Keep killing seedlings in solo cup

Badgrower5394

420 Member
I either water them or underwater them. I just can't find the way. Read so much stuff about watering. And I can water well once they are slithly big. But I have so many issues with seedlings. Help.

Less is more when watering seedlings. When you do water them just gently water around the base of the plant just enough to make the soil moist don't water to the point of run off. Don't water again until the pot feels light when it does water the same way I mentioned above. Once it gets a little bigger and more established you can water the whole pot and again don't water until the pot feels light when you pick it up.

If you squeeze a ball of soil and it doesn't immediately fall apart, it's moist (or you have a handful of red clay, lol). If you then throw it at the wall and it sticks - or slides down, leaving a mud trail along the wall - it's too wet.

Add lots of perlite. Then add some more ;) . "Overwatered" typically equates to insufficient oxygen available at the root zone. Ever wonder how people can grow plants in a big plastic tote/bucket full of water? They oxygenate the liquid constantly. If they didn't, they'd be looking at the same issues that you see when you "overwater." Except that they wouldn't call it that, they'd use terms like "insufficient dissolved oxygen in the nutrient solution." It's the same thing, though.

Start in Rapid Rooters and as soon as you see a root (3ish days from dropping it in the rooter) then move it to the final pot you harvest from. Leave about 1/4 inch of the rooter above ground. Make sure to use a soil designed for weed and 25-30% perlite.

From there every morning give 4 or 6 ounces water in the morning and check before bed. Water in a circle around the rooter.

Running them under 150/200w wall pull LED lights as soon as I see a root. (30 inches from plant to light but as they grow you'll need to lower light) Haven't lost any yet but remember they are babies and need checked religiously.

Through trial and much error, I settled on Jiffy pellets. I cut netting off to and bottom, get a dry weight, then
totally saturate and get that weight. I let 15-20 grams evaporate off while sitting on a heat mat and then
insert seeds that have been soaking in dilute liquid seaweed mix for eight hrs. 50-60 hrs. later, into pre-
moistened final they go. Just the bastardization of processes that works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_211326875.jpg
    IMG_20200314_211326875.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20200314_212549496.jpg
    IMG_20200314_212549496.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20200315_000913639.jpg
    IMG_20200315_000913639.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20200318_064535518.jpg
    IMG_20200318_064535518.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20200318_064957743.jpg
    IMG_20200318_064957743.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20200318_183622125_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200318_183622125_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
Grow your seedlings in coco
Make sure the solo cup has plenty of holes punched in the bottom
Almost impossible to over water

I start the dry seed 1cm down in a Jiffy pellet (crater up point down) until head up (no watering or misting required, just the wet Jiffy).
Then straight into coco (within 2 days of head up) in a 4-6" plastic pot, and 1/4 nutes watered through every day.

Works a treat.

If you squeeze a ball of soil and it doesn't immediately fall apart, it's moist (or you have a handful of red clay, lol). If you then throw it at the wall and it sticks - or slides down, leaving a mud trail along the wall - it's too wet.

Add lots of perlite. Then add some more ;) . "Overwatered" typically equates to insufficient oxygen available at the root zone. Ever wonder how people can grow plants in a big plastic tote/bucket full of water? They oxygenate the liquid constantly. If they didn't, they'd be looking at the same issues that you see when you "overwater." Except that they wouldn't call it that, they'd use terms like "insufficient dissolved oxygen in the nutrient solution." It's the same thing, though.
OK so, lots of perlite will do the trick?

OK so, lots of perlite will do the trick?

If your soil is really dense, it's going to make it difficult for your plant's roots to start growing. Adding perlite will help deliver water/nutrients to the roots that need it.

For soil, I thinks it's all about weight. Get to know how the cups feel when wet and dry. You'll be able to catch on pretty quickly when the soil is dry and needs to be fed. I personally avoid watering everyday, as that can lead to early root rot.

If your soil is really dense, it's going to make it difficult for your plant's roots to start growing. Adding perlite will help deliver water/nutrients to the roots that need it.

For soil, I thinks it's all about weight. Get to know how the cups feel when wet and dry. You'll be able to catch on pretty quickly when the soil is dry and needs to be fed. I personally avoid watering everyday, as that can lead to early root rot.
Dry is 60g fully saturated about 110g, but should i saturate it as soon as i put the seed in?

Dry is 60g fully saturated about 110g, but should i saturate it as soon as i put the seed in?

Water the medium down before putting the seed in. Are you using any sort of germification method?

Paper towel

I would just make sure the soil is moist (not soaked) and you obviously plant the seedling root down. Keep up the humidity and light once planted. When do you seem to have an issue? Is it getting the seedling to sprout at all, or are you killing it after it's sprouted?

I would just make sure the soil is moist (not soaked) and you obviously plant the seedling root down. Keep up the humidity and light once planted. When do you seem to have an issue? Is it getting the seedling to sprout at all, or are you killing it after it's sprouted?
I've killed a few after they sprouted (immediately after). Idk it's so hard to water when they are so small. Too little and they die too much and they die

I can promise you overwatering is way more common of an issue than underwatering. Again, learn how to water based on weight. It’s a fool proof system.

I've killed a few after they sprouted (immediately after). Idk it's so hard to water when they are so small. Too little and they die too much and they die
Have you tried jiffy pods? They are made out of coco coir so don’t hold as much water.

Some methods work for some but not others. It sounds like you have small container problems.

As mentioned start the seeds in rapid Rooters, all you do is dip the rooter in PH'd or distilled water, squeeze out about half the water then put it in a cheap plastic dome seedling tray. Drop the seed in sideways and cover loosely with some torn off rapid rooter sponge.

Put it under a low wattage CFL light either on a seedling heat pad or somewhere warm and wait.

No rewatering, no mistakes to be made. If it looks like dried mud add 2-3 drops and reclose the seedling tray.

In 2-3 days you'll see a tap root sticking out of the rooter and it's ready to go into it's final pot.

Once in the final pot you just water 4-6 ounces a day in circles around the seedling in circles for a week or two.

The rapid rooter has root hormones to establish a good root system which is critical to get a seedling to thrive.

Don't even paper towel sprout them, directly into the rapid rooter and let nature do it like it has for millions of years.

As for on the top down or flat down, drop a seed on a table 100 times and it'll land on it's side every time just like it would dropping off an outside plant. So drop it in the rooter and move it into it's side.

As soon as they are in the final pot put it under your LED grow light at the manufacturer specified hight for your grow light.

No muss, no fuss, no transplanting, and reduces the number of steps to make mistakes on.

GL bro

I can promise you overwatering is way more common of an issue than underwatering. Again, learn how to water based on weight. It’s a fool proof system.
Ok so, the cut with no water is 60g, fully saturated its 110g, when do i water? I cant wait until its 60g obliviously because the Root didn't reach that deep yet, thats my issue... So dont know if the top is dry or wet still

People who have issues with germination or the seedling stage of cannabis should, IMHO, go to the store and spend a dollar or two on a couple packets of fruit/vegetable/etc. garden seeds. They're far cheaper to experiment on, easier to source, there are typically far more seeds in a packet of <food crop> than there are in a packet of <cannabis strain>... and you end up with something to eat ;) .

Back
Top Bottom