Which do you prefer??

This is my 1st post here , So I have a few -Newbie- questions about the differences between Hyrdo & soil , I mean , I know people stand by Hydro and will not do it another way. Then there are folks that have great results with soil and will never do hydro?
So if a few of you could fill me in on the pluses and negatives of each I would really appreciate it. I want to give Bubblephonics a whirl but am having a hard a hard time deciding. & also If any of you have a great all around strain for the newbie grower that would be great..
Thanks
Ritter:rollit:

Disclaimer: This is personal opinion and personal experience!

Hydroponics:
Pros:
Faster growth!!!
Can keep grows on top of carpets
less space requirements
Also...faster growth!!!

Cons:
Everything moves fast, problems arise fast, ph can change fast
higher setup costs
part failures cant cause plant death rapidly

Soil:
Pros:
Soil provides natural buffer to ph changes and nutrient defenciency
only need to water every few days
no moving parts!
Some say that it tastes better while most cant tell a difference

Cons:
Dirty!!!
Slower growth
size restricted by pot size
takes up alot of space
many people over water.

Conclusion: I went with a hydro grow my first try not following any guides just going off a few videos and I failed. 2nd go around I joined the Deep Water Culture and followed Roseman's DIY tutorial (Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY) religiously and have had great results! IMO grow hydro if you will have the time to check on your plants AT LEAST 1 time a day and can stay on top of the ball with deficiencies and PH.

There is plenty of more material on pros and cons on this website and elsewhere...just be patient and look around

Whatever you choose..Goodluck

after transplanting four 2' plants from 2.5gl to 5gl pots and eight seedlings from 16oz cups to 2.5gl pots, i am going to start putting together a hydro system. i'm using ocean forest and mixing in some perlite, super dusty, just plain dirty, a pain to dispose of, a pain to haul around, and a pain to move pots around.

i can't say hydro is gonna be less of a pain, but i know i'm not going to get dirt and dust all over the place. one more thing, although i only have a 4x4 tent, watering really is a chore. if the plant wasn't such a good friend of mine, it wouldn't be worth all of the effort.

i guess the funniest part is the fact that this is only the second flowering cycle i've done and i'm soooo over the dirt thing. soon i'll get my water wings and jump into the hydro pool.:surf:

Yeah , I've only grown with soil myself I DO hate the mess it creates , But hey , can't complain one bit when its done.
I've been checkin out Rosemans Deep Water Culture thread , think I'm gonna give that a go , Plus I just ordered another 600watt Hps/MH Lamp so I think I'll be in good shape after a little trial and error. I think Im gonna go with the scrog grow looks very promising , I need a good scrog strain so Im not to sure what to get

I like them both and I do both.

Yeah? Is there any diffrence in taste with the bub buds?
Love your avitar by the way!
Captain spalding is the best, wish rob zombie would make another movie with those same charecters in it t.

Yeah? Is there any diffrence in taste with the bub buds?
Love your avitar by the way!
Captain spalding is the best, wish rob zombie would make another movie with those same charecters in it t.

yes there is a different taste...soil is richer and thicker.

I like them both and I do both.

as do I.

They both have their place.

My soil stays outside. Hydro for indoors.

Speed of growth in hydro is awesome.

Guess I can't fairly compare, since my soil is outdoors.

Some people find it easier to dispose of used nute water vs. used soil. Some have no problem. All depends.

The pro's and cons are endles. Most based off personal opinion, and many factors change from place to place, grower to grower.

You can Google this exact question and have endless things to read.

To me, sounds like you want to do hydro, the SH Deep Water Culture, but maybe a little timid? I can fully understand there. I was the same way. But if you take the time to learn, to do some research, and never be afraid to ask for help, you'll have a successful grow. I wish I would have been doing more hydro earlier. Helps keep a steady supply of meds when outdoor season is over.

My 2 cents anyway.

as do I.

They both have their place.

My soil stays outside. Hydro for indoors.

Speed of growth in hydro is awesome.

Guess I can't fairly compare, since my soil is outdoors.

Some people find it easier to dispose of used nute water vs. used soil. Some have no problem. All depends.

The pro's and cons are endles. Most based off personal opinion, and many factors change from place to place, grower to grower.

You can Google this exact question and have endless things to read.

To me, sounds like you want to do hydro, the SH Deep Water Culture, but maybe a little timid? I can fully understand there. I was the same way. But if you take the time to learn, to do some research, and never be afraid to ask for help, you'll have a successful grow. I wish I would have been doing more hydro earlier. Helps keep a steady supply of meds when outdoor season is over.

My 2 cents anyway.
I am SUPER timid... I have a good thing going with soil , But I need to expand.. I'm definetly one to follow directions to the t , so I should be ok?
I want to do DWC but I think Deep Water Culture is a little more productive.
thanx for your help man + REP
Ritter:thumb:

I am SUPER timid... I have a good thing going with soil , But I need to expand.. I'm definetly one to follow directions to the t , so I should be ok?

DWC/Bubbles are a great way to get started.

haha I knew it! No worries man, I was in your same shoes. Come from two hippy parents and have been growing cannabis since I can remember, but always outdoors under the sun with soil and not much else.

Long story short, some buddies pointed me towards DWC to ease into hydro. Stumbled upon Roseman and his method of choice, the Stealth Hydro tote. Did as much reading as I could. Already have lots of books and reading material at home, so that helped. After awhile, made the plunge! Been awesome ever since. There is a learning curve. It is different then soil grows. But if you can stick with it, its a fun way to grow. What made me feel alright was talking to Roseman and the guys (before they were known as "Deep Water Culture). The guys gave me plenty of confidence and help along the way. Just read, read, read and never stop trying to learn. Always something new to know!

And fwiw I tried straigh DWC for the first time. I start from clone in the Stealth Hydro tote. This last time used no feeder lines. It worked out fine for me. Growth did seem a little slow at first, but I'll reserve judgment just yet. Too many factors to say for sure.

You thinking about building your own DWC bucket or tote? Or buying a "kit" from a place like Stealth Hydro? I went with the kit. Like you, I was just timid and worried I wouldn't put it together right, or miss a critical part. Just made me feel better I suppose. Ships fast, all together as a kit, almost plug and play. Makes things quick and easy.

Now that I've had a couple grows, and time to play with these setups, I wouldn't think twice about building my own. Recently had to as my original tote was used and abused. Its cake and can help you save money. Either way works, just depends on you and whatcha want. We can direct you to online sources and local shops to get what you need if you go this route.

Sorry, I tend to be long winded when baked. :ganjamon:

Check out the Deep Water Culture "home" if you haven't already:
The Deep Water Culture Home

Back
Top Bottom