The Deep Water Culture Home

OK, I'm starting this thing so we have a place to hang and help. What it becomes is completely up to you fine growers.

OK, for the first report.

My grow has settled into that exciting time where females have been identified, the males have been whacked, fim is done, supercrop has everything pretty much even, all three res are stable and at full flower nutes, leaves are flat and shiney.

Going this time with just the GH Flora line, cal-mag, cannazyme and a dropor two of superthrive. Left out the Liquid Karma for now this time because I want to see the color of my roots.

I have also taken Rose's advice and kept my N up during the transition (13 days into flower) and that has eliminated the usual massive leaf drop I usually experince in the first 2-3 weeks of 12/12. For those of you following along the bottle directions say 2-2-2 ratio of GMB where 2 = 10ml per gallon. I am instead using a 3-2-2 ratio and will turn it to 2-2-3 in a couple of weeks. It does make the PPM kind of high. My water is 450ppm, my additives are 400ppm and my total is around 2500ppm. So that means I'm running about 1550-1600ppm nutes which under normal situation would be on the very high side of normal for the end of flower. The only reason I feel comfortable is that I know my particular strain loves high nutes but I'm still watcing them for any sign of a problem.

Now that's for my 4 ***'s but for my two strain I rescued from the E&F experiment, I have the same ratio but at 2/3 level. Math works out that I nute as if I had 4 gallons instead of the actual 6 gallons I use. I have one fem Sannie Jack and one fem Pandora's Box together in one res. Sannie Jack is keeping up in height and vigor with the *** but the Pandora's box is lagging behind in height and vigor but it is a shorter plant by genetics and it's struggles to get it's share of the light. I have augmented with a 105w 6400k cfl to go along with it's share of the 400 watt hps. I'm hoping the augmentation gives it what it needs to grow up into a fine lady. Put another 105w 6400k cfl on a tank of *** because one of the plants desided to take a left turn and grow buds toward the wall. At this point they lead and I follow!

Ok that's it for now! Let the games begin!

All right, cool, I just copied and pasted a couple of posts from the last couple of days. I wanted to put this up for those of you who have missed what I've been up to.

12-19-09
Al right, today is res change day. I've been doing a bunch of reading about nute concentrations and proportions. I found this formula for determining what proportions of any brand nute you buy to use when adding to your res and what concentration (ppm) it will give you. Take some of the mystery out of it for me. I'm one of those who has to know exactly what is going on, I don't do too well in situations where someone tells me to just do it and not ask questions.

So today, I'm using the Advanced nutes. I got my TDS meter yesterday so now I can finally measure what I just put in and see how the plants react. My first number to obtain was the tds of my water, approx. 350 (my meter isn't that great, an el cheapo, but it won't hurt me to replace it either). I'm beginning the third week of flowering so I wanted to hit a concentration of approx. 1100 ppm in the res, that's before my 350 for my water so I should be looking at 1450 total ppm. The water I took out of the res was at 1100.

After using the feeding schedule for the Advanced nutes it calculated out to 2.38 tsp/gal or ~5 tbs (4.76 to be exact) for the 6 gal res for each of the two parts. While adding them it just seemed excessive so I only used 4 tbs of each, total of 8 tbs total. I poured it into the res, took out a sample and it read 950, 600 ppm of the nutes, pretty low. So I drew out a gallon and added another 2 tbs of each part and 2 tbs of Big Bud. I poured this into the res, drew a sample and then hit 1150, or 800 ppm on the nutes. But by now the light had gone off so I had to call this good.

On the face of it I feel this is a little light, but prior to this I was using about 1/2 the nutes at the res change (I'll have to go back in my journal and verify quantity) so I am afraid to add more right now. But, I have been adding a 1/6 dose to the gallon of water I add to the res every day, this may have been building up the concentration through out the week. That's why I needed this damn meter, so I would know exactly what's happening, again, I hate flying blind. Actually, thinking about it now, this may be a good strategy for upping the nutes, do it daily, a little at a time. But there are those who contend tou don't need to change the concentration.

My plants are doing great, I just want to make sure they get what they need for good bud production. Almost a little too great, I need to get over to the grow store and buy a net for the tops, the plants are starting to fall over in the res they are so top heavy, and no real bud production yet, I can't wait until they are in full bloom!

So we'll se how they look tomorrow, I'm thinking just fine, but every time you change something you have to pay attention. I'll update tomorrow.

Sorry no pics, I spent too much time on the nutes, didn't have time before the light turned off.

12-20-09 Saturday:
Okay, re-filled the res today, another gallon. Yesterday when I did the res change I refilled with water and nutes to 1150 ppm, my water starts out at about 350ppm. This morning when I got up the ppm was down to 1050, they are in fact eating! So when I refilled the used gallon I added 2 tbs of both part A&B, this brought the ppm up to 1250. I don't see a need to raise it too far, but a little more each day won't hurt anything.

As you can see by the pics my closet is crammed full with plants, they are looking so big and strong it's really incredible. One problem I've run into is due to the sheer size of these plants, yesterday when I was draining the res, I have a drain plug, I tipped the res to get as much out as possible, but when I did that the plants almost fell out of the door! They are now leaning toward the door, you can see the leaves that are growing against the door, it's pretty tight in there. I need to get something to hold them in, either a net over the top they can grow through, I think this would be my preference, or just a strap across the opening to hold them in. The net would arrange things, I could distribute them across the space this way, but some of these babes are getting toward 4' tall and may be a problem getting over and around.

Looking at my favorite plant, the northern light in the front middle you can see 4 major branches coming up from the base, this is one killer plant! The sour diesel to the right of it is just as big. From what I can see I have four great big plants and two that have been kind of squeezed out. Next grow I'm going with 4 plants total, I'll start with clones. 6 plants in this space is way over capacity. I wish I could remove these two, but it would be a bigger hassle than it's worth, plus I'm sure I'll get something out of them.

12-21-09:
I'm researching nutes very closely right now. I'm using Advanced Sensi Bloom parts A&B. I also bought some Big Bud which I was told to use from day one of flowering, then after a month switch to Bud Candy. I didn't add the Big Bud the first week and everything was great, the second week I added a little of the Big Bud and I started to get lower fan leaves starting to yellow and fall off, a big time sign of low N. So at res change I left out the big bud and guess what? The leaves have all greened up nicely again and my plants are healthy. As I understand it, when you have too much K in the mix it interferes with the plants ability to use the nitrogen which the yellows the bottom leaves first. N is mobile in plants so the first place you see a deficiency is in the lower leaves, I'm learning how to read the plants. Uncle Ben has some great threads on plant nutrition, check him out, I've learned a bunch. I am looking into using some sugar based additive for the last week or to of flowering, I'll let you know what I decide to use, got some more reading to do.

Yeah, I'm kind of anal about figuring out this nute thing.

So now, how in the heck do I post pics? I use A Mac and my iPhone and I can't find a place to upload pics to these forums, help!

Yeah, I know, I can be a bit, how would you put it, ummm long winded! Sorry.

:peace:

Sizing lighting, how many lumens are they going to see.

Okay, one more and I'll shut up. I was pretty proud of this one, let me post this here just to get the conversation started, or rolling as it were.

You know, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Cervantes did a real nice write up about this in his bible. Chapter nine, Light, Lamps, and Electricity. He outlined the parameters for consideration of lights, placement and wattage.

A 1000w HPS will put out ~140,000 lumens at 1' away
A 1000w HPS will put out ~35,000 lumens at 2' away
A 600w HPS will put out ~90,000 lumens at 1' away
A 600w HPS will put out ~22,500 lumens at 2' away
A 400w HPS will put out ~50,000 lumens at 1' away
A 400w HPS will put out ~12,500 lumens at 1' away

But you can't put them all the same distance away, the 1000w is much hotter than the 400w. And what we are dealing with when considering distance is the inverse square law. This law affirms that the intensity of light changes in inverse proportion to the square of the distance.

Here's the punch line.

We have to keep:

1000w HPS; ~3' above the tops, at 3' the 1000w put out 15,555 lumens.

600w HPS; ~2' above the tops, at 2' the 600w put out 22,500 lumens.

400w HPS; ~1' above the tops, at 1' the 400w put out 50,000 lumens.

Light intensity virtually doubles for every 6" closer an HID is to the canopy of a garden. I've singed a top twice by keeping my lamp real close, more like 6"-8" with the MH which is hotter than the HPS, I think this is a good strategy seeing as the plants have never seemed to mind getting a little hot, never hurt growth any. I always raise the light, but I never raise it more than 10" above the canopy.

Now the 400w can't cover the area the 1000w can, but for my money I'll buy the 400w and put more of them around for more, closer lighting and getting more lumens on those solar receptors we're feeding so diligently.

Plus when you consider the costs involved, I'm paying about $30/mo. for electric, that would be $75 for the 1000w. I just move them closer, sounds like a pretty easy way to save a few bucks, and be more energy efficient at the same time. Sure your 1000w is bigger than mine, but my sweetie is going to like mine better when I can buy her that fancy dinner!

I've got to give Cervantes credit for most the prior information. He's been incredibly thorough.

So yeah, I guess I've formed an opinion. Hope this helps.

Home is were the Deep Water Culture Roam

Iam growing 3 Northern lights and 3 Bubblelicious
into 3 weeks veg have had many PH prob since
my last grow but with the wisdom of MC & TR
things are looking up :ganjamon:

All right, cool, I just copied and pasted a couple of posts from the last couple of days. I wanted to put this up for those of you who have missed what I've been up to.

12-19-09
Al right, today is res change day. I've been doing a bunch of reading about nute concentrations and proportions. I found this formula for determining what proportions of any brand nute you buy to use when adding to your res and what concentration (ppm) it will give you. Take some of the mystery out of it for me. I'm one of those who has to know exactly what is going on, I don't do too well in situations where someone tells me to just do it and not ask questions.

So today, I'm using the Advanced nutes. I got my TDS meter yesterday so now I can finally measure what I just put in and see how the plants react. My first number to obtain was the tds of my water, approx. 350 (my meter isn't that great, an el cheapo, but it won't hurt me to replace it either). I'm beginning the third week of flowering so I wanted to hit a concentration of approx. 1100 ppm in the res, that's before my 350 for my water so I should be looking at 1450 total ppm. The water I took out of the res was at 1100.

After using the feeding schedule for the Advanced nutes it calculated out to 2.38 tsp/gal or ~5 tbs (4.76 to be exact) for the 6 gal res for each of the two parts. While adding them it just seemed excessive so I only used 4 tbs of each, total of 8 tbs total. I poured it into the res, took out a sample and it read 950, 600 ppm of the nutes, pretty low. So I drew out a gallon and added another 2 tbs of each part and 2 tbs of Big Bud. I poured this into the res, drew a sample and then hit 1150, or 800 ppm on the nutes. But by now the light had gone off so I had to call this good.

On the face of it I feel this is a little light, but prior to this I was using about 1/2 the nutes at the res change (I'll have to go back in my journal and verify quantity) so I am afraid to add more right now. But, I have been adding a 1/6 dose to the gallon of water I add to the res every day, this may have been building up the concentration through out the week. That's why I needed this damn meter, so I would know exactly what's happening, again, I hate flying blind. Actually, thinking about it now, this may be a good strategy for upping the nutes, do it daily, a little at a time. But there are those who contend tou don't need to change the concentration.

My plants are doing great, I just want to make sure they get what they need for good bud production. Almost a little too great, I need to get over to the grow store and buy a net for the tops, the plants are starting to fall over in the res they are so top heavy, and no real bud production yet, I can't wait until they are in full bloom!

So we'll se how they look tomorrow, I'm thinking just fine, but every time you change something you have to pay attention. I'll update tomorrow.

Sorry no pics, I spent too much time on the nutes, didn't have time before the light turned off.

12-20-09 Saturday:
Okay, re-filled the res today, another gallon. Yesterday when I did the res change I refilled with water and nutes to 1150 ppm, my water starts out at about 350ppm. This morning when I got up the ppm was down to 1050, they are in fact eating! So when I refilled the used gallon I added 2 tbs of both part A&B, this brought the ppm up to 1250. I don't see a need to raise it too far, but a little more each day won't hurt anything.

As you can see by the pics my closet is crammed full with plants, they are looking so big and strong it's really incredible. One problem I've run into is due to the sheer size of these plants, yesterday when I was draining the res, I have a drain plug, I tipped the res to get as much out as possible, but when I did that the plants almost fell out of the door! They are now leaning toward the door, you can see the leaves that are growing against the door, it's pretty tight in there. I need to get something to hold them in, either a net over the top they can grow through, I think this would be my preference, or just a strap across the opening to hold them in. The net would arrange things, I could distribute them across the space this way, but some of these babes are getting toward 4' tall and may be a problem getting over and around.

Looking at my favorite plant, the northern light in the front middle you can see 4 major branches coming up from the base, this is one killer plant! The sour diesel to the right of it is just as big. From what I can see I have four great big plants and two that have been kind of squeezed out. Next grow I'm going with 4 plants total, I'll start with clones. 6 plants in this space is way over capacity. I wish I could remove these two, but it would be a bigger hassle than it's worth, plus I'm sure I'll get something out of them.

12-21-09:
I'm researching nutes very closely right now. I'm using Advanced Sensi Bloom parts A&B. I also bought some Big Bud which I was told to use from day one of flowering, then after a month switch to Bud Candy. I didn't add the Big Bud the first week and everything was great, the second week I added a little of the Big Bud and I started to get lower fan leaves starting to yellow and fall off, a big time sign of low N. So at res change I left out the big bud and guess what? The leaves have all greened up nicely again and my plants are healthy. As I understand it, when you have too much K in the mix it interferes with the plants ability to use the nitrogen which the yellows the bottom leaves first. N is mobile in plants so the first place you see a deficiency is in the lower leaves, I'm learning how to read the plants. Uncle Ben has some great threads on plant nutrition, check him out, I've learned a bunch. I am looking into using some sugar based additive for the last week or to of flowering, I'll let you know what I decide to use, got some more reading to do.

Yeah, I'm kind of anal about figuring out this nute thing.

So now, how in the heck do I post pics? I use A Mac and my iPhone and I can't find a place to upload pics to these forums, help!

Yeah, I know, I can be a bit, how would you put it, ummm long winded! Sorry.

You're going to love that Advanced A & B for Flowering. So simple and easy, a teaspoon per gallon of water each. Did ya notice they have a higher N value than most other Flowring nutes?

OK, I'm starting this thing so we have a place to hang and help. What it becomes is completely up to you fine growers.

OK, for the first report.

My grow has settled into that exciting time where females have been identified, the males have been whacked, fim is done, supercrop has everything pretty much even, all three res are stable and at full flower nutes, leaves are flat and shiney.

Going this time with just the GH Flora line, cal-mag, cannazyme and a dropor two of superthrive. Left out the Liquid Karma for now this time because I want to see the color of my roots.

I have also taken Rose's advice and kept my N up during the transition (13 days into flower) and that has eliminated the usual massive leaf drop I usually experince in the first 2-3 weeks of 12/12. For those of you following along the bottle directions say 2-2-2 ratio of GMB where 2 = 10ml per gallon. I am instead using a 3-2-2 ratio and will turn it to 2-2-3 in a couple of weeks. It does make the PPM kind of high. My water is 450ppm, my additives are 400ppm and my total is around 2500ppm. So that means I'm running about 1550-1600ppm nutes which under normal situation would be on the very high side of normal for the end of flower. The only reason I feel comfortable is that I know my particular strain loves high nutes but I'm still watcing them for any sign of a problem.

Now that's for my 4 ***'s but for my two strain I rescued from the E&F experiment, I have the same ratio but at 2/3 level. Math works out that I nute as if I had 4 gallons instead of the actual 6 gallons I use. I have one fem Sannie Jack and one fem Pandora's Box together in one res. Sannie Jack is keeping up in height and vigor with the *** but the Pandora's box is lagging behind in height and vigor but it is a shorter plant by genetics and it's struggles to get it's share of the light. I have augmented with a 105w 6400k cfl to go along with it's share of the 400 watt hps. I'm hoping the augmentation gives it what it needs to grow up into a fine lady. Put another 105w 6400k cfl on a tank of *** because one of the plants desided to take a left turn and grow buds toward the wall. At this point they lead and I follow!

Ok that's it for now! Let the games begin!

I am anxious to hear about your extra N experiment. I will always use it in Flowering on future grows.

You're going to love that Advanced A & B for Flowering. So simple and easy, a teaspoon per gallon of water each. Did ya notice they have a higher N value than most other Flowring nutes?

I'm loving them so far as no problem at all. I'm 17 days into flower and the girls are strong as can be.

I see in the posting rules at the bottom of the page here that I may not post pics, hopefully that restriction will be lifted soon!

Hello gang glad to see ya all, Doctor Who here! other wise known in another circle as npsant and that is no more! because here on this site, we have a new start and no drama allowed!

I finally received my second 400wtt hps light in but the dam hps bulb didn't on arrival, good thing I had an extra 400wtt MH, so I have 1 400wtthps and 1 MH light a combo!

I plan to drop by the hydroponics store and get a new 400hps but can't decide to go with more costly $90 hps light with extra spectrums or just $23 400hps I think cost wise the $23 or what you think stay with the combo?

The grow is going good so far, and I we are in 4th week of flowering and colas are begining to form real (Nice) the lighting should be close to good enough now I hope.

I am working on a new journal with pictures soon, but hay! no problems to report right now!! but I'll see what I can do lol, we all know at this stage the need to be carefull is needed.

I look foreword to our continued collective of sharing of knowledge an help.

And Hello to Roseman teacher/mentor and all around good human.

I grow with bubbles****

Thanks DW.

did you use a water pump? Did ya remove it yet?

I love N/Ls.

removed what a headache that was, my other problem was my well pump
was cloged with rust keeped ph high now its about 5.65 - 6.00. them i forgot to cut the bad roots out even tho i cleaned them they turned dark brown alas
another recovery so far so good :slide: to bad we cant post pics here

I am truly happy that so many of us have migrated to this site. It seems like a much friendlier home than the last. I will start a thread when I get the chance to show you all the final weeks of my first grow. I believe we can post attachments after we have 25 posts. Until then, you can post them in an album and then paste them or insert them into a post. Go Deep Water Culture!

Hey everyone
A chit
I burn the hell out of my biggest Kali Mist (Bloombasatic)
crying.gif

The bottle was empty so I mix some water in the little bottle it was in and poured that into the 5 gal rez thinking that it was weak but i fear that the residue at the bottom of the bottle was good for a few more application when I mix a little water with it.

Been a little over 72 hr and she still limp. (fk!)
Fortunately the others in other contains where fine.

gallery_1327_1113_53739.jpg

Kind of depends on where they really where in the cycle. Some get to a level and seem to take forever to finish. Kali is a sativa dominant, right. If that's the case then any buds she has may be better than expected. Haven't grown any but had some underdone sativas that were actually kind of good. Really smooth. No down and all up if you like that kind of thing. If she does go I'd try a little, imagine what it might be like after a cure and if there's nothing obvious I make a mountain of oil.

Kind of depends on where they really where in the cycle. Some get to a level and seem to take forever to finish. Kali is a sativa dominant, right. If that's the case then any buds she has may be better than expected. Haven't grown any but had some underdone sativas that were actually kind of good. Really smooth. No down and all up if you like that kind of thing. If she does go I'd try a little, imagine what it might be like after a cure and if there's nothing obvious I make a mountain of oil.

I'll give her a few more days then may cut her down, there's alot a bud on her anyway.
I lean toward Sativa's, after Rose finished his in 8 week flat I may want to try some of the NL someday too.

Back
Top Bottom