Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2 question

spyvy

I am wondering if using H202 at 1 teaspoon per gallon as an algae preventive will harm the plants in any way/ like germination issues/ slow growth anything weird . I have had algae issues before and want to know if this is a good thing or bad to do unless you have issues. I want to avoid any problems if it is safe . I am using 8 teaspoons to 8 gallons Thanks :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

IMG_000113.JPG
I had bad root Problems during Veg I kept 15ml - 1 Tablespoon per gallon and still do and my laddies are doing just fine no problems

I am wondering if using H202 at 1 teaspoon per gallon as an algae preventive will harm the plants in any way/ like germination issues/ slow growth anything weird . I have had algae issues before and want to know if this is a good thing or bad to do unless you have issues. I want to avoid any problems if it is safe . I am using 8 teaspoons to 8 gallons Thanks :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

it will kill your bacteria base

Thanks for the infomation . Those plants are looking good . Hope my new batch gets going soom waiting for them to sprout >:rollit::rollit::rollit::yummy::yummy:

good thread - I was about to ask this same question if I hadn't found one.

And since you got the eye of PitViper - we'll soak him for info.

I know there are some bacteria that's good and some that's bad. Most of the things that kill bacteria kill indescriminitely the good and bad.

Is there an amount of algae thats bad enough to merit killing the good bacteria?

Is there a dosage that will kill the algae without killing the bacteria?

Is there a product like Hydroguard or Hygrozyme that is designed to answer any of these issues?

How long after killing the bacteria does it take to grow back - by adding chelated tea for example can you offset the loss?

How much chlorine in tap water will have similar effects?

good thread - I was about to ask this same

Is there a product like Hydroguard or Hygrozyme that is designed to answer any of these issues?

(Pit, hope it is OK I jump in here)

Hygrozyme can be used with H2o2 as it is BACTERIA-FREE enzymes and complex chains of amino acids.
(I spoke with Sipco's techs)
Sipco Phone # 800-565-3070

link-> Sipco Industries: a complete line of speciality medical detergents. Hygrozyme.

Hygrozyme has been proven in maintaining the visual appearance and ongoing health of a wide variety of cut flowers: roses, mums, lilies, orchids, etc., as well as a large variety of harvested produce. By using Hygrozyme during the growing cycle, produce (e.g. fruit, vegetables, herbs, etc) will stay fresh longer and appear visually attractive and healthy. This will significantly reduce the amount of spoilage.

CSRI tests for cut flowers showed that by adding Hygrozyme to a daily change of water, they are able to last in excess of 14 days (with proper cutting and removal of dead leaves). Another unique quality of Hygrozyme is, that it is the only known product in the market that can be used in conjunction with Hydrogen Peroxide in a ppm of 1-2% solution. By adding a 1-2% hydrogen peroxide solution, the results were even more pronounced.

Yea I had a bad algae issue on my first grow had to trash 6 easyryders / I do not want that to happen again. My issue was light getting in to my rubbermaid tub .. Preventive medicine I am for LOL :roorrip::roorrip::roorrip::roorrip:

I have seen many many growers use one tablespoon of 3% per gallon of water, as a preventative and two tablespoons as a cure with no serious consequences.

For a better cure, use Hygrozyme, it also helps with pH if you have crappy water. I do not recommend using anything, not either one, if you don't already have a problem.

The very best advice is keep the water clean and don't need anything to start with!

Thanks, everyone.

Let me see if I can sum up correctly.

1 - It IS ok to use Hydrogen Peroxide with PBP Organic Nutes.
2 - It IS ok to use it with Hygrozyme.
3 - The H2o2 kills bacteria, and the Hygrozyme helps the roots and therefore overall health of the plants.
4 - The Hygrozyme is not bacteria based so it is not affected.
5 - They can be used as a preventative measure or as a fix.

well like I said in the beginig be carefull using h2020 oxegenated water ita extremely potent, but used carefully is verry beneficial too any type of grow system start out with the 1tablespoon per gal but I wouldnt ADVISE ANYTHING OVER piont quarter percent regularly 11parts water too 1part h2020 makes a 3% solutionwhich is easier and safer too work with .u know ted kennedy was getting averry mild solution fed iv too fight his cancer but unfortunately it was making his veins brittle now if you get any on your skin it will burn like hell turn pure white you just flush under cold running water

Instead of using peroxide as an algae preventative, why don't you work on keeping the LIGHT out of the reservoir and then there will be NO algae to worry about.

Instead of using peroxide as an algae preventative, why don't you work on keeping the LIGHT out of the reservoir and then there will be NO algae to worry about.

High Spyvy and :welcome: to 420Mag!

Roseman's advice is probably the best. If light is causing the problem then eliminate the source of the problem. This is great advice for any of the problems that seem to plague our girls.

As for H2O2 use, I use it on a regular basis. I use the 35% food grade peroxide at 0.5 ml/L or 2 ml/USG. I put it in a fresh tub of nutes and add that amount about once a week. More often if there is an existing algae problem like every 3 days. I spent quite a bit of time lurking "straight" hydro forums and tomato growers seem to use it in their hydro and soil grows to prevent problems and add extra O2 to the root areas of their plants. 3% drug store peroxide can be used too at 11X the application rate. For soil grows or algae on top of rockwool straight 3% in a spray bottle sprayed directly on the algae is supposed to work and if diluted to 1-2% is supposed to be good for getting rid of fungus gnat larvae and other nasties in soil without knocking out all the beneficial bugs. They supposedly grow back pretty fast once their living conditions improve.

I don't put any covering over my tubs and it may be because of the peroxide but I've never had algae in my tubs. I see a lot of guys using duct tape or foil to help prevent light penetration so you may want to try that. After 70 days sitting in the same tub of nutes my roots and plants are still healthy and the sol'n is clear like fresh water. I don't recommend going that long without a nute change but I like messing with the plants sometimes to see how much abuse they'll take before dying on me. lol So far so good and I'm only a few days to two weeks away from harvest.

Lots of luck with your grow and +rep for a good question.

C'ya L8r.

:peace:

I have to agree totally my 17 gallon aerophonic unit the only time I changed the water was to flush but normaly Id add about 2 tblsp a week of food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide

Yep thanks guys But I did have a light issue at first I blocked all the light and still had an algae issue with the water turning greyish and heavy snot bubbles building at water level on the sides of the tank.

So light was not my issue this time and water temp was never above 63 degrees and I still had shit growing in 4 days after a res change .

I was baffeled so now I just throw in 3/4 cup of 3% peroxide and no more slime and nasty looking water . I still do not know what the cause was .

It sure was not light this time or water temp. I so wasted 6 Easy ryders They could not recover . So no I am doing it all again with 5 Nirvana Bubblelicious / 3 DNA Kandy Kush & skunk & 3 nirvana Short Ryders and 1 DNA Blue hash plant ..

I have the 5 Bubblelicious & the 3 dna Kush in a Deep Water Culture & the 3 short ryders & blue hash going in a DWC and also have 5 nirvana AK48 going in soil so I have alot of shit growing right now all germed and water is still clear in both water systems ..so the second atemp in water is underway .. soil I never had issues LOL thank god LOL but as you can see I like my pot and will do whatever it takes to get it right this time in water culture growing .

And thank alot all of you guys & Roseman a 1000 thanks to you and your Knowledge in this area ,,,wish you were My Neighbor LOL .. Thanks alot people ,,..:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::ganjamon::ganjamon::ganjamon::ganjamon::smokin:

Let's look at what Ed Rosenthal says about peroxide.

I found this article very interesting. It was written by Ed Rosenthal. I see a lot of mis-information about peroxide, and debate too, so I wanted to show you what he says.

by Ed Rosenthal.
How much hydrogen peroxide should be used?

When and how much hydrogen peroxide should I use in my hydroponic solution?

Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer that can be used to destroy fungi, molds, bacteria and other infectious agents as well as some pollutants. Adding it to your water helps plants by destroying infectious agents and by adding oxygen to the roots' environment.
Hydrogen peroxide is an essential ingredient in maintaining a clean growing room. It replaces chlorine bleach, which is antiseptic but harmful to breathe. When added to reservoirs, hydrogen peroxide slows the growth of algae and other water organisms so that trays and utensils need to be cleaned less frequently. Soil and water borne diseases such as pythium and other stem and root rots occur at much lower rates in hydrogen peroxide-enriched water. Hydrogen peroxide works because of the oxidative reaction, so micro-organisms are unlikely to develop a tolerance.
There are many ways to add hydrogen peroxide to the water. A measured amount every three days is the crudest method, but still effectively enriches the water. A smaller measured amount daily would even out the peaks and valleys of oxygen in the water. Another method is to use a drip similar to an IV bag, which continuously adds a regulated amount. The most sophisticated method is a probe which measures the oxygen content of the water as an indirect means of measuring the hydrogen peroxide, and adds an appropriate amount as needed.
When used properly, hydrogen peroxide can keep infections in the garden to a minimum and stimulate root growth by increasing the oxygen content of the water. Hydrogen peroxide degrades into free oxygen and water over a three-day period. Some of the oxygen dissolves in the reservoir water and is used by the roots.
Different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide solution are available. It is sold diluted to 3% in drug stores. Some indoor garden shops sell 10% grade and 35% grade is sold in a few health food stores and over the Internet. The 3% hydrogen peroxide solution can be used topically to sterilize cuts and infections. Hydrogen peroxide solution at 10% burns skin. 35% hydrogen peroxide solution acts much like a concentrated acid and is handled as a hazardous, corrosive liquid.
The 10% hydrogen peroxide solution is sometimes used at rates as low as one ounce per 10 gallons water; however, enrichment using an ounce per gallon is more effective for disease control. When 35% hydrogen peroxide solution is used, it can be added at the rate of three ounces per 10 gallons of water. If a 3% solution is used, use three ounces per gallon of water as a cure.

just my 2 cents thick foil is easy to use. (read the idea here)

Back
Top Bottom