Indoor Mystery Seeds - First Journal

Re: Indoor mystery seeds. First Journal!

I only have 2 CFL's (HA!) tomorrow I am going out to buy some more bulbs and maybe try and make some sort of light box. Any suggestions on a cheap light box? I have something cardboard about the size that I was thinking of and foil.... Anyways, any advice would be appreciated! :tokin:

Hi MrNiceGuy -

They don't look that bad at all in the pictures, but it's tough to tell without seeing everything. Cardboard boxes can be made into effective grow boxes if done right and carefully (don't do something to burn your house down, etc.) UHaul often has really good corrugated boxes for sale that can be easily modified for this purpose.

I would stay away from foil - it can create hot spots and problems for your plants. If you'd like to make the inside of your grow box more reflective I would instead try mylar (most hydroponic/grow stores have it) or, if it were me, I'd use white poster-board as a liner inside my small cardboard grow box to help reflect light (white does a good job reflecting light).

If you have time to do some searches on this site you'll find a lot of creative small grow box ideas that are done at quite a low budget.

Here is a creative, budget grow box that would probably be safer than cardboard that you might want to consider:

White Widow, Bubble Gum, Purple Haze Grow Tubs LST CFL

Here's a great idea for a CFL fixture that you could make pretty affordably:

The CFL "12-Pack" Grow Light How-To:

Hope some of these ideas help or spur inspiration for you. Don't get discouraged - even if things don't work out you are learning. Speaking of inspiration, keep this Thomas Edison quote in mind - he was speaking of the fact that it took him more than 700 attempts before he succeeded at making a lightbulb:

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have
succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have
eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will
work." Thomas Edison

Re: Indoor mystery seeds. First Journal!

Hey Xlr8 thanks for all the great advice! I still haven't gotten more bulbs, but I did like the 12 pack setup. + rep!

Glad you found it useful MrNiceGuy - thank you for the +rep my friend!
:thanks:

Re: Indoor Mystery Seeds - First Journal!

Does anyone have any information on trimming leaves? While I'm LSTing 2 of my plants, I feel like those other growths are not getting enough light. Can I trim the top canopy in order for the bottom to receive light?

Still working on getting more lights up, and fashioning some sort of box for them all. So I'll be working on all that this weekend at the latest.

Oh and my camera sucks ass, so I don't have any pictures right now, but I'll try and get a few pictures up a little later.
:lot-o-toke:

Quick pics. Sorry they are so terrible. So much to do, so little time to :tokin:
:lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke:
2-9-11_Plant_A.JPG
2-9-11_Plant_B.JPG
2-9-11_Plant_C.JPG
2-9-11_Plant_D.JPG

Does anyone have any information on trimming leaves? While I'm LSTing 2 of my plants, I feel like those other growths are not getting enough light. Can I trim the top canopy in order for the bottom to receive light?

Still working on getting more lights up, and fashioning some sort of box for them all. So I'll be working on all that this weekend at the latest.

Oh and my camera sucks ass, so I don't have any pictures right now, but I'll try and get a few pictures up a little later.
:lot-o-toke:

Personally, I'm not a big fan of trimming healthy plants much. I do trim off leaves, etc., that are dead or mostly dead. But they play a vital role in providing light energy to your plant, so you should be really careful.

If you decide to do some trimming, I'd worry about trimming the stuff underneath not getting light vs. trimming the top to get light to the bottom, but that's just how I'd do it.

Trust me, there are a million opinions on this topic! My suggestion is to go to read up as much as you can here and make the decision for yourself, and maybe someone can chime in here who is a more aggressive trimmer as to how/why they do what they do. I trim very very little to none.

Here's a link that may be helpful:

Leaf trimming

those are some wonderful ladies u got there mr.niceguy...keep up the good work..

Pruning any plant should be a very deliberate and thoughtful process. If it does need to be done, it is best to do little bits each day until the desired look/result is achieved. Ideally, you want people to look at your plant and wonder if you have done anything to it at all.

Leaves are vital in producing energy for your growing one, so prune wisely. Like Xlr8 said, prune only leaves that aren't getting much light.

:rollit:

A bit of bad news...

Three of Four plants....:rip::rip::rip:

While my friend was watching my flat for a weekend, he forgot that my dog and cats are addicted to the green more than I am.

They uprooted every plant but one, but they did manage to eat most of the large fan leaves off it it. Soooooooo With a little bit of trimming, I THINK I can salvage it.
2-17-11.JPG
2-17-11_2.JPG

I feel like it's a huge setback, and now I'll have to do more veg in order for it to even be worth it.

A bit of bad news...

Three of Four plants....:rip::rip::rip:

While my friend was watching my flat for a weekend, he forgot that my dog and cats are addicted to the green more than I am.

They uprooted every plant but one, but they did manage to eat most of the large fan leaves off it it. Soooooooo With a little bit of trimming, I THINK I can salvage it.
2-17-11.JPG
2-17-11_2.JPG

I feel like it's a huge setback, and now I'll have to do more veg in order for it to even be worth it.

Bummer!!! Really sorry to hear about the setback. Sending you good vibes for your sole survivor. Hope it makes it - it still looks nice and green and healthy - little droopy, but she may snap out of it. Maybe just an unexpected trim...

Hey Everybody!

I recently got a great job that's really been kickin my ass. :lot-o-toke:

Anyways, I forgot about my closet project for almost a month. My sole survivor has exploded in a short amount of time, I can barely recognize it next to the other pictures that I last updated.

3-6-11_Plant_1.JPG

You can see all the circled spots where my animals got ahold of them last time.

3-6-11_Plant_new_growth.JPG

And this is all the new growth. Looks like at least 3 or 4 tiers of growth.

3-6-11_Plant_full_view_2.JPG

3-6-11_Plant_full_view.JPG

I'd really like to go ahead a switch the light cycle to 12/12 because I don't have any idea what sex it is. But I think I need more light coverage or I'll just be wasting my time.

Back
Top Bottom