Intelligent gro: How to get a supplier to fix their product?

If more COB's start blinking as you power up my best guess is a lack of current to drive everything. As the demand goes up any digital components are starved out and shut down, then the current comes back, and the voltage comes up and the digital stuff comes back to life. Then once again the current is sucked out again shutting it all down over and over. If I had to make a guess as to what there problem is it would be a lack of current from the power supply. They should beef it up I think. Of course it could be the solder joints like the other guy said, but usually that would make a line shut down, or not get as bright. Sorry to hear of such bad support out of these guys making good lights on the cheap. I would bet a better power supply would have cost them a few bucks more per unit.

I have 1 single plug on a dedicated brand new 20 Amp circuit. Only thing plugged into this circuit is my light fixture, nothing else. I run fans and pumps off a seperate circuit.
The power cord on this light gets blazing hot. I brought this up days after I got the light set up and was informed the cord does tend to get hot with this big thing. I can't touch it or it burns my hand hot...

that should not happen a 20 amp circuit is good for a easy 1500w with 700w to spare before tripping the fuse , the light draws around 760w I believe.

I am thinking the ballasts are not wired correctly or the wall circuit is not , more likely the ballasts

Wall circuit is brand new, wired to code with new wire, box, receptacle and circuit breaker with ground fault protection. It was wired by my brother, a unionized journeyman electrician and I see nothing wrong with it at the panel or receptacle box.
I have not opened this light up as of yet as I am still waiting for the new pcbs to get shipped out at inteligro's earliest convenience.
When I do crack this thing open, I will be at a university electrical engineering lab. Friend of the family writes university level textbooks on the matter, so I'm pretty sure it can get sorted out..... However, that's not my beef. My beef is the time I've had to wait with no offer of compensation. I may be just some dumb bricklayer, but I know when something ain't right.

Sound to me like a bad power supply, not a bad supply of power. there is no way they designed that unit to run so much current through a power cable to make it hot, even warm is wrong. An 18 Ga power cable should deliver up to 10A and only be slightly warm at the most. When something is wrong in electronics it is not a request for more current, but a demand. What do they fuse that light at anyway?

Well I have been told today is shipping day. Will see I guess. Can't wait to crack this open and fix it. Had another light start blinking constantly making it 5 out of the 10 now. Will definitely look at power supply once we are in there.
Yea, the cord goes above 125 degrees F. Lower obviously now that the draw isn't 100%. It's around 110 F this morning drawing 110v @ 5.9 amps. Veg and bloom are at 100%, grow/intense is at 80%.

Woohoo. Parts getting ready for shipping!
Aaaaand another blinking light this morning, making 6 outta 10
Last night before shutdown, 5 were working fine. This morning when I turned it on, only 4 working. I did nothing to it during the 12 hour off.
I dunno?? It's like a virus, spreading from pod to pod....

Oh..My..GAWDZ! I'm so frikkin sorry about all this. I just got clued into this thread. This is bad, and I'm so sorry that your experience with David has gone so wrong. I feel even worse that you decided to buy because of ME! If anyone else reading this has had similar dealings, please, please, please PM me. {{Shakes head}} This is bad...

If I were the manufacture of your system I would have long ago replaced out your light and had you send the bad one back to me. Then I would have been able to figure out what the problem is so I could upgrade my product. There should not be any question about my product, and if there was I would be on it like a tick. What kind of fly by night outfit is it anyway, sending out parts so you can fix it yourself. As I said before I would bill them for the time, and if they didn't pay I'd go to court for it just to fix there product for them so the next guy doesn't have these problems, but they know a grower doesn't want to stick there nose out in front of a judge, so they feel safe in there offices hiding there mistakes. Not too much different than Chevy I think, or any of the other cover up BS you hear about everyday.
This is sad, and I do feel for you on this.:ban:

From my understanding the problem has been identified. I was not the only one affected with a problem with this size light.
David did ask for me to return the light but by that point I had been waiting over 1.5 months and didn't get any answers that satisfied me as to if, when and what the issue was nor at that point did I trust him with my cash for the light AND having my light as well until the problem was resolved. I told David to send me the replacements and I will do it myself.
As for the technical details as to what and why the light failed, I would let David explain that if he would and he would reply here. I'm not here to drag his business or reputation down. I simply wanted a fix for my light and found this to be the most effective way to get that ball moving Faster.
But I will say this.... If this "fix" doesn't work I will not be a happy camper.
ALL my intense lights are out now. 10/10 blinking, so that switch stays off.
My fix is enroute now. I have a tracking number so it's something to look forward to.

Cool, good to hear they are finally on top of this for you. I will be watching to see what reply this David has to say about what the problem was, and how it will not be an issue on there future products. I do have a curiosity about such things, and I'm sure any potential customers reading all this would like to know as well. As for there product being good or bad, that's not my call. I have no stake in this myself, just curiosity, and from what I've read here in the forms it's not just Intelligent Grow with problems, but I'm not into dropping names. I do hope for the best for you on this problem. So, David; you're up. Let us all know what you have found.

You can't please 100% people 100% of the time. This is true about everything in life.
LED lighting is a new technology on the market and definitely needs some more experimentation for sure. If someone's just out to make a quick fast buck, a fly-by-night outfit, there is not much that can be done by an individual. If someone demands TOP dollar for their product, testing needs to be done. Some problems will be apparent almost instantly. Others may take over a year or 2 to appear. Paying top dollar should not include being a guinnea pig. The product should be thoroughly tested and refined. When you pay for a Cadillac, you don't expect a Gremlin. But what can we do with a gremlin? When I was in highschool, a buddy put a blown 350 motor in his gremlin, making it one of the fastest cars in the town I grew up in. That didn't make it the best car, or nicest car. Just the fastest.
This quickly growing industry will have all sorts of magic elixir salesmen claiming this and that. We, being medicinal or recreational users, are, despite the stereotype, not stupid. We know a gremlin when we see one, and we sure know what a Cadillac is once we've driven one.
They put out the product, we in essence test it and give our finding. It is us as a growing group of growers for whatever purpose you have, that have the say in what is good and what isn't.
Fly by nights don't survive long anywhere. They get weeded out fairly quickly. It's a process.
Just because I didn't post for a couple years reading the forums does not mean I don't read the forums. I did my research before buying. Igro was and still is a new product. I have seen and tasted first hand the difference between bulb and LED and in my opinion LED should be the next evolution in the field. We know the costs of Chinese imports. We know the costs of American made. We know the cost of individual lights and lenses. Someone pawning off a $500-$750 light for $1200-$1500 will soon find 2 things. 1- china will steal your light and reproduce it and sell it for fair market value and 2- just because we are "stoners" or "medicated" does not mean we are stupid.

Leaving one question. " what's the best ...." You can ask 100 people this and get 50 different answers. It's all relative to the individual and their experience. Just because my first LED experience was a collosal failure does not mean I give up on it. The market for these products will only get bigger as medicinal laws world wide change. For a serious engineer, this could be your chance (would have been better if you started r&d 2 years ago though).
Will I buy igro again? Unknown. Ask me in 6 months. For now, I'm open to suggestions and debate, but I am leaning towards California light works solarstorm. That was my initial thoughts when I was doing my research last year, but came across a few journals on the igro. The control functions are what sold me on igro. The ability to have a morning, afternoon and evening auto cycle just makes sense.
/Long pointless rant off

And no Jandre, still can't pm until 50 posts. I'm working on it :)

That was neither pointless, nor a rant. It was your honest opinion, and it is your right to express it in this public forum. I know that it is not completely my fault, but I do feel bad for the part I played in your decision to invest into Intelligent-Gro. I am completely embarrassed at the outcome of all this. Getting feedback from everyone about this has been an eye-opener, for sure. I just want everyone to know that I had ZERO knowledge of all of this, until I was confronted about it a few days ago. I'm just glad that my only affiliation with that company was in testing their lights, which, ironically, suffered the same type of failure. There is a replacement on the way, and I will keep all here informed about what's going on with that in this thread.

Both of the test journals for Intelligent-Gro have now been closed, and locked, so no further posts can be made over there.

I'm so sorry things went this way.

I do not blame you at all Jandre. Shit happens. When I made my final decision it was my choice. It's what we learn from our mistakes that helps us grow, if you pardon the pun. I know what bad publicity can do to a company, especially a smaller, starting company. My intention is not to bash the igro product. If we run that product into the ground, the product just simply vanishes and is forgotten, Faulty bypass diode, improper thermal compound issues aside. There is great potential for igro. As a backyard horticulturist and medicinal marijuana user, I do see its uses and believe it could be a phenomenal addition to any bloom box. I am upset with what happened, don't get me wrong there, I'm all sorts of pissed off..... But as of right now, David has made good on his claims and we will see what happens from there.
I cannot stress this enough though: if distributors or resellers or manufacturers don't get their stuff figured out, word will spread. Best advertising possible is word of mouth testimonials. But the tongue is a double edged sword. Best worded dissatisfaction journal could just possibly wipe you out.
Think about it....

I do not blame you at all Jandre. Shit happens. When I made my final decision it was my choice. It's what we learn from our mistakes that helps us grow, if you pardon the pun. I know what bad publicity can do to a company, especially a smaller, starting company. My intention is not to bash the igro product. If we run that product into the ground, the product just simply vanishes and is forgotten, Faulty bypass diode, improper thermal compound issues aside. There is great potential for igro. As a backyard horticulturist and medicinal marijuana user, I do see its uses and believe it could be a phenomenal addition to any bloom box. I am upset with what happened, don't get me wrong there, I'm all sorts of pissed off..... But as of right now, David has made good on his claims and we will see what happens from there.
I cannot stress this enough though: if distributors or resellers or manufacturers don't get their stuff figured out, word will spread. Best advertising possible is word of mouth testimonials. But the tongue is a double edged sword. Best worded dissatisfaction journal could just possibly wipe you out.
Think about it....

I completely agree, and is precisely why the journals were closed and locked. I will not bash the lights at all because, although RIGHT NOW they are riddled with issues, they do have a boatload of potential. The problem is that while the product if the bugs were to get worked out, My 420Mag Family has been treated improperly, and unprofessionally. My own experiences with the owner aside, there are others that have received a very poor experience when things went wrong. As far as I'm concerned, any company, no matter how large or small, could have the best of products but if the customer service, and warranty service is a nightmare and insulting, no amount of good in the product will outweigh that. In my honest opinion, a company is only as good as its service; If it's not up to snuff, the company is pretty much doomed.

Back
Top Bottom