Hydrogen Peroxide & Supersoil

Bigjoemeat

Hello all growers..had a question.. Right now I'm running supersoil and I have a bad gnat problem..im thinking its from the roots soil I used to make the subcool supersoil I'm using now.. If i mix a small amount of hydrogen peroxide into water to kill the little buggers,would it harm the supersoil in anyway? Is supersoil considered a living soil? Please help,these things multiply fast. 2 weeks to go in flower, there is no symptoms in the plants i see but damn they are everywhere. They showed up a week an half ago. I have sticky traps in the tent for the mean time

Look up hyrdogen rocks. I believe that is how it is spelled. A grow once told me to put down a small layer on top of the soil to kill the gnats that come out

Don't do it.

Think organic. Order some neem meal and top dress with that. Then buy some neem oil, Google neem oil foiliar spray, and do that. Finally, Google "cider gnat trap" and place one of those in your grow area. Proper use of the trap will kill exiting gnats and repeated (weekly) top dressings and sprays for three to four weeks will kill the eggs. Consistency is key. You need to break the egg cycle.

Maybe ill go buy some beneficial nematodes from my local hydroshop. Mix some in a spray bottle and spray all the top layer of the soil to infect any gnats on the top walking around.. And then mix some in a gallon of water and do a drench.. Says it works within 3 days..so well see

In the days when I worked in an office, we used to place a layer of sand on the soil of our indoor plants to get rid of the gnats. I don't know why, but it works, and there's no chemical smell. I'm guessing about 1/2" would be enough.

The problem with h202 in your supersoil is it kills off all your beneficial bacteria also.
This appears to be an old thread but there's always mosquito dunks with BT.
That and letting things dry out more between waterings should solve a gnat problem.
I also just clicked on a sponors banner, some product of theirs I use , sierra natural science has a variety of save and effective products.

In the days when I worked in an office, we used to place a layer of sand on the soil of our indoor plants to get rid of the gnats. I don't know why, but it works, and there's no chemical smell. I'm guessing about 1/2" would be enough.
a layer of diatomaceous earth even better. It's got microscopic sharp edges and when they try to burrow in and out they get cut to shit and bleed out.

Has anybody tried hydrogen peroxide in a soil with bad results? Does it actually kill them on contact?

And I'm not sure that the h2o2 really kills them,It only kills their food source and that's the reason they are there. it would have to be high enough concentration that would more than likely damage roots. Sorry for all the post but I'm new and could use the post count anyway :p
Nematodes OR BTi (mosquito dunks) , the diatomaceous earth as a preventative.

The fungus gnat fly is relative harmless & more annoying than any thing else but the fungus gnat larvae which is present in the soil is the real problem as their food source is the root system of the plant... ye they eat roots.

Young plants/seedling are more prone to damage than a mature plant from the larvae.

H202 will more likely kill of the benificial bacteria in the soil which isn't going to be very good for super soils....

I would more likely look around for a product for fungus gnat control.

The fungus gnat fly is relative harmless & more annoying than any thing else but the fungus gnat larvae which is present in the soil is the real problem as their food source is the root system of the plant... ye they eat roots.

Young plants/seedling are more prone to damage than a mature plant from the larvae.

H202 will more likely kill of the benificial bacteria in the soil which isn't going to be very good for super soils....

I would more likely look around for a product for fungus gnat control.

The adult fungus gnat may not be as harmless as you think. That is unless you don't mind smoking the little bastards.
They stick to buds as they do a sticky trap.
Your best bet in not getting an infestation is to let your soil dry out a bit more than you have been.
Use BTi (mosquito dunks )as regular maintenance whether you see evidence of gnats or not.
Some products for gnats contain cedar oil which can't be good for a plant.
SNS makes a product that is nothing more than a rosemary oil and is systemic so it makes the plant not desirable for any pest to feed on, that means no spider mites on the leaves and no gnats or aphids in the soil because it taste like shit to them.

The adult fungus gnat may not be as harmless as you think. That is unless you don't mind smoking the little bastards.
They stick to buds as they do a sticky trap.

That is a very good point & made me chuckle :thumb:

Mmm what is that after taste man ? ye dude that is fungus gnat it gives the smoke a fuller flavor dude :cheesygrinsmiley:

Don't do it.

Think organic. Order some neem meal and top dress with that. Then buy some neem oil, Google neem oil foiliar spray, and do that. Finally, Google "cider gnat trap" and place one of those in your grow area. Proper use of the trap will kill exiting gnats and repeated (weekly) top dressings and sprays for three to four weeks will kill the eggs. Consistency is key. You need to break the egg cycle.

i already did that..
but still don't know the result..
i thought hydrogen peroxide is very organic because the by product of the chemical only water and oxygen.

can u explain or tell me about your experience using hydrogen peroxide on super soil ??

Back
Top Bottom