If it's dry below an inch BS

Ok here is a question. When watering a plant in a 1 gallon pot, how much water does it take for a good water?
Reason I ask is because I'm giving the plant 200 ML (6.763 OZ). It almost immediately starts running out. The water will sit on the top and has a hard time soaking in. I waited about 10 minutes and emptied the run off back into my bottle to measure and there was 100 ML that ran out. Maybe my whole problem is my soil sucks. Now I'm wondering if my plants are even getting enough water to begin with.
Basically these plants are getting 100 Ml (3.3 OZ) every watering in a 1 gallon pot.
gonna repost this on my journal as well

In my experience, it takes roughly 25% of the pot volume. I plan on about 1 quart for a 1 gallon pot and 2 gallons of water for a 7 gallon pot.

The reason it runs out the bottom is, water always seeks the path of least resistance. Soil, like a dry sponge, takes time to absorb water. Most of it will run down any small gaps or loose spots in the soil, or down the outer edge. Much of the soil will remain dry.

You must not be putting your pots inside a slightly larger container so they can soak, getting water from the bottom up as well as top down. This isn't required, but if you don't, you will waste water and nutrients. Without a "dunk", it takes a lot longer to saturate the soil since you need to water VERY slowly giving the soil time to expand and absorb as much moisture as possible. Even when I dunk my pots and water from the top, I let the pots soak for a few minutes before draining them.

Most of us have an oddball pot that is a little bigger than what we are growing in. Alternatively, I've used old plastic tubs/buckets that are roughly the same size as my pots. You can use the same size pot if you have an extra. I line the pot with a trash bag so it doesn't leak. Now when you water from the top, any runoff will collect in the bottom and let the soil soak. I often do not dunk 7 gallon pots. They are too heavy to move around in my confined space. In that case I use a saucer to catch the water. It is slower but still lets the soil soak and does not waste nute's.

Beginning to think I was never getting much water to my babies. But they always looked overwatered so I just figured that's what I was doing. After reading a few posts it became obvious that I wasn't giving enough water. 200ml top feeding and an easy 100 would come out if not more. That's not much. Would pick it up and the weight was not much more than one I haven't watered. I'm like wtf? Hoping I come home to 4 plants that look much better. Stuck at work and it's killing me not knowing.
Turns out I can't make dirt wet. Lol

Yeah, if you've only been letting them have 100 ml at a time, they are very thirsty. Water from the top while you dunk those pots, and let them soak. When done, drain them well. Tip the pots one way. Tip them another way. This will help them drain more.

1/3 perlite...then you wont have dry spots after a good watering. I did lots of experiments with ratios of stuff...1/3 perlite really makes for nice evenly moistened soil. Nothing from a bag should be just planted in that is tying 1 arm behind your back from the get go. At least thin it with perlite even if not doing anything else.

I normally pick the pot up and feel how heavy it is. Maybe that would work for you also

Psalm 104:14

"He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, and the herb for the service of Man".

1/3 perlite...then you wont have dry spots after a good watering. I did lots of experiments with ratios of stuff...1/3 perlite really makes for nice evenly moistened soil. Nothing from a bag should be just planted in that is tying 1 arm behind your back from the get go. At least thin it with perlite even if not doing anything else.

...except Promix HP. It comes with 30+% perlite right from the bag. ;)

I was over watering in little amounts often then took majorpitas advice let completely dry out then water to all soil is most do it slow so all soil can soak up water and it will last for over a week let dry out completely between waters as they like dry time

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

major I have a question I have grown with pro mix bx before, which do you think is better? the hp or bx?

I prefer HP.
HP = High Porosity. It has about 30% perlite. I get the stuff with Myco.
BX = Premier Tech's general purpose potting soil. BX has about 12% perlite and some vermiculite for water extra holding capacity. I prefer the added drainage of HP.

Back
Top Bottom